We would love to know what makes caravanning your passion and hobby.

Give us two reasons as to why you think caravanning is the way forward and why you love it!

It may be the freedom you get from it - going anywhere you want in the country, a wide selection of campsites, meeting new people, being in the outdoors, a family tradition, affordability and flexibility, the list is endless!

List your reasons below :)

Broad Lane Leisure

Making outdoors a pleasure since 1971

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

The first reason our caravan is our passion and our hobby is that it is our own space, adjusted to meet our needs perfectly. This makes our holidays just right for all the family.

The second reason has to be the excuse to go and see Alan at Broadlane in Alcester to allow him to take our money every 3 years for another new 'van !! Great dealer, great stock. Not the cheapest, but service levels and aftercare are second to none.

Thanks BLL

The first reason our caravan is our passion and our hobby is that it is our own space, adjusted to meet our needs perfectly. This makes our holidays just right for all the family.

The second reason has to be the excuse to go and see Alan at Broadlane in Alcester to allow him to take our money every 3 years for another new 'van !! Great dealer, great stock. Not the cheapest, but service levels and aftercare are second to none.

Thanks BLL

Flattery might get you a discount lol

Thanks BLL

Thank you for those very kind words :)

Broad Lane Leisure

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Granted, I'm a miserable old so-and-so, but caravanning really isn't actually my passion or my hobby.

Caravanning to me is a means to an end. If I want to visit an area then using a caravan is probably the best way to do it. After all, what are the alternatives?

I've stayed in hotels from ones where the evening entertainment was listening to the rats and the snakes stalking each other in what passed as a roof to Michelin five star where the day-time entertainment was the rats and the snakes stalking each other in the conference rooms. And just about everything in between. Few of them were anything but cramped and cost well over what they were worth, so they are not where I want to rest my head.

Renting a cottage/gite is not something you can do at short notice. And I have yet to find one where there wasn't definitive proof that the camera can lie.

Which brings us to camping. There is no way I'm going to put up a tent on arrival, because it will always be raining and/or blowing a gale. And, anyway, SWMBO wouldn't be very happy. That's me being a master of understatement.

Which leaves caravans and motor caravans and of them I prefer the former.

My caravan provides flexibility, comfort and economy. But the day we decide that we don't want to travel anymore it will be gone without a backward glance.

2006 Ford Transit 'day-van' in a delicate shade of ex-RAC orange.

2006 Elddis Avante 636 TA in off-white - usually.

No Land Rovers at the moment.

Granted, I'm a miserable old so-and-so, but caravanning really isn't actually my passion or my hobby.

Caravanning to me is a means to an end. If I want to visit an area then using a caravan is probably the best way to do it. After all, what are the alternatives?

I've stayed in hotels from ones where the evening entertainment was listening to the rats and the snakes stalking each other in what passed as a roof to Michelin five star where the day-time entertainment was the rats and the snakes stalking each other in the conference rooms. And just about everything in between. Few of them were anything but cramped and cost well over what they were worth, so they are not where I want to rest my head.

Renting a cottage/gite is not something you can do at short notice. And I have yet to find one where there wasn't definitive proof that the camera can lie.

Which brings us to camping. There is no way I'm going to put up a tent on arrival, because it will always be raining and/or blowing a gale. And, anyway, SWMBO wouldn't be very happy. That's me being a master of understatement.

Which leaves caravans and motor caravans and of them I prefer the former.

My caravan provides flexibility, comfort and economy. But the day we decide that we don't want to travel anymore it will be gone without a backward glance.

Not sure most of us with newer caravans would agree with economy with running bigger cars, insurance, depreciation, servicing cost for the car and caravan . i m looking at £5k a year . But i still enjoy getting away in the caravan .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

With the caravan we have so many holidays throughout the year (weekends, long weekends, weeks) that there is always something to look forward to. When we arrive I love setting up our 'little house' with all our stuff about us. When we are there we get to explore on our bikes bits of the countryside that we probably wouldn't otherwise. And when we are not caravanning we get to constantly plan where we are going and what we are going to do when we are there.

For us caravanning is more a 'lifestyle' than just a means to have a holiday now and then. :)

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

Unfortunately I seem to spend more thoughts and money on caravanning, than actually enjoying doing it. I'm always ploughing through the forums, looking for the next accessory or the next must-have!! Putting the latest caravans on our wish list!!

But fortunately I have 2 years 1 month and 20 days (yes counting down) until I can hang up my hard hat and ear defenders. We then intend travelling Europe and the parts of the UK we have missed since we first hitched a caravan onto a car.

So Caravanning we love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise

With the caravan we have so many holidays throughout the year (weekends, long weekends, weeks) that there is always something to look forward to. When we arrive I love setting up our 'little house' with all our stuff about us. When we are there we get to explore on our bikes bits of the countryside that we probably wouldn't otherwise. And when we are not caravanning we get to constantly plan where we are going and what we are going to do when we are there.

For us caravanning is more a 'lifestyle' than just a means to have a holiday now and then. :)

Couldn't agree more - we believe caravanning is more of a lifestyle then just a hobby. At the end of the day it's what you make of it, and by the sounds of it you really love it from planning and organising to setting up and exploring the area!

Broad Lane Leisure

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Our car and caravan are probably worth less than 5k combined!

We need a base for hillwalking and other outdoors activities and were growing tired of putting up, drying out and packing away a wet tent every weekend. At one point we had so much camping stuff that we were using a roofbox and an Erde sized trailer to transport it all. We very nearly bought a motorhome until we began researching the practicalities. On paper the caravan makes much more sense to us than either camping or a motorhome.

