Sign in to follow this  
Jcf1966

New Dash Cam

Harry, is it possible to have a 'live' picture from the rear camera on the screen? Could it be used as a rear view/reversing camera whilst still recording?

Thanks.

Harry, is it possible to have a 'live' picture from the rear camera on the screen? Could it be used as a rear view/reversing camera whilst still recording?

Thanks.

There is a button to allow you to select the display of front only, rear only or front with rear PIP, all whilst still recording - problem is the display is only 2" diagonal - so not really much use. My satnav/radio/TV puts up a 7" picture from my reversing cam, that cam is looking at my bumper/towball, so it is much more useful.

Edited by harry.m1byt

There is a button to allow you to select the display of front only, rear only or front with rear PIP, all whilst still recording - problem is the display is only 2" diagonal - so not really much use. My satnav/radio/TV puts up a 7" picture from my reversing cam, that cam is looking at my bumper/towball, so it is much more useful.

I was considering extending the cable on rear cam for use in caravan rear window. It sounds like it would be sufficient to cover blind spot. I used to be able to see straight through the front and rear windows of my old van. Although the view was limited it was better than nothing. I can't see anything through my current van.

I know you can buy dedicated rear view cams/monitors, but I just wondered if the one you had could be multi-functional. - I'm trying to justify it to myself. ... although that's not difficult with all the nutters on the roads! :mellow:

Edited by gosportvti

That was an answer & a half, Harry.

Looks a good twin cam. Especially for the £40 price. I've heard of motor homes using the twin cams both for rear view, one set high & looking down for reversing while the other is for 1 m high horizontal general rear view to see bits the mirrors miss.

The image doesn't look like the one in the video which seemed as if it was around 15 cm wide by 4 cm high, with an excellent rear view.

perhaps I need to look again at your video.

David

I would not recommend the display for reversing, it is far too small at 2". I would suggest it needs to be at least 4".

As said, the PIP video had the rear image shrunk so as not to interfere with the main image from the front cam. The later two videos are the image quality you actually get.

I was considering extending the cable on rear cam for use in caravan rear window. It sounds like it would be sufficient to cover blind spot. I used to be able to see straight through the front and rear windows of my old van. Although the view was limited it was better than nothing. I can't see anything through my current van.

I know you can buy dedicated rear view cams/monitors, but I just wondered if the one you had could be multi-functional. - I'm trying to justify it to myself. ... although that's not difficult with all the nutters on the roads! :mellow:

Whilst it is not good enough to use for a reversing camera, it might work as a rear view - assuming your eyes are good, that you don't need distance/reading glasses. The rear lower res camera is also much better than the front in low light levels - the rear camera can see much more than I can see with naked eyes.

Whilst it is not good enough to use for a reversing camera, it might work as a rear view - assuming your eyes are good, that you don't need distance/reading glasses. The rear lower res camera is also much better than the front in low light levels - the rear camera can see much more than I can see with naked eyes.

Thanks Harry. Was the ebay link you provided the same seller that you used? Did it take long to arrive, since the seller is in China? Or was it shipped from the UK?

Time to invest, me thinks. :)

That is the seller I bought it from. It was shipped from China ordered 19:00 18th July, delivered 30th July at 10am.

I didn't ask them to, but they had marked the declaration as a 'gift', so there was nothing to pay on delivery.

Having watched your video, I suppose my definition of road rage is a bit different to yours. Then again, when I lived north I found drivers a lot more patient and sedate surprisingly.

Down here road rage consists of cutting you up and slamming on the brakes and racing up behind you, following, flashing and horning. This is what happened to me and I got forced into the back of a maniac who cut over and slammed the breaks 2 inches from my front bumper on a roundabout. That was for not letting him cut me up as he was doing to the rest of the traffic further back.

I could see the look of rage as he got out of his car, he was clearly seizing me up for a brawl. But realising I, the other driver, was an 110kg rugby player and half his age that went right out the window like his no claims bonus.

All the worst driving (and driver as above I might add) appear to originate from Essex. Nearly had my left wing cut up on an empty m25 by a non signaling vehicle whilst doing 70+mph on the eastbound approach to the A11. Maybe idioacy rather than road rage but that was truly terrifying having to slam the breaks on at those sorts of speeds.

Edited by mrbigglebongs

Having watched your video, I suppose my definition of road rage is a bit different to yours. Then again, when I lived north I found drivers a lot more patient and sedate surprisingly.

