Laptop

baresi

Hi all,

I am fed up packing and unpacking the TV so I am thinking of using a laptop as a TV. It would also play CDs and DVDs as well as the radio. It could also be used to store digital photos. Has anyone out there used a laptop like this in the caravan and if so what are the advantages and disadvantages? Also is there anything I should know before I lash out £500 for said laptop?

Cheers

Baresi

I don't use my laptop for watching TV, buy I do use it for connecting to the Internet and dowloading mail. Suggest you have a laptop and also a TV. Saves arguments.

I don't use my laptop for watching TV, buy I do use it for connecting to the Internet and dowloading mail. Suggest you have a laptop and also a TV.   Saves arguments.

47914[/snapback]

I would agree. ....................

I would agree. ....................

47915[/snapback]

Same here,

thought what a good idea,, take laptop leave 14inch tv at home

bought a tv card plug in usb into Laptop

Dont bother what a waste of money took back got money back and bought a 15inch lcd screen

Perfeck picture and wife uses laptop

Agree, USB TV for PCs are rubbish, waste of time. paid £50 for mine, tried to use it twice and wouldn 't even work when attached to TV aerial at home with perfect picture on normal TV so no chance with Status aerial.

Mine's gatherine dust in a cupboard now, bought a 15" flat screen from Argos about £200 but proabably cheaper now.

I have a USB freeview stick I use with excellent results with a portable aerial I use my laptop for TV,have loaded all my music on it and also use autoroute with a GPS locator for navigation all on the one machine,it works for me!

Voiture.

I have a USB freeview stick I use with excellent results with a portable aerial I use my laptop for TV,have loaded all my music on it and also use autoroute with a GPS locator for navigation all on the one machine,it works for me!

Voiture.

Voiture - very interesting - what make and model USB Freeview device did you buy? Any tips on where to buy it for a good price?

Thanks

Sarah

I bought mine from ebuyer but Amazon are selling them and with free delivery theres not much difference. It is a Freecom Digital USB T.

I tried an Avermedia card and it was rubbish in comparison,you do however need a portable aerial to get the best results as the stick they provide is not much use unless you are in a strong signal area.

Voiture.

I agre with VOITURE. I have a FREECOM BVB-T USB STICK bought from ebuyer (www. ebuyer. com) for £47. 00.

Works perfectly at home and has worked with caravan aerial in some areas, but not always. When it doesn't work we use the DVD.

Interesting that you can also re-tune in foreign countries, but tried France just over a week ago but could not get a reception, probably because we were inside a hotel in a wooded area. Will try France again next year on holiday.

Interesting that with this system you can also record direct to your hard drive on the computer. Usefull if you have a writeable DVD !!!!!!!!

Have also loaded the sytem onto my home computer and it works excellant

£42

HERE

would be interested to know what file format bit rate etc it saves in though, is it full DVD quality ?

ie  25 FPS and  720 x 576 frame size PAL  MPEG etc etc

47989[/snapback]

Not sure on DVD format.

still cheaper at ebuyer when you add postage

Archived