Owning a caravan is the best thing we have ever done. It is definitely a lot more than hobby for us.

Like you say, the list is endless!.

We have now ( this month ) been caravanning for 30 years and really can not see us without one. .

We like to get away at the weekend in the dales and just chill out and have BBQ and meet others, we really only use our house for through the week and go to work then at weekends we are away even in the winter so we use it all year .

I think it has become a way of life for us . FANTASTIC ;)

Range Rover DHSE + ABI Award Transtar
Caravanning for 30 years

most of the reasons have been mentioned above, but one of the things i love is the "spur of the moment" thing, ok mumma pack the van were off . ..... its just there whenever you want it, and its yours, Stu

Vauxhall Astra Sports Tourer & Elddis Crusader Hurricane

Thanks BLL

I pop in to see him quite often -- he always has his pen ready for you to sign an order form!. Great company

to deal with!

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

To OP-

1) we love the GB climate and love the attractions across the country. Caravanning gives us a no aggro, quiet and entertaining way of staying in places.

2) dont have to use communal facilities, never use service station toilets, always can cook food we want.

All at what works out thus far to be £57 per night (and decreasing with each stay).

X-trail and our wonderful Coachman Amara 450/2 Bailey Senator Wyoming palace!

We prefer to use ours abroad. When we retired 4 years ago we bought our first caravan and spent a year ravelling Europe, seeing places we would otherwise never have seen. . We enjoyed it so much we are having another year out this year.

Cost is an important factor. We have let our house for a year, so have no home costs (gas, electric, council tax etc) to worry about, and I am finding that the costs of living (site fees, food, drink) are the same as we would have been paying for the overall home costs. The only "extra" is the cost of travelling, i. e. fuel, tolls, ferries.

The caravan gives us the flexibility. If we like somewhere we stop longer. If we don't like it we move on.

Hyundai Santa Fe CRD auto + Burstner Belcanto 525 TL

http://www. oldagetraveller. net/

Not sure most of us with newer caravans would agree with economy with running bigger cars, insurance, depreciation, servicing cost for the car and caravan . i m looking at £5k a year . But i still enjoy getting away in the caravan .

Dave

I don't suppose we spend £5K a year, but even if we did, divided by the 30 nights we spend on our main holiday, that's only £167 per night and that is very little more than the cost for bed, breakfast and dinner in an Ibis hotel in France.

But it is the flexibiolity that is the big draw.

Not sure how much longer we can carry on using the caravan with increase in site prices, metered pitches, increase in fuel prices, increase in insurance prices, increase in caravanning serving costs and increase in general cost of living reducing your amount of spend every year!

Having said that if the price of fuel came down and site prices became reasonable again, we would be more adventurous and go out more often.

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being me.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd 3. 0L auto

Lunar Delta TI

Caravanning for us means- we ain't got to put up that ****** trailer tent again!!!! and we can go when and where we like!

Volvo XC90 D5 AWD, Lunar Ultima 615,Towing at 62%

You have a second chance at life it's called tomorrow!

I tend to work on a cost per trip basis and that can be calculated by taking items from the following list where applicable.

Travel insurance

Ferry/tunnel costs

Fuel

Tolls

Campsite charges

Meals out

Fun money

Add this lot up and divide by the number of nights.

I don't include food as we would be spending that money anyway, nor do I include depreciation on the Transit. I suppose I should include depreciation on the caravan, but it's 6 years old so there probably isn't much.

By far-and-away the single biggest cost is fuel. But then it would be whatever accomodation we used.

The alternative seems to be a package holiday. I tried that in 1980 and I still bear the emotional scars.

When we first started we divided the number of trips by the cost of the van. The first few trips were really expensive ! :D

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

Fuel is our biggest cost.

How do you guys work out your cost per night?

Until you actually sell the van it is impossible to accurately calculate the deprecition cost so I am afraid I ignore it. When travelling long term I run an excel spreadsheet with columns for site fees (including any additional electric charge), fuel, groceries, eating out, drinks/snacks, tolls, fares and/or parking, admission charges, wifi, laundry. Provides a daily figure.

Hyundai Santa Fe CRD auto + Burstner Belcanto 525 TL

http://www. oldagetraveller. net/

Until you actually sell the van it is impossible to accurately calculate the deprecition cost so I am afraid I ignore it. When travelling long term I run an excel spreadsheet with columns for site fees (including any additional electric charge), fuel, groceries, eating out, drinks/snacks, tolls, fares and/or parking, admission charges, wifi, laundry. Provides a daily figure.

From your list I would definitely add wi-fi and laundry. Groceries I think are a moot point, as we'd be buying them anyway. However, there are probably a few more treats in the trolley while away and if abroad the weekly shop can be much more expensive, even comparing Lidl with Lidl.

We bought our 1st caravan when our daughter was 3 months old so we could get away more than the '2 weeks in the sun' summer holiday & enjoy it for the reason we can get away more frequently, although for the last 3 years our trips have mainly been to the same site. Hoping this will change next year as will either do a mini tour (Somerset, Devon & Dorset) or, fingers crossed, over to Brittany!!

Our biggest cost is most definitely fuel, but as we go further afield this will go up higher. Have to say, we really don't bother working out the 'cost per night'. As long as the site is under £25 a night (but ideally half that!!) then we're happy, & depreciation isn't a consideration as our caravan only cost £2. 5k when we bought her & last time I looked the same model was selling for over £3k!! (the beauty of a lightweight 5 berth!!)

2005 Bessacarr Cameo 635 gl & 2005 Nissan Terrano II SVE Di 3. 0l