Sign in to follow this  
Jcf1966

New Dash Cam

Evidence can be presented to Police, CPS or Court in whatever format and device that will allow its viewing, so it could be a voice recorder or laptop or dvd player whatever.

Thanks Beagler,

That obviously includes the original SDcard from a dash cam.

Suppose an accident included a Police vehicle, even unmarked, & a PC notices your dashcam. Could or would he "request" your SD card as important evidence. I seem to have learnt somewhere that this is normal police procedure.

Handing over the SDcard would disable the dashcam & you lose control of evidence that might exonerate you.

Worse still, other parts of the SD could actually incriminate you on unrelated matters!

Has anyone had experience or knowledge of such situations.

I am aware that just because I am paranoid doesn't mean that people are not aiming to get me ! 😱

David

Edited by Swizz

Guest Beagler

Thanks Beagler,

That obviously includes the original SDcard from a dash cam.

Suppose an accident included a Police vehicle, even unmarked, & a PC notices your dashcam. Could or would he "request" your SD card as important evidence. I seem to have learnt somewhere that this is normal police procedure.

Handing over the SDcard would disable the dashcam & you lose control of evidence that might exonerate you.

Worse still, other parts of the SD could actually incriminate you on unrelated matters!

Has anyone had experience or knowledge of such situations.

I am aware that just because I am paranoid doesn't mean that people are not aiming to get me !

David

As files from the SD card are in MP4 format you can backup the SD card on your computer first and you can always put another SD card in to continue recording.

As files from the SD card are in MP4 format you can backup the SD card on your computer first and you can always put another SD card in to continue recording.

Thanks for your quick response, Beagler

I rarely carry my computer in my car.

A replacement SD card of the required quality costs £25. Maybe I ought to buy.

Your answer doesn't cover anything after the "&" in the middle of my post.

Perhaps someone else might enlighten us?

It looks like an unlikely but if it happened, very fraught situation.

David

Guest Beagler

If the Police would like a copy of your SD card you can request a copy of the original also request the original back after. You could ask if you can submit it after taking a copy yourself. I personally would not have a problem giving them the original. On the issue of incrimination, this is the negative side of a dashcam but for me the pluses far outweigh the minus. I think if you are a careful, responsible driver you should have nothing to fear and enjoy the benefits and if not you may have to suffer the consequences.

Edited by Beagler

Guest Beagler

Its actually a weird feeling driving knowing everything is being recorded. I am more alert and more cautious and thats not a bad thing. Its a bit like driving on your test with the examiner next to you. I suppose like other things I will just get used to it.

Its actually a weird feeling driving knowing everything is being recorded. I am more alert and more cautious and thats not a bad thing. Its a bit like driving on your test with the examiner next to you. I suppose like other things I will just get used to it.

I felt the same way !

The way I view it is that it makes you drive more carefully.

Having said that I normally set cruise control AT the speed limit, so it takes away the chance of overdoing speed.

When I examined some of my early files I saw mainly 29 to 31 but occasional 28 to 33 mph speeds which would possibly interest a PC. This is why I asked about having to hand over the whole SD card.

Imagine a P car on a chase & it overtakes you at 50 in a 30 zone. You are doing 30 on a steady course having moved to within a foot of a string of parked cars to ease the P car's passage. While overtaking you he hits a pothole & lurches at you, hits your front end which causes you to write off 2 parked cars, & your own.

The carcam video is likely to exonerate you.

Would you want a mate of the crash PC access to the rest of the video clips in which you reached 33 in a 30 zone?

David

Edited by Swizz

Hi James,

In what form would you present the evidence video file to the police ?

These files are a bit too large to email.

Have you thought about how you later PROVE that you told the police or a commissioner ?

You certainly have a good point, but the nub is making it stick.

I expect you could burn it onto a CD.

What I would not want would be to hand over the whole SD card, apart from costing £20 the could be evidence of me speeding.

I usually set my speed limit onto the cruise control but after reviewing my early videos I see speed fluctuating from say 30 set to cover the range 28 to 33

My thinking is that there is as much chance of the cam witnessing an accident in front of you than an accident of your own.

David

There is a mi witness site were you can post it.

You can also contact road safe and they will post it

Or you can contact your local bobby ans ask him to deal with it.

I know a lot have done this on you tube and they get a results

James

Just a note.

On the blackvue, I can not comment about the others

You put the software on the card and the card goes in the camera.

So what I have done is to have two cards so if I need o save the card I just switch them over, really simple

One in the glove box and one in the camera.

James

Guest Beagler

I felt the same way !

Having said that I normally set cruise control AT the speed limit, so it takes away the chance of overdoing speed.

When I examined some of my early files I saw mainly 29 to 31 but occasional 28 to 33 mph speeds which would possibly interest a PC. This is why I asked about having to hand over the whole SD card.

Imagine a P car on a chase & it overtakes you at 50 in a 30 zone. You are doing 30 on a steady course having moved to within a foot of a string of parked cars to ease the P car's passage. While overtaking you he hits a pothole & lurches at you, hits your front end which causes you to write off 2 parked cars, & your own.

