Sign in to follow this  
ElddisGroupMarketing

Elddis Launches Revolutionary New Construction System

This is the way I see it,

Elddis are using new proven bonding technique's and materials on already proven designed caravans. Also a GRP under skin to the floor and no holes in the corners sounds good to me. They also look pleasing to the eye “classy”

Hopefully this design has been fully tested and with an open weekend at their factory, nothing is hidden and fully transparent. This to me shows they have confidence in their products and perhaps Elddis have learnt by other manufactures mistakes, that if you don't deliver what you claimed, customers soon loose loyalty.

G40

Edited by Gaz40

Bailey Alu tech still needs clamps and bolts to hold it together ?

Dave

Only whilst the bonding agent sets surely. Requirement to have anything done to them at all was dropped months ago.

Nice to see another manufacturer facing up to the realities of the end of sticks and screw construction.

Only whilst the bonding agent sets surely. Requirement to have anything done to them at all was dropped months ago.

No

The bolts and clamps are part of the securing method with Alu-Tech, the bonding agents Elddis are using are stand alone in their use.

Edited by Gaz40

Whilst I agree this is a major step forward in caravan construction a few questions remain unanswered.

Has the new bonding technique been proven by towing a new 'van, constructed with the new bonding agent over a period of at least 6 months on a mix of roads to determine what,if any,movement takes place between the various panels and has the caravan then been subjected to further water ingress and structural integrity tests? Although you state ' SoLiD Construction has been through 3 years of development and intensive product testing' what constitutes intensive ?

Does the new construction method increase productivity per employee? If so then Elddis have no reasons to increase prices over and above inflation.

You cannot compare caravans to F1 cars and aeroplanes even if the construction methods are similar. Yes I will agree they both use adhesives to hold components and structures together but they also use totally different materials to caravans, unless Elddis are going to produce Carbon Fibre and Aluminium-Magnesium alloys to build a new range of high speed,more expensive caravans!

I wish you well with this new construction method but I will reserve final judgement until 2014.

Regards.

Col

No

The bolts and clamps are part of the securing method with Alu-Tech, the bonding agents Elddis are using are stand alone in their use.

So belt and braces then.

So belt and braces then.

Always found braces uncomfortable but a good belt should suffice ;)

Does the new construction method increase productivity per employee? If so then Elddis have no reasons to increase prices over and above inflation.

You cannot compare caravans to F1 cars and aeroplanes even if the construction methods are similar. Yes I will agree they both use adhesives to hold components and structures together but they also use totally different materials to caravans, unless Elddis are going to produce Carbon Fibre and Aluminium-Magnesium alloys to build a new range of high speed,more expensive caravans!

I wish you well with this new construction method but I will reserve final judgement until 2014.

Regards.

Col

F1 technologies filters down into the cars we drive today and aerospace science is also used in other developments. These new bonding compounds are engineered to bond various types of materials including many metals types and plastics. It also allows stresses to be evenly distributed along its join, therefore massively increasing its strength.

This system must improve productivity that's probably one of the reasons the Motor Industry is using it, but it seems to me that any cost increases are mainly due to the price of raw materials and energy these days.

G40

R&D is expensive just to add some objectivity.

My turn to be with you Urban! - Any manufacturer prepared to engage with its customers encourages confidence.

I must say I am a little suprised that some people on here (albeit a minority) are choosing to look for negatives or potential problems rather than embracing a manufacturer who is prepared to seek out and develop a new way of producing caravans. I understand that many of you have been burned in the past but I for one think Elddis should be applauded for this development.

Time will tell whether it works in caravans but this technology is proven in other industries whose products are put through much more stressful and extreme conditions than we could ever put on a caravan so I for one am confident enough to put my faith in it. At the end of the day the old techiques have been proven to be flawed!

Very beautifully put, saves me making an attempt myself.

R&D is expensive just to add some objectivity.

Not so expensive when spread over three years-as claimed.

Regards.

Col

Applause to Elddis for innovation.

The new SoLiD construction has been extensively tested using test tracks in the UK and Europe.

This testing has included both Hot and Cold chamber tests, Water ingress tests and UV high intensive testing to ensure that under all normal conditions the bond is not affected. The vehicles were tested for damp at the start of the endurance testing during the testing and at the end of the testing to ensure no water ingress was present.

The vehicles both Caravans and Motorhomes has been driven / towed around the test tracks over cobble stones, pave road, speed bumps. pot holes and kerb strikes to equate to at least 27000 miles of use.

The test cycles were developed by the test track engineers not by Elddis the same Engineers who have undertaken testing for all the other Major Caravan Manufacturers.

All testing was done with the vehicles laden to their MTPLM and in one case up to 20% over the MTPLM.

