Sign in to follow this  
nan p

Caravan Finance Help, Please

can anyone help please, we had static caravan for few years, part exchanged for newer one, 6 months later financial situation changed unable to afford payments, gave keys back and informed finance company, they came back saying we still owed 13000 pounds, been paying small amounts for 2 years, they have changed to collectors, threatening ccj, husband not working due to ill health, i am disabled and at my wits end, just had to give them a 1000 pounds borrowed from family can anybody give any advice please?

The debt collectors will aways threaten CCJ's etc, it is designed to scare you - and it has.

Please go and see your local Citizens Advice or seek legal help, dependent on the type of finance agreement you have on the caravan will determine what rights (if any) you have, and you will get advice on your options.

Edited to add - But please keep in mind that when you signed your finance agreement you entered into a legally binding contract which you cannot just walk away from, but if you have genuine financal hardship then there is a prescribed process for repaying your debt.

The debt collectors take advantage of the fact most people do not know their legal rights, the more you know and understand what your rights and options are, the better equiped you will be to deal with this.

Edited by Grandpa Steve
Addtional comment
  • Like 1

can anyone help please, we had static caravan for few years, part exchanged for newer one, 6 months later financial situation changed unable to afford payments, gave keys back and informed finance company, they came back saying we still owed 13000 pounds, been paying small amounts for 2 years, they have changed to collectors, threatening ccj, husband not working due to ill health, i am disabled and at my wits end, just had to give them a 1000 pounds borrowed from family can anybody give any advice please?

Hi nan p. I am sorry to here of your plight but I think you will find that you are not on your own !!?.

In my honest opinion you need a VERY URGENT appointment & some VERY VERY ASAP help from your nearest Citizens Advice Bureau.

They will almost certainly advise you to pay out no more monies and they will take on your case and communicate with all parties concerned in the pressurising of you in this matter.

If your local Citizens Advice Bureau has suffered at the hands of funding cuts by your local authority there are others that can/will help in a very similar capacity/style. DO NOT go to any that offer their services for a fee.

Hi again GPS beat me to it.

Edited by TheTravellingRooster
  • Like 1

Don't give them any money. Go to your local CAB, or phone them if you can't get out. Don't panic and don't let them bully you. Good luck.

thank you for replying, i will go to cab. thank you,they say a trouble shared is a trouble halved :0)

Hi nan p. I am sorry to here of your plight but I think you will find that you are not on your own !!?.

In my honest opinion you need a VERY URGENT appointment & some VERY VERY ASAP help from your nearest Citizens Advice Bureau.

They will almost certainly advise you to pay out no more monies and they will take on your case and communicate with all parties concerned in the pressurising of you in this matter.

If your local Citizens Advice Bureau has suffered at the hands of funding cuts by your local authority there are others that can/will help in a very similar capacity/style. DO NOT go to any that offer their services for a fee.

thanks so much i will do. nan

Don't give them any money. Go to your local CAB, or phone them if you can't get out. Don't panic and don't let them bully you. Good luck.

thank you so much

thanks, nan

thanks for advice, much appreciated

The debt collectors will aways threaten CCJ's etc, it is designed to scare you - and it has.

Please go and see your local Citizens Advice or seek legal help, dependent on the type of finance agreement you have on the caravan will determine what rights (if any) you have, and you will get advice on your options.

thank youso much, nan

thanks to all for good advice, very much appreciated, i am new to this hope i am posting ok, glad i have found this site, very best wishes, nan:0)

Hi Nan,

contact www. capuk. org they have helped lots of people in your situation and it is a charity that i have contributed for some time they may be able to help.

hope this helps.

thank you for that link, fingers crossed x

Please go to http://www. consumeractiongroup. co. uk/forum/index. php where you will get some really helpful and useful advice. Do not let debt collectors threaten you or disrupt your lives. They have no powers whatsoever and cannot arrest you, take away your possessions etc. In addition, as you would be regarded as a vulnerable family, you have a lot of protection even from bailiff.

Please go to http://www. consumera. ..forum/index. php where you will get some really helpful and useful advice. Do not let debt collectors threaten you or disrupt your lives. They have no powers whatsoever and cannot arrest you, take away your possessions etc. In addition, as you would be regarded as a vulnerable family, you have a lot of protection even from bailiff.

thanks 5star have already replied to you but cant see the post, lol anyway thanks for the lead, nan( ps am new on here still getting the hang of this)

Hi Nan,

contact www. capuk. org they have helped lots of people in your situation and it is a charity that i have contributed for some time they may be able to help.

hope this helps.

sorry i called you 5star, lol i will ger this right one day

Morning, I'm having the same problem, can you let me know what your outcome was by doing this please 🤔

This thread is 7 years old so it may be unlikely you get a reply.