Would you want a mate of the crash PC access to the rest of the video clips in which you reached 33 in a 30 zone?

David

I felt the same way !

David

Because of ACPO guidelines you would be very unlikely to be prosecuted for doing 33mph.

There is a mi witness site were you can post it.

You can also contact road safe and they will post it

Or you can contact your local bobby ans ask him to deal with it.

I know a lot have done this on you tube and they get a results

James

I'll maybe do that if someone really insenses me.

Just a note.

On the blackvue, I can not comment about the others

You put the software on the card and the card goes in the camera.

I wondered about that, my card was already in the camera & ready to go straight from the box. So I wasnt sure, but that means I must hang onto it as camera useless without it unless I copy to a blank SD card.

So what I have done is to have two cards so if I need o save the card I just switch them over, really simple

One in the glove box and one in the camera.

I''l do the same

James

Thanks

David

Because of ACPO guidelines you would be very unlikely to be prosecuted for doing 33mph.

The files would show me averaging 30, which should also help.

ACPO stands for,

Association of Chief Police Officers icon_official.v101.png
I searched for it to save others the trouble.

David

Edited by Swizz

If the Police would like a copy of your SD card you can request a copy of the original also request the original back after. You could ask if you can submit it after taking a copy yourself. I personally would not have a problem giving them the original. On the issue of incrimination, this is the negative side of a dashcam but for me the pluses far outweigh the minus. I think if you are a careful, responsible driver you should have nothing to fear and enjoy the benefits and if not you may have to suffer the consequences.

:goodpost:

Is the recording admissable in evidence?

If not then you may be putting too much faith in its ability as a get out of Gaol card, I would think its more likely to be useful in a Civil Case if you needed to claim off someone

Imagine you were a jury member, & that's what admissible really comes down to, then look at the video quality & clarity of number plates, in two YouTube clips with a cheap cam & an expensive one respectively.

&

They don't include accidents so you will need a bit of imagination.

But if you really seek accidents just put dashcam accidents in YouTube.

David

Sorry Arthur,

Links were there when I finished the draft but disappeared during metamorphosis into a post, within iPad.

I'll try again later on a PC.

As an afterthought they were the same 2 links as in post# 48

David

Edited by Swizz

Sorry mate. ...... I do like my reversing camera. ....lol ;)

My inbuilt satnav/radio/TV etc. unit had the option to include the reversing camera so I fitted one. I find I don't really use it all that much, the built in reverse sensors are much more useful.

Well there is a way of dealing with this.

Now I will not call the Police they do a real hard job and I see this every day.

If they will not act and the video shows what happened and the number plate ask to taik to the Cheif Conor even talk to place commissioner and just say the worlds

I want to bring this to your attention before they kill some one and I wish you to take action of some sorts. A letter or a talking to will do.

Now if no action is taken the Police old be questions to answer.

Again I am not here to knock the police but some times back to basics and look after the small stuff is important.

I don't think driving is small stuff by the way.

James

Within an hours use of my camera, I caught a really serious case of road rage and dangerous driving which clearly included the number plate. I would dearly love to see the police do something about it, but I very much doubt they would bother. Instead I uploaded it to Youtube, with a written commentary on the action, with the registration number included.

Within an hours use of my camera, I caught a really serious case of road rage and dangerous driving which clearly included the number plate. I would dearly love to see the police do something about it, but I very much doubt they would bother. Instead I uploaded it to Youtube, with a written commentary on the action, with the registration number included.

Wow, I would submite that one, what a fool.

If I am honest I really do not take fools gladly and I would give that drive 6 months.

End off

Why should we wait till he kills some one.

Thanks for your post.

James

How would I go about submitting it, without appearing to act as a pretend policeman?

I've submitted some such reports before and been made to feel I was wasting my time. I've reported a two car owner for driving both cars without insurance, the result - nothing, they are still being driven uninsured, still parked on the road without insurance.

Edited by harry.m1byt

How would I go about submitting it, without appearing to act as a pretend policeman?

I've submitted some such reports before and been made to feel I was wasting my time. I've reported a two car owner for driving both cars without insurance, the result - nothing, they are still being driven uninsured, still parked on the road without insurance.

Harry,

See post 57.

I videoed a speeder today.

I was logging 43 in a 60 zone & was passed at about 60 just 20 yards before a 40 sign. I got the sign, car & number plate.

Had I swerved for a child as he overtook me, I would have nudged him & wife into the 40 foot canal on his right.

I followed him home & the video shows him getting out of the car.

Full sequence

There is a problem, though. He is a neighbour & very friendly.

Perhaps an offer to show him the results of my new toy, will stand in for a quiet word!

Acquainting with what modern tech can do. Someone else could have slipped the file to lads in blue.

What would you do?

David

Edited by Swizz

Harry,

See post 57.

David

Post 57 is not very clear to me, as to what it is suggesting. ..

'There is a mi witness site were you can post it.'