I know this because I was present at all this testing and I believe no other new caravan has been tested to the extent of a SoLiD construction caravan.

Regards

David

I've driven many miles over the surfaces mentioned above in both passenger cars and vans and there aren't many vehicles that don't have something come loose, drop off or stop working. It shakes you to pieces and I could never imagine a caravan being tested over that lot - superb !! Would love to have witnessed that testing, especially the curb strikes - make you cringe.

WOW that looks a excellent idea. Bonding agent holds skyscapers up. They are usually stronger than the material they are bonding .

Dave

We recently purchased 3 new airport major foam tenders from Rosenbauer and one of the many reasons we decided on this vehicle was due to the build quality which included basically three modular systems on the chassis that was bonded together giving less rigidity and obviously more flexibility especially over cross country and reducing the risk of cracked water and foam tanks. Basically the vehicle is almost glued together. I would also like to see more composite materials being used in caravan construction. Which are very strong,light,can be moulded and now very cheap. The Caravan Industry as far as I'm concerned are still very much in the dark ages.

GAS. .................. :angry:

Runner,

Please curb your enthusiasm for their kerb strikes ;)

The new SoLiD construction has been extensively tested using test tracks in the UK and Europe.

This testing has included both Hot and Cold chamber tests, Water ingress tests and UV high intensive testing to ensure that under all normal conditions the bond is not affected. The vehicles were tested for damp at the start of the endurance testing during the testing and at the end of the testing to ensure no water ingress was present.

The vehicles both Caravans and Motorhomes has been driven / towed around the test tracks over cobble stones, pave road, speed bumps. pot holes and kerb strikes to equate to at least 27000 miles of use.

The test cycles were developed by the test track engineers not by Elddis the same Engineers who have undertaken testing for all the other Major Caravan Manufacturers.

All testing was done with the vehicles laden to there MTPLM and in one case up to 20% over the MTPLM.

I now this because I was present at all this testing and I believe no other new caravan has been tested to the extent of a SoLiD construction caravan.

Regards

David

Only 20% over the MTPLM you obviously have not seen what some people put in their caravans :D

Runner,

Please curb your enthusiasm for their kerb strikes ;)

Lol you been at the marmalade again SDA ?!!!....

Edited by Madrunner

Our first caravan was an Elddis and we never looked at Elddis again because every year we found the layouts totally unsuitable for us as a couple who prefer an L shape and an island bed. This combination seems to have disappeared off the market with all brands which is strange.

Try buying a caravan with this combination and there are none available and when they do come on the market, they are snapped up. When we advertised our Lunar Lexon 640 with this layout, it sold to the second viewer with 4 days of the advert appearing.

We bought a Bailey mainly for the Alu-Tech construction.

If/when the time comes to replace it then Elddis will definitely be worth a look.

Sounds promising.

Ian

I suspect from my involvement in the specifying of bonding assemblies for major structures that the bolts serve to close the joint and if removed a few days later would never be missed?

Back to the video, it is hoped that they use robots to lay down the bonding agent for the more critical joints, than a man with a hand applicator; or potential weakness number one in the system is evident.

If they dont need the clamps why is it at the 3yr service the clamps have to be checked ?

http://www. bailey-ca. .. (Jan 2011).pdf pg 16

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Guest jks

If they dont need the clamps why is it at the 3yr service the clamps have to be checked ?

http://www. bailey-ca. .. (Jan 2011).pdf pg 16

Dave

They aren't checked anymore. It was a belt and bracers job by Bailey but they found there was no need to check them as they don't come loose.

Well, having had 3 leak free Bailey's over the last 10 years, I was looking forward to Alutech BUT, Bailey no longer do layouts which suit me, and until the Uni 2 came out, I though they looked very clumsy at the rear.

I have always thought Elddis's were the better looking vans, and now they have something which combines traditional materials, plus the hi tech adhesives, I will be lloking in earnest. Now, if only my dealer who is brilliant stocked them, only Swift, Bailey and Venus :( .

Anyway, good luck Elddis and you have a possible conquest

All testing was done with the vehicles laden to their MTPLM and in one case up to 20% over the MTPLM.

I know this because I was present at all this testing and I believe no other new caravan has been tested to the extent of a SoLiD construction caravan.

Regards

David

Regards

David

Thanks for your reply David.

Any chance of seeing a video of the testing? Were the tests undertaken using the same tow vehicle or did you test the 'van with different cars?

Regards.

Col

Col

3 different tow vehicles were used but we were not allowed to video on most of the test tracks and only at Milbrook if they do the video. There are some stills on the SoLiD Videos we will be posting on You tube in the next few days.

David