How Much Water Do I Add To My Chemical Toilet?

Message added by CT Advertising,

Prima logo.png

See more information on the different Thetford Toilet Chemicals available from Prima Leisure. 

Helping you to maintain your caravan cassette toilet. 

Well worth checking out! 

Don't know about your Elsan but Thetford recommend adding 3 litres of water to an 18 litre capacity bottom tank when preparing the loo for use.

For the top flush tank you need to also establish the capacity then follow the recommendations on the Pink fluid bottle.

Similarly you need to follow the instructions /recommendations for the Blue fluid which goes directly into the bottom tank.

The BLUE does NOT go in the top tank, sorry to labour the point but I have seen too many loos with the Flush water blue.

Edited by b4bill

I know this is wrong but I don't add any water to the bottom tank. My wonderful children will flush away half the top tank in one sitting :angry: Well not quite, but you get the idea, the water/wee ratio is good :P

Regards,

Kevin

Honda F-RV towing 1999 Bailey Senator Montana

I've also seen the instructions, 3 litres etc, so I do find myself putting a bit of water in after an empty/blue recharge, but then I always wonder why the heck I'm doing this. If we consider that urine is roughly 95% water then why should we need to add any water at all? Also the previous post about the copious use of flush by those who don't have to do the emptying is also a good one and adds significantly to the H2O/chemical ratio! My conclusion is that the instructions for this must be written by people who like us to empty the tank more often. .... and that would be Thetford/Elsan wouldn't it? That said, I do add a litre or so in the bottom at the end of a weekend so that it's ready to go next time out and also I feel it probably keeps the bottom of the tank clean to some extent. Otherwise surely 3 litres is just for those who might actually enjoy emptying the thing?

I just put the blue in then fill the cap/measure with water to get all the blue to go in.

Never realized an extra 3 ltrs of fresh water was supposed to go in too. Had no known problem, I suppose we soon have 3 ltrs. of our own water in.

Try to use as little flushing water as possible, to make emptying intervals as long as possible.

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

we implement the no No2 rule in our van. .. well try anyway ;)

Regards,

Kevin

Honda F-RV towing 1999 Bailey Senator Montana

Don't know about your Elsan but Thetford recommend adding 3 litres of water to an 18 litre capacity bottom tank when preparing the loo for use.

For the top flush tank you need to also establish the capacity then follow the recommendations on the Pink fluid bottle.

Similarly you need to follow the instructions /recommendations for the Blue fluid which goes directly into the bottom tank.

The BLUE does NOT go in the top tank, sorry to labour the point but I have seen too many loos with the Flush water blue.

Oops. I've been putting the blue in the top flush!

I normally just autoflush once after blue added and leave it at that. .......no limit on what bodily products go into my Thetford. .I am not in Cyprus or Greece where things are removed. .....!

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

A friend of mine buys the blue things. ........there round with a hole in the middle. ..... supposed to go in your home toilet, rather than the pink stuff. He cuts them into four segments adds a quarter to the flush tank then tops it up with water. ..... (Not the cassette toilet). He said its alot cheaper, and it smells just as good too. ... ;)

Citroen ds4 2. 0 hdi 163bhp Lunar Venus 500 2012.

On the toilet thing what toilet paper do you use

Same as at home Springforce from Tesco, 9 rolls £1-99.

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

we implement the no No2 rule in our van. .. well try anyway ;)

We don't! It's a toilet.

Oops. I've been putting the blue in the top flush!

Oh dear ! Doesn't anyone ever read the instructions on the side of the bottle ? :rolleyes:

Edited by Shirl250

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

(Re: No. 2's )

Why have a loo and not use it? Why walk out in the cold and wet when you have a loo that's warm and dry?

Why wash-up 500 yds away when you are 1/2 metre from the sink?

Why?

Cos we are all different and I'm right but all the rest are wrong except for SWMBO who is perfect but not always right!

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Got a Elsan 2 part loo but i havent a clue how much water to add to the bottom compartment and the flushing one got the blue liquid and pink rinse liquid so how much water do i need to add???? help!!

I have never seen the point myself, I empty the loo rinse it out add 50ml of blue and put it back in the caravan, it soon has enough liquid in there anyway without starting it off with ome thing.

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

I wish we were organised enough to know what is going into the toilet just after the water/blue has been added. If I could rely on it topping itself up with watery waste before anyone did anything else, I could save a whole 3 litres of water.

I suppose if I was able to remember to pack my folding shovel and pitch up near some dock leaves, we could implement the no number 2 rule too!!

Back to the original post, the figures given seem right for most loos. I'm sure a phone call to Elsan would come up trumps if you think it's too much/too little!

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see (GK Chesterton)

There's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong equipment (Alfred Wainwright)

I put the amount of blue as recommended on the bottle and just put a glug or two of water, never had any problems but when you have 6 + the kids friends I end up emptying it every day :o

Funny how its the only job I have never managed to get anybody else to do :lol:

Rob

04 Volvo V70 d5se---99 Coachman Amara 500/5

Oh dear ! Doesn't anyone ever read the instructions on the side of the bottle ? :rolleyes:

In my defence. when we got the caravan there was already blue in top chamber. on reading the label on my blue today it tells you how much to use but doesn't tell you where to put it.

In my defence. when we got the caravan there was already blue in top chamber. on reading the label on my blue today it tells you how much to use but doesn't tell you where to put it.

That may have been Organic Blue which can be put in both the top and the bottom. We use Elsan Organic most of the time now as we use CL's and it is formaldehyde free and is therefore ok in sesspits and soakaways etc :)

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

On the toilet thing what toilet paper do you use

Telegraph, Mirror, Financial Times! :) :)

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

We use 1 Bio Tab Washing gel and two pints of water. (cheap from Aldi)

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

I always empty our toilet - hubby wont go near it - I always did blue in the bottom tank with 2 litres of water until someone suggested that means less toilet usage before emptying - so now it is blue with a splash of water and never had any problems and pink in the flush tank with lots of water

Live life to the full you are a long time dead

I always empty it too. Hubby has to carry it there though as a penance for being so squeamish ! He likes to carry it back so that he can pretend he did it - bless him ! :rolleyes: