Fair Price For Passat Towbar?

rascal

After I bought my Passat, my friendly dealer offered to arrange for me to have a detachable towbar fitted locally at trade price which I've just found is £380 for Witter. As I had an ordinary towbar fitted at the ame place last year for £250, I rang another fitting co who offered Towsure detachable at £250. Am I out of touch or is the Witter an average price please?.

Hi Rascal,

I had a Witter fixed towbar, full electrics and removable bumper guard fitted in 2003 for £197. This towbar can be converted to removable but I will have to check the extra cost. The Witter brackets are dearer than Towsure. :(

Here is the link to the Witter site with price lists for bracket and electrics kits,DIY.

http://www. witter-towbars. co. uk/witter_det. ..er_stowbar. aspx

Frank

Just had my fixed tow bar fitted today at Towsure to my Passat. Cost £215 including twin electrics Al-Ko tow ball & bumper protector

I had a complete Witter Towbar plus dual electrics and stainless steel bumber plate fitted (not detatchable) by Towcraft Ltd to my Passat for £219. 73.

A detachable was a little more expensive I recall.

VW Dealer prices are at the top end of expensive and certainly put me off including the fitting of a Towbar at the time of car purchase(2003).

JONO

Guest john1215

I paid £400 for a brink detachable together with a conversion electric pack to convert the single socket to a double, the towbar was fitted at my home by PCT Automotive, Sheffield who manufacture towbars and associated products.

Dearer than a lot on here but none of the other manufacturers could offer anything for the 4motion less than that fitted at home.

john1215

VW Dealer prices are at the top end of expensive and certainly put me off including the fitting of a Towbar at the time of car purchase(2003).

JONO

4826[/snapback]

When we bought our Passat in 2003,the dealer was quite honest (yes I did say honest)and said they did not fit towing gear but would take it to the local experts and then charge me a premium. So obviously I went direct to the experts. I have had a detachable fitted to a Mercedes at the factory. It cost £595 but was a very classy piece of engineering. I have made my own brackets for a couple of cars but of course that is a non starter these days. :(

Frank

When we bought our Passat in 2003,the dealer was quite honest (yes I did say honest)and said they did not fit towing gear but would take it to the local experts and then charge me a premium. So obviously I went direct to the experts. I have had a detachable fitted to a Mercedes at the factory. It cost £595 but was a very classy piece of engineering. I have made my own brackets for a couple of cars but of course that is a non starter these days. :(

Frank

5319[/snapback]

Personally, I would never have a towbar fitted by a mobile fitter and would only use an NTTA firm. I think with the combined value of an average caravan and towcar, its well worth getting it done guarenteed properly with full comeback in the event of a problem.

I took my towbar and electrics (VW genuine part) off a scrapped Passat which had been front-ended; the rear end was in perfect condition. I paid (I think) about £20 for it, five years ago. It took me about 2 hours to fit.

The fitting instructions came from the Haynes manual; the only critical factor was tightening the retaining bolts to the correct torque, which was easy as I have a top quality torque wrench.

The wiring was merely awkward rather than complex.

I have towed for thousands of miles with this setup with no problems whatsoever.

Guest john1215
Just paid £229 for a Brink swan neck for my Mondeo with twin electrics

6003[/snapback]

That seems a good price, the difference in price between that and mine is due mostly to my passat having 4 wheel drive, the mechanical bit is over the rear axle which requires a modification and hence the higher price (so I'm told)

john1215

That seems a good price, the difference in price between that and mine is due mostly to my passat having 4 wheel drive, the mechanical bit is over the rear axle which requires a modification and hence the higher price (so I'm told)

john1215

6020[/snapback]

Hi John,

The manufacturers towbar mountings on the Passat 2WD are on the longerons each side of the spare wheel well, and no where near where the differential is located on the 4Motion. There obviously is some difference in the rear end structure,but I can't imagine what,as there is no change aft of the rear wheel arches as far as I know. :)

Frank

• 3 weeks later...

You're all having a laugh aren't you??

My VW Touareg towbar has just cost me. .....wait for it. ....£975 !!!

. ...and that was after serious haggling from £1350 with several VW dealers.

"Its all to do with the gold plated, di-lithium chrystal interbuzzicle opto-reflex box, Sir. ....and anyway, nobody else will fit one, and your warrenty will be void, and it takes our expert 8 hours to fit if you want a fridge relay 'cos VW forgot to fit a socket in the boot and we have to dismantle most of your car interior. ...blah blah blah"

I thing the truth was nearer "If you intend to tow a box with our beautiful footballers wife car, then you can damn well pay"

Towsure, twin electrics, ball, fitted by caravan shop to Passat saloon - £155 said it was biodegradable and that I was to avoid puddles – That’s good isn’t it!!!! :unsure:

Guest john1215
Hi John,

The manufacturers towbar mountings on the Passat 2WD are on the longerons each side of the spare wheel well, and no where near where the differential is located on the 4Motion. There obviously is some difference in the rear end structure,but I can't imagine what,as there is no  change aft of the rear wheel arches as far as I know. :)

Frank

6029[/snapback]

Hi Frank,

I'm not so technically minded so as to put uo a good discussion here but, for whatever reason, the exhaust on the 4motion splits and comes out at the rear in two separate pipes one on each side, I thought I'd seen that on the 2WD there are twin tailpipes together, maybe this has some bearing on it. Also I don't know if you are aware but the boot on the 4motion is 4" shallower than the standard boot.

john1215

JONO,

You picked one of the top NTTA towbar fitters with Towcraft in Rowley Regis. A really good family firm. I wish all firms were like that one as there are some real rogues out there fitting bars. I have seen some really bad examples by some mobile fitters in the East Midlands so check them out first. Word of mouth recommendations are probably the best.

You're all having a laugh aren't you??

My VW Touareg towbar has just cost me. .....wait for it. ....£975 !!!

. ...and that was after serious haggling from £1350 with several VW dealers.

"Its all to do with the gold plated, di-lithium chrystal interbuzzicle opto-reflex box, Sir. ....and anyway, nobody else will fit one, and your warrenty will be void, and it takes our expert 8 hours to fit if you want a fridge relay 'cos VW forgot to fit a socket in the boot and we have to dismantle most of your car interior. ...blah blah blah"

I thing the truth was nearer "If you intend to tow a box with our beautiful footballers wife car, then you can damn well pay"

10103[/snapback]

Sorry to be the bearer of this news but it might be useful to someone.

Towsure: Towbar for VW Toureg £99. 95 (Ball, electrics and fitting are extra but it still seems OK to me) PS Still waiting for the Skoda version of the Toureg - it could be very keenly priced. Mike

Sorry to be the bearer of this news but it might be useful to someone.

Towsure:  Towbar for VW Toureg £99. 95 (Ball, electrics and fitting are extra but it still seems OK to me) PS Still waiting for the Skoda version of the Toureg - it could be very keenly priced.   Mike

11725[/snapback]

Great in theory, but the Touareg often has parking sensors which rules out a fixed towbar leaving just the expensive detachable one.

The bulk of the cost was 8 hours labour to fit the damn thing and wire it up properly. ...

You poor bu88er . .. but serve you right for having a posh car . .... ;)

meld3, we're laughing with you, not at you . ........

To be honest that sounds like a stong incentive not to buy a Touareg.

10225[/snapback]

You clearly haven't test driven the Touareg / BMW X5 / Merc ML270 / Volvo XC90.

Try it one weekend - its fun and costs nothing to try - but you will also probably end up buying the VW too. ....

. ...and anyway, if I really rich/posh, I'd have the Porsche Cayenne & a Villa in the Med rather than a diesel VW with a caravan !!!