Sign in to follow this  
mpwboxster

Gas Oven Problems

Hi everybody - I tried to use the gas oven over the weekend rather than blast everything in the microwave managed to light the pilot with no problem but the oven never seemed to get hit or the burner get any brighter. It was as if the only thing that worked was the pilot anybody got any suggestions it's an old tourer 1996 abbey cachet but the oven appears to be a very common unit in the older caravans.

Cheers

Is the Hob working? Or the grill?

Yes sorry grill and hob working fine - it's just the oven that doesn't seem to increase in flame from pilot.

this is a stab but could it be slight blockage of the jet ? something similar happened to my grill and the dealer blew some compressed air through it and fixed it

Can you actually hear the Gas before ignition ? I know I can hear mine before I hit the ignition button. Sounds like a blockage. To be honest I have had 5 caravans in the near 20 years of Touring and I didn't find any of the Ovens very efficient. Takes ages to do a Pizza never mind a Sunday Roast. Oor Oven is used as a extra cupboard. Been checked and serviced and looks the bit but simply doesn't hold the heat.

GAS. ............ :angry:

Edited by Grumpy Auld Smeesh

Perhaps it is working after all the pilot certainly lights so the gas is getting through the flame doesn't seem to get any more intense though then again I'm judging that against a domestic gas oven might need to stick to microwave.

Thanks for all the comments much appreciated.

Is the main burner lighting? It's pretty obvious if it is, then you should get a row of flames about an inch high across the whole burner with the control on max. If that's not happening then you've probably got a blocked jet. Some ovens you can get the burner assembly out from the front, others you need to take the oven out to get at it. Don't poke bits of wire down the jet, a bristle form a plastic or bristle brush will clear it otherwise a good blow with a pump or compressed air should do it.

Old might be the clue, but you don't mention what make it is? So for the moment I''ll guess it's a 'Maxol' where this problem is common

In this case it is indeed a blocked jet but the problem is a little deeper, what the problem really is is rust on the inside of the steel gas feed pipe to the jet. Trouble is the tiny flakes drop to the bottom and form a never ending supply of fresh blockages to the jet. Solution then is to remove and clear the pipe as well as clearing the jet

The burner lights across the full length but regardless of the position on the gas dial it remains at the same intensity I did think that the flame would turn up and down similar to the hob but I may be wrong. I will have a look at the weekend and see if it's possible to remove the burner and check for debris etc

Thanks for all the feedback guys much appreciated.

The oven in my static caravan was given an annual safety inspection whilst we were away from site. When we returned 72 hours after this inspection we found that the engineer had left the oven  on and at the highest level for all of this time.

I now find that the flame which previously was a clear blue colour now has significant levels of yellow flame . what are your thoughts?

Welcome but this thread is 8 years old. I suggest you start a new thread in the Static or Gas sections.

Also I suggest you get the engineer back to fix the problem and pay for the gas.