Lpg Tug

Guest del

very close now to changing the trusty and reliable Fronty 2. 2 diesel for a Fronty 3,2 V6 which we intend to convert to LPG. Now I have done a lot of research, conversion cost, fuel aviability, consumption, poer etc and have almost decided to go ahead. the thought of a V6 3. 2 at the same running cost as a the current diesel is swaying me ( back to the boy racer days of my old V6 cars of days gone by). Well my question is has anyone here had an LPG conversion and loved or hated it?

the converted has sugested a dual tank with a 13 gallon gas / 8 gallon petrol capacity and the system would have anautomatic change over fro petrol to gas and visa versa. sounds very god and have checked and LPG is available from thurso to Cornwall.

Well my question is has anyone here had an LPG conversion and loved or hated it?

48310[/snapback]

Quite simply - "Loved it".

I'm sure that the fuel tax currently charged on LPG will rise, but this is unlikely to happen overnight, so there are still significant savings to be made in the running costs for now. I have a 4. 7ltr V8 Jeep that runs on LPG. The fuel costs compare favourably with a 1. 2ltr petrol engine (currently about 9p/mile where I live). We had our conversion carried out in 2002, and the Prins system fitted by Gastech in Huntingdon has proved faultless since then. It took approximately 6 months running to recover the conversion cost.

The choice of fuel tank will obviously depend upon available space, but I would suggest you fit the largest LPG tank possible. I have a 100ltr torroidal tank fitted into the spare wheel well. This has the advantage that the original petrol tank is unaffected, so the effective range between fill-ups is extended to around 750miles if both fuels are used (probably not an option with the Frontera though due to available space). The spare wheel was relocated on a bespoke mounting bracket within the boot area.

If you do decide to go ahead, be sure to purchase a good quality system that uses metal injectors, as some of the cheaper ones use a hard plastic compound that are prone to premature wear, necessitating replacement. Servicing of the LPG system amounts to annual replacement of the in-line fuel filter, and a diagnostics check.

I hope that's some help, but please feel free to PM me with any questions, or add them to this thread.

Regards,

Gordon.

JeepLPG1.jpgJeepLPG2.jpgJeepLPG3.jpgJeepLPG4.jpg

Take a look at this poll and let us know what you think.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

I have just been issued with a dual fuel company van and whilst there appears to be no difference in performance, and the cost per mile equates to a very economical diesel .( and London driving is now conjestion charge free)

I find the downside is trying to buy LPG, I have 3 garages within 4/5 miles of where I live and there is always a problem in finding a garage either with LPG in stock or one having a working gas pump ,

On a recent trip to Norwich from SE London I PASSED only 2 garages selling LPG there may have been others off the route but you would need to know where they are I have now obtained an up date for Autoroute which shows all LPG outlets in the UK which helps when planning routes . I cant remember the site I obtained the update, but a little research on the www will find it

I also understand that there are issues with premature failure of valve seats following extended use of LPG, and even my factory converted van comes with a recomendation to run on petrol occasionally to keep injectors clean etc

so it not all plain sailing . Good luck

loved or hated it?

48310[/snapback]

Loved it. I have a 1993 Disco V8 which I had fitted with an LPG conversion when I bought it just over 3 years ago. I've done about 45,000 miles with absolutely no problems. Mine has the simple open-loop system with a venturi ahead of the plenum chamber, made by Landi Renzo. It has twin 30 litre under-sill tanks and was fitted by EnviroGas in Portway south of Birmingham - it seems to have been a good professional fitment. I have also fitted the ignition advance unit made by RPI website which gives an extra 10 degrees or so (adjustable) advance when running on gas - with this there is no appreciable difference in performance. I also fitted their Magnacore HT leads as there is thought to be a greater tendency for spark leakage with LPG.

I previously had a Triumph Stag which I also had converted to LPG but this was not quite as successful - partly because the converters were not such a professional crew, partly as I don't think cars with carburettors lend themselves to conversion as well as FI.

Downsides:

As sparkey says it can be difficult to find suppliers - this site is useful. I've downloaded this & converted it for Autoroute. Northern Scotland is a bit of a desert (but then so it is for petrol). France is well supplied with stations especially on the autoroute, as is Italy, but other countries are less well provided for.

My advice would be not to just drive around looking for a filling station but to find out where they are on your intended route and plan it a bit more carefully.

The range on full tanks is also a bit limited - 150 miles solo, 120 or so towing. But of course you can always revert to petrol if necessary. I think I've filled up with petrol about 4 times in the last year - but only when the tank has got to about half full. So that's a couple of tankfuls.

Hope this helps

No Problem with the Volvo, there are twice as many LPG stations off forecourt as there are on, off forecourt tend to be between 5 and 14 pence per litre cheaper, shell garages are the dearest i have seen at 43 pence per litre.

Go to a LPGA aproved installer and the whole lot with be fitted with out a worry.

Rod

No Problem with the Volvo, there are twice as many LPG stations off forecourt as there are on, off forecourt tend to be between 5 and 14 pence per litre cheaper, shell garages are the dearest i have seen at 43 pence per litre.

Go to a LPGA aproved installer and the whole lot with be fitted with out a worry.

Rod

48577[/snapback]

The only problem with some of the off-forecourt places is that they need you to do a 3 point turn. A bit tricky with the Pageant on the back. ....

Some forecourts can be awkward as well if you're towing. Shell Bristol Crabb's Cross (which used to be very cheap, a year or so ago) and Tebay Diesel Services spring to mind.

Speaking of cheap LPG, Morrisons in Small Heath, Birmingham was 29p a litre for absolutely ages but has now gone up to 39p. I think it might have been a mistake - always queues of LPG powered taxis waiting to fill up.

• 2 weeks later...

LPG - personally for me its been great.

My Jeep came ready converted, the only down side being the previous owner decided to fit the LPG tank in the boot with a loss of boot space. However it also meant that the previous owner virtually bore all of the conversion cost so it took me very little time before I was in profit.

Given the choice I would always go for the underslung combined tank, replacing the original petrol tank normally with 70/30 split in favour of LPG. Its usually Disco's and Range Rovers that have the extra underslung tanks and retain the original petrol tank. That way you keep all the boot space.

My Jeep does the equivalent of 38mpg on LPG, no noticeable loss of power, and because I have two full size fuel tanks has a huge range between re fuelling. The satisfaction of paying just over £24 for 80 litres of fuel takes some beating!

When away from home I tend to plan my route carefully plotting the locations of LPG stations on my map and if needing to refuel en route with the caravan ring the stations to enquire about access - as has already been mentioned some are a tad difficult to get to!

In my experience LPG seems to be at its best on fairly simple engines, my Jeep and the Range Rover/Disco spring to mind. On more complex engine management systems the conversion appears to be problematical. A friend had an Omega 2. 5 V6 converted and had nothing but trouble despite the best efforts of a very capable installer.

My local Police Force has stopped running their fleet of Volvo T5 estates on LPG due to persistent problems with engine management issues.

My biggest piece of advice would be to choose your installer very carefully, speak to people who have used the installer and listen to their experiences and obviously use the internet - I believe there is an LPG users website which may be of help.

Good luck