He had obviously lost control of himself to the point of deciding it was a safe thing to do to overtake both a car and an artic after the roundabout at around twice the speed limit. You can see from the video why it is so unsafe to try to overtake blind at that point. He was extremely lucky to get away with it, with causing an accident.

Until last year, the approach lanes to that roundabout were unmarked and only rarely was L2 occupied by someone turning right. . Many of those in the left lane would be turning left, or be slow pulling away if going straight on. Back then I too would take L2 to go straight on, gambling on a left turner or someone being slow off the mark. My plan B which I might need to use maybe 1 in 10 times, was to go right round the roundabout.

Now it is clearly marked, I stay in L1 on the approach, or if the queue is long in L1, I deliberately use L2 and deliberately go right around the roundabout, but do so fairly slowly to give those queuing there a chance to get out.

He had obviously lost control of himself to the point of deciding it was a safe thing to do to overtake both a car and an artic after the roundabout at around twice the speed limit. You can see from the video why it is so unsafe to try to overtake blind at that point. He was extremely lucky to get away with it, with causing an accident.

Until last year, the approach lanes to that roundabout were unmarked and only rarely was L2 occupied by someone turning right. . Many of those in the left lane would be turning left, or be slow pulling away if going straight on. Back then I too would take L2 to go straight on, gambling on a left turner or someone being slow off the mark. My plan B which I might need to use maybe 1 in 10 times, was to go right round the roundabout.

Now it is clearly marked, I stay in L1 on the approach, or if the queue is long in L1, I deliberately use L2 and deliberately go right around the roundabout, but do so fairly slowly to give those queuing there a chance to get out.

I follow the road markings unlike many around here.

poolebob

I follow the road markings unlike many around here.

poolebob

Road markings can get covered by vehicles.

Strangers to the area can then appear to be selfishly ignoring them, whereas in fact they are just strangers.

Not knowing that they are strangers doesn't help the blood pressure of regulars.

David

Road markings can get covered by vehicles.

Strangers to the area can then appear to be selfishly ignoring them, whereas in fact they are just strangers.

Not knowing that they are strangers doesn't help the blood pressure of regulars.

David

I don't think so. ..

A stranger to the area would be taking extra care on the approach, a stranger would not have been so stupid as to risk overtaking at such speed, nor where he did. He also completely ignored the speed limit posted on the approach to the roundabout. The arrows on the road were perfectly clear, still quite fresh, he was the only vehicle in L2 and had a clear view of the markings. Are you saying instead he was driving without DCA?

How do you explain his attempts to bully the white car out of his way, in my rear view mirror?

How do you explain his attempts to bully the second white car out of the way, the one ahead of the red artic?

Stranger deserving of sympathy, sorry no. He was driving like a first rate prat with no thought for anyone, but himself! He overtook at around twice the limit, with numerous entry and exit roads on both sides, a garage, people working at the roadside and the strong likelihood of there being kids about.

Edited by harry.m1byt

I don't think so. ..

A stranger to the area would be taking extra care on the approach, a stranger would not have been so stupid as to risk overtaking at such speed, nor where he did. He also completely ignored the speed limit posted on the approach to the roundabout. The arrows on the road were perfectly clear, still quite fresh, he was the only vehicle in L2 and had a clear view of the markings. Are you saying instead he was driving without DCA?

How do you explain his attempts to bully the white car out of his way, in my rear view mirror?

How do you explain his attempts to bully the second white car out of the way, the one ahead of the red artic?

Stranger deserving of sympathy, sorry no. He was driving like a first rate prat with no thought for anyone, but himself! He overtook at around twice the limit, with numerous entry and exit roads on both sides, a garage, people working at the roadside and the strong likelihood of there being kids about.

Harry,

My post was part generic & partly a follow on from Poolebob, not a response to your post.

I am not a fan of road markings, overhead boards, do a better job allowing a deliberate choice of lanes.

David

Harry,

My post was part generic & partly a follow on from Poolebob, not a response to your post.

I am not a fan of road markings, overhead boards, do a better job allowing a deliberate choice of lanes.

David

Oh, OK :)

Ok well I has had a very interesting few days.

We went to get some funiture and when I was joining the motorway and I did my shoulder check there was a HGV swaying

This made me turn and look harder, if that makes sense and he was on the phone.

He shaw me looking and put the phone down and then when I was on the motorway he went back to talking.

My speed on dash cam and trackers was 49mph and this fella was dropping back, I think his speed must of been between 30 and 40

We were leaving the motorway and he was following me but at the last minute turned into lane 2 to carry on the same motorway.

As we left we shaw a Police car so continued round and stopped o tell him.

I informed him I had a dash cam and though it did not film him on the phone it does have my reaction.

I gave him my IAM card and he set off after the driver.

I had a phone call this morning asking if I could email the video so they could also review it.

This is the result.

The police car drove at the side of the HGV and he was still on the phone, he past and he was still on the phone for quite ome time.

The driver noticed the police car and dumped his phone on the floor. On with the blues and the drive was put in the back of the car and guess what he said he was not on the phone, even after looking at the phone and it was in use for over 55 minutes he still said he was not using it.

The outcome was he was arrested for dangerouse driving this has been confirmed by the cameras on the motorway and the police cars cameras, they have asked for my video and my tracker evidence and would I be happy to go to court.

£2500 fine and a ban is looking to be hitting his phone bill this month.

You can give your videos to the local police officer, or you can post it to mi witness, I have never used them so don't know any more.

Road safe is also a site you can send videos too and they will deal with it but again all I have ever done is give it to the police direct.

Hope this helps

James

James,

it is illegal, but is it actually dangerous?

http://www. thinkdigit. com/Car-Tech/New-study-suggests-talking-on-the-phone_17154. html

There are several reports that a new study suggest that talking on a phone whilst driving does NOT cause extra accidents.

This seems to fly in the face of observed behaviour of people walking while on their mobile.

I'm waiting for the first reports of 2 such clowns bumping into each other, however I have grown tired of dodging them & now stand my ground & bellow at them. I did think of calling them "stupid boy" like Captain Mannering to Private Pike, until I realised how big some of them are, & that's just the girlies!

Whilst that driving habit may be arguable, other forms of misbehaviour are not.

Are we at the start of citizen policing, using dash cam evidence?

Will we see less speeding when many have lost their licences & jobs & will the rest then suddenly get wise?

Dash cams are not just to protect your no claims bonus.

David

Edited by Swizz

As one who until recently spent a considerable amount of my day driving and with essential heavy phone use whilst driving, my observations of others suggests it is extremely dangerous. The main problem as I see it is handheld use, the next most common problem is inexperienced drivers using phones on the move at all.

My own rules were that I would only use a phone hands free, that I would only use one when conditions allowed and if the conversation was at all other than straight forward, I would cut the call off. I felt that my experience of a lifetimes safe driving, meant my autopilot worked pretty well and that providing the conversation was no different to one I might have with someone in the car - I was safe.

I often see HGV drivers trying to steer round roundabouts and junctions with the phone held to their ear - I see that as being extremely dangerous.

I emailed a link to the video and the registration details of the car to our local PCSO, here is his reply. .

'I do recognise this vehicle but unfortunately at this moment in time the vehicle has not keeper details recorded so I have no lines of enquiry to trace to owner/driver although I will keep a look out for it.'

I checked its details on line and found it was taxed and askMID showed it as insured. So what the PCSO seems to be suggesting, is that the vehicle is one he knows as a locally owned one, but that the vehicle's ownership details were never transferred over to its present owner.

From what I can make out, failure to transfer ownership seems to be an easy way to avoid the need to to tax, insure, MOT and a way to be able to ignore any traffic violations. The only way such drivers can be put a stop to, is if they come to the attention of the police and are actually pulled over by the police whilst on the road.

It seems very wrong to my mind, that there should be such a large loophole with nothing done about it.

By way of a bit of research, I have been feeding in the details of a few vehicle registrations collected randomly into the DVLA and askMID. I am surprised by the sheer number I have found being used on the public road lacking tax, insurance or even both. far too many to explain away with database errors and far more than UK. gov's own figures of 10% would seem to suggest.

I emailed a link to the video and the registration details of the car to our local PCSO, here is his reply. .

'I do recognise this vehicle but unfortunately at this moment in time the vehicle has not keeper details recorded so I have no lines of enquiry to trace to owner/driver although I will keep a look out for it.'

I checked its details on line and found it was taxed and askMID showed it as insured. So what the PCSO seems to be suggesting, is that the vehicle is one he knows as a locally owned one, but that the vehicle's ownership details were never transferred over to its present owner.

