Sign in to follow this  
harvomark

Caravan Weight Upgrade

hi,

We have been looking into getting the weight of our caravan upgraded from 1450kg to 1595kg, we have contacted the manufacturer to confirm this but told us we have to go through a dealer to get the new plate. Just a few questions:

How much does it ususally cost?

What's involved in changing it?

When we sell the caravan can we just replace the existing plate if needed to make it more sellable?

Thanks in advance.

Mark.

hi,

We have been looking into getting the weight of our caravan upgraded from 1450kg to 1595kg, we have contacted the manufacturer to confirm this but told us we have to go through a dealer to get the new plate. Just a few questions:

How much does it ususally cost?

When we sell the caravan can we just replace the existing plate if needed to make it more sellable?

Thanks in advance.

Mark.

I had mine upgraded last year

How much does it usually cost?

About £30 but that depends on the manufacturer

you will need to send your Manufacturers registration document (showing your VIN) back and the fee (you may also have to send the plate) They will in turn send you a new plate and manufacturers registration form with the ungraded weight, you are then have to fit the new plate in the same place as the removed one

You do not need to do anything in fact it may help to sell especially if a buyer needs additional payload

Hope this helps

hi Kiaboy,

Thanks for the reply, brought secondhand not sure if i have the manufacturers registration document, just the CRiS document. Is this what i need?

Thanks.

i had the Bailey upgraded about 18 months ago. i contacted a dealer gave them the details ie CHRIS number paid £55 1 week later recived two blue upgraded stickers for the front and back, new plate stick on and new reg document.

hope that helps

mike

post-1322-0-66118400-1345918735_thumb.jpg

Edited by outnumbered

When I spoke to Swift about this I was told it was £50, to go to my nearest Swift Dealer and do the paperwork/pay then I would get the new plate in due course. So I went, and the dealers did not know how to arrange it and promised to get back in touch when they had found out. That was 8 weeks ago. .....

hi,

Spoke to Lunar and they said i would have to go through any dealer as they can only deal with trade.

Mark.

Save your money and have a look at other threads on this. .. Vosa do not recognize the MTPLM they will use the axle weights or tyre loading. The police use the MTPLM against licence categories, but I'm guessing you already have B+E?

As Deadmeat said. If you go onto the VOSA website their search engine will not respond to MTPLM either in full or as an acronym.

There is a weight limit on the axle. Providing your tyres and hitch are rated higher than that weight (or weights, for a TA) then that is the legal maximum for your van. MTPLM is something that the caravan industry use to bring caravans down to a weight that makes their 'vans towable by a greater range of cars.

I raised my gross caravan weight from 1700kgs to 1900kgs, and I could have gone to 2100kgs if my tow car had had a higher tow limit. Charging for a bit of tin with a new MTPLM printed on it is a rip off.

As Deadmeat said. If you go onto the VOSA website their search engine will not respond to MTPLM either in full or as an acronym.

There is a weight limit on the axle. Providing your tyres and hitch are rated higher than that weight (or weights, for a TA) then that is the legal maximum for your van. MTPLM is something that the caravan industry use to bring caravans down to a weight that makes their 'vans towable by a greater range of cars.

I raised my gross caravan weight from 1700kgs to 1900kgs, and I could have gone to 2100kgs if my tow car had had a higher tow limit. Charging for a bit of tin with a new MTPLM printed on it is a rip off.

My 'MTPLM plate' is a sticky label. It actually is. .. a rip off and throw it in the bin :lol:

I haven't really as I don't have weight issues with this 'van.

I always thought it was a legal requirement to have a weight plate on the side of a caravan until I did some research. Unless the caravan weighs of 2300kgs no need for a plate. However it is always best to ask what the axle weight is so you don't overload. We increased our MTPLM by 105kgs at no cost as it was done prior to delivery.

I always thought it was a legal requirement to have a weight plate on the side of a caravan until I did some research. Unless the caravan weighs of 2300kgs no need for a plate. However it is always best to ask what the axle weight is so you don't overload. We increased our MTPLM by 105kgs at no cost as it was done prior to delivery.

Any reference links or anyone able to corroborate?

Any reference links or anyone able to corroborate?

Sorry that should read 2040kgs for a touring caravan. Have a read here regarding plates. It only refers to goods trailers. However new trailers from October 2012 will require a plate and to be registered by the dealer only. Afterwards it is up to you if you want to register it with CRiS.

If you go onto the VOSA website their search engine will not respond to MTPLM either in full or as an acronym.

That's because it is the equivalent of Maximum Authorised Mass or Gross Vehicle Weight. It seems there is no common use of one terminology and MTPLM is only used by the caravan industry.

The police, DVLA and VOSA use MAM for licence categories as in

Maximum authorised mass

Maximum authorised mass (MAM), used in the context of driving licences, is the maximum weight of a vehicle or trailer including the maximum load that can be carried safely while used on the road. This is also known as gross vehicle weight (GVW) or permissible maximum weight. It will be listed in the owner’s manual and is normally shown on a plate or sticker fitted to the vehicle. The plate or sticker may also show a gross train weight (GTW).