From what I can make out, failure to transfer ownership seems to be an easy way to avoid the need to to tax, insure, MOT and a way to be able to ignore any traffic violations. The only way such drivers can be put a stop to, is if they come to the attention of the police and are actually pulled over by the police whilst on the road.

It seems very wrong to my mind, that there should be such a large loophole with nothing done about it.

By way of a bit of research, I have been feeding in the details of a few vehicle registrations collected randomly into the DVLA and askMID. I am surprised by the sheer number I have found being used on the public road lacking tax, insurance or even both. far too many to explain away with database errors and far more than UK. gov's own figures of 10% would seem to suggest.

Some softies might think this a bit extreme but there would be less scallywags driving around uninsured if a one caught doing so was taken to a crusher where they could watch their vehicle being crushed from its inside.

OK that's a tad extreme, & probably doesn't comply with EU safety regulations.

So what should really be done?

Registration of all sales to be done at nearest Police station, job for PCSOs

Owner to produce current insurance, MOT & discharge all outstanding parking & motoring fines, new owner to produce proof of address & present the new insurance certificate & pay all outstanding fines already owed. Both present

Caught driving without insurance or MOT or correct registration should result in going directly to jail, no money wasting trial.

Car to crusher or auction (new locks to prevent repossession by thuggery).

Forget VED annual discs they waste money & admin effort, police time.

Register once.

I could go on

David

Some softies might think this a bit extreme but there would be less scallywags driving around uninsured if a one caught doing so was taken to a crusher where they could watch their vehicle being crushed from its inside.

OK that's a tad extreme, & probably doesn't comply with EU safety regulations.

So what should really be done?

Registration of all sales to be done at nearest Police station, job for PCSOs

Owner to produce current insurance, MOT & discharge all outstanding parking & motoring fines, new owner to produce proof of address & present the new insurance certificate & pay all outstanding fines already owed. Both present

Caught driving without insurance or MOT or correct registration should result in going directly to jail, no money wasting trial.

Car to crusher or auction (new locks to prevent repossession by thuggery).

Forget VED annual discs they waste money & admin effort, police time.

Register once.

I could go on

David

I do think the gov ought to be pressed for action on this whole problem.

The VED's have not really served any valid purpose for several years now. I rode a motorbike until recently and the VED was so awkward to change each year, I gave up bothering to install the new disk - I just kept it in my pocket. .

I do think the gov ought to be pressed for action on this whole problem.

The VED's have not really served any valid purpose for several years now. I rode a motorbike until recently and the VED was so awkward to change each year, I gave up bothering to install the new disk - I just kept it in my pocket. .

Better your pocket than someone else's

The French display a registration paper in the windscreen. There is no annual taxation, too admin heavy

The full doc has to be carried in a dossier. You need to present it to an inquisitive Gendarme & before a service or even a new tyre or battery. or other significant spare.

You will also need to present your ID card for cross checking.

Makes thieving suitably more challenging.

Makes driving difficult too, 4 years ago the tariff was 90 Euros per missing doc, in cash, receipts sometimes available.

Docs were MOT, Registration, insurance(also in windscreen), ID, written permission from owner if it wasn't you.

David

Edited by Swizz

I got something's wrong in previous post.

In their windows they show an abbreviated MOT & insurance, but not a registration, except number plates.

It costs to register new & changes, I think.

annual equivalent of our VED doesn't exist.

I wonder what fraction of ours is lost to admin?

David

Better your pocket than someone else's

David

They are so easy to steal and suffer water damage, so not many riders display them - some display a photocopy of the original. I mounted the holder in a very awkward place, which needed tools to access it - it was so awkward, I gave up and simply put it in my bike jacket.

Sadly its also illegal to "fail to display" the VED disc, but must admit that putting it in your pocket means that its less likely to get stolen !!

Sadly its also illegal to "fail to display" the VED disc, but must admit that putting it in your pocket means that its less likely to get stolen !!

VEDs on bikes are to easily stolen, no laminated window to break!

Better, I think, to have it to pull out of your pocket, than to argue " doh it must have been nicked ! "

Maybe displaying it ought NOT to be mandatory.

Better still scrap the VED for all vehicles.

I bet the admin costs a big chunk of the duty.

David

Edited by Swizz

Guest Beagler

Its time VED was on the price of fuel so those who use the roads the most pay the most.