However plates are not required for domestic trailers, i. e. caravans. If no plates, I think the police would use the load rating on the tyres, but getting a conviction would be difficult unless they weighed the unit being towed plus the vehicle to see if maximum train weight is exceeded or trailer weight is highwer than axle weights. To get around this they would probably phrase it differently i. e. "towing in a dangerous manner" or similar, as that covers a lot of issues.

Does any one know if the caravan ALKO chassis has a plate on it showing axle weights and if so, where is it generally located? Thanks.

Does any one know if the caravan ALKO chassis has a plate on it showing axle weights and if so, where is it generally located? Thanks.

Alko, Knott and BPW axles have a plate showing maximum load attached to the axle tube.

Edit:

AFAIK none of the chassis makers mark their chassis with a weight presumably because most are made up of bolted sections to suit the caravan manufacturer's requirements and will be plated by them up to a MTPLM no higher than the axle plated weight .

New trailers and caravans are now required to have plated weights under Type Approval Regulations.

Edited by beejay

Yes my Madrid has a plate (sticker) with serial number and max weight on the axle tube, it's 1600kg. The specified MTPLM of my van is 1596kg so not much scope for an upgrade methinks

As I said in an earlier thread on a similar subject, my van is a TA and both axles are marked as 1000 Kg. The temptation to just remove the MTPLM plate is huge. Swift will only up-rate the van to a maximum of 1800 Kg though.

Just checked my tyres, they are rated at 475 Kg. So gives me up-to 1900 Kg without a plate. Has anyone been stopped with a recent model caravan and no plate and been asked where it is?

New trailers and caravans are now required to have plated weights under Type Approval Regulations.

I thought that was only mandatory from October 2012?

You lot have got me confused!!! :unsure: :unsure: If you can have the payload increased by (paying) just

changing the plate, how does this increase the payload?? ie. my MTPLM is 1400kg. I increase

this to 1500kg. How is a label going to make caravan stronger to accept another 100kg!!! :blush:

Edited by gravon42

When I bought my TA a few months back I realised it didn't have a plate and so I was sticking to what the handbook said until I read a post by Surf01. ("It was all his fault m'lud, I would never 'ave embarked upon such folly if it weren't for 'im, gor bless yer." All accompanied by my best 'up before the beak' cringeing and grovelling and wringing of hands.)

I followed up on what he said and could find no reference to MTPLM on the VOSA site. So I called them. Getting a straight answer out of VOSA is like getting any sort of answer out of a politician who has just managed to find himself/herself in the spotlight for getting caught. Which means I got no actual answers. There was reference to MAM and GTW, but the best I could determine was that the MAM or GVW is what counts here and that is determined by whichever is the lowest from amongst the axle capacities, tyre capacities and hitch capacity. As what is listed in the handbook and on the plate is the MTPLM it is unlikely that VOSA would try and make that stick because it would be thrown out of court on a technicality. This last bit came not from VOSA, but I also checked with a mate of mine who is a solicitor.

So, if you are exceding one of the three criteri mentioned earlier then they will consider taking action. However, there isn't a plate covering these items so they would have to check them. Tyres and hitch are very easy, and the axle weights are easy enough if you aren't overweight like me.

So, I have not bothered getting a new plate and wait to see what happens if/when I get pulled.

Edited by Patrick stoner

You lot have got me confused!!! :unsure: :unsure: If you can have the payload increased by (paying) just

changing the plate, how does this increase the payload?? ie. my MTPLM is 1400kg. I increase

this to 1500kg. How is a label going to make caravan stronger to accept another 100kg!!! :blush:

Most caravans are built on chassis from BPW or Al-Ko and they will often use a chassis with a greater capacity than they need. So, if they use a 1500Kg chassis and want to sell caravans to the widest possible market they rate it at 1400Kg MTPLM so that a greater range of two cars can pull it. So, the caravan is already strong enough to run at 1500Kgs, it was just plated down to widen the market.

Some motorcaravans have the same situation. They will use a 4 tonne chassis cab and plate it down to 3. 5 tonnes so it is driveable by a greater range of drivers.

hi,

Thanks for the replies, i understand the situation with VOSA etc, but what about the insurance companies? are they likely to try (as usual) to use the fact that you are over the weight of the MTPLM the caravan has been plated to not pay out. Also i travel abroad twice a year to different countries and i'm a bit worried about the implications there. Anyway at present two dealers i've asked don't want to know saying they're not a dealer for Lunar even though i have had conformation from Lunar you don't have to be.

Alko, Knott and BPW axles have a plate showing maximum load attached to the axle tube.

Edit:

AFAIK none of the chassis makers mark their chassis with a weight presumably because most are made up of bolted sections to suit the caravan manufacturer's requirements and will be plated by them up to a MTPLM no higher than the axle plated weight .

BPW also have a Chassis plate giving the MAM for the chassis on the side of the A frame usually covered by the A frame cover . Also a plate on the hitch tube on the hitch head .

Any plated weight is taken as a declaration and is used a evidence against a weighbridge ticket . If no plate is fixed the tyre loading are taken as a declaration .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Read the whole thread.

So does that also mean you can replate to reduce the MTPLM?

If foregoing 50kg or 100kg of payload was personally acceptable?

This could be a work around for many B cat licence holders who sometimes need just a smidgen less to get a particular caravan and tow legally.