- what is that?

'You can also contact road safe and they will post it'

- again what is that?

'Or you can contact your local bobby ans ask him to deal with it.'

I already have a couple of complaints running with them, not related to driving, but they seem generally ineffectual.

I'm loath to go over their (local) heads, though on occasion I have done so a few times. A couple of years ago, I had a complaint about a police sergeants conduct abusive conduct, so I went straight to the top with my complaint and it was satisfactorily dealt with.

James,

Can you clarify post 57, I was waiting to get some interesting videos before checking them out.

It struck me that copying a video of illegal & dangerous activity, in the first instance, to a named officer, giving 7 days to respond, would suffice.

Should there be no action after 7 days a copy direct to the police commissioner would be justified. Together with a complaint that this dangerous person / activity was sadly being treat very lightly.

If that got nowhere then publicity in press & YouTube might wake them.

Anyone going down that route must subsequently drive with exquisite correctness as you must assume your number plate will have been highlighted.

In parallel starting a petition to recall the Commissioner might set an interesting precedent!

David

Edited by Swizz

James,

Can you clarify post 57, I was waiting to get some interesting videos before checking them out.

It struck me that copying a video of illegal & dangerous activity, in the first instance, to a named officer, giving 7 days to respond, would suffice.

Should there be no action after 7 days a copy direct to the police commissioner would be justified. Together with a complaint that this dangerous person / activity was sadly being treat very lightly.

If that got nowhere then publicity in press & YouTube might wake them.

Anyone going down that route must subsequently drive with exquisite correctness as you must assume your number plate will have been highlighted.

In parallel starting a petition to recall the Commissioner might set an interesting precedent!

David

YouTube is a handy place to archive such videos anyway. Most will be too big for email, much easier to just provide a link to the video on YouTube.

I have now forwarded a link to the video to our local PCSO as the incident happened locally.

YouTube is a handy place to archive such videos anyway. Most will be too big for email, much easier to just provide a link to the video on YouTube.

I have now forwarded a link to the video to our local PCSO as the incident happened locally.

I wasn't well aquainted with PCSOs so search & got PCSO. com & this jod description.

What powers will they have?

All PCSOs will have the following powers:

• Issuing of fixed penalty notices (e. g. riding on footpath; dog fouling; litter)
  • Power to confiscate alcohol and tobacco
  • Power to demand the name and address of a person acting in an anti-social manner
  • Power of entry to save life or prevent damage
  • Removal of abandoned vehicles

Additional powers are being considered by central government

How can they be effective without full police powers?

PCSOs are not police officers. A major part of the work of PCSO's involves tasks that when undertaken by police officers do not require them to resort to using their full police powers. All PCSO's will be given full training to enable them to take appropriate action in the event of difficult circumstances. They will be supervised by police officers and will have radio access to enable them to call for assistance should it be required.

Pl let us know about their effectiveness, it might be less than you hope for.

David

Hi Harry,

within your video there was a rear view display, that looked interesting & good.

Details pl. The OP is dashcam but a rearcam just about qualifies.

David

Hi Harry,

within your video there was a rear view display, that looked interesting & good.

Details pl. The OP is dashcam but a rearcam just about qualifies.

David

Not sure what you are asking, but. ...

The cam is this one -

http://cgi. ebay. co. uk/ws/eBayISAPI. dll?ViewItem&item=221229531526

Which I'm finding to be a quite good and cheap, tidy solution. It has two cameras, front HD, rear lower density and records both simultaneously. but as two entirely separate files, in two separate folders on the Micro SD Card. The video is recorded as two files, which start at exactly the same time and it stores them as an optional 10, 5, 3 or 1 minute files, with no apparent gap between the old file and new file.

As they were separate files, you need some software to overlay the rear cam image on top of the front video (PIP), I found Wondershare Video Editor would do that.

I bought a cam a few years ago and it was so useless I returned it for a refund. The resolution was poor, it would not reliably start up and shutdown on ignition and the whole thing looked clumsy - one of those with a rubber sucker and a flip down screen. It stuck out a long way from the screen. This one is almost invisible, sticks tight up to the screen, with just the camera needing to be rotated to align it.

The only issue I have found, is that they overheat and crash, when the sun beats down on them and they also need to charge at the same time, but they recover. A really neat little unit, with a separate rear cam.

Here is another full size sample of the front. ...

http://www. youtube. com/watch?v=rvfQ-...ature=youtu. be

and the matching section of rear cam video. ..

http://www. youtube. com/watch?v=UJFHc. ..ature=youtu. be

They are not mine, but taken by the same camera.

An hour ago, I finished the install by sorting out the power to come on with the ignition. I've adapted the ciggy plug unit, to wire into my ATC loom and tapped into an ignition on feed. I don't like having things permanently plugged into ciggy outlet and my outlets are on all of the time, so I turned the plug in PSU into a more permanently wired unit, which was quite an easy task. on this unit.

As the Chinglish manual was so poor, I rewrote it for my own use. Its here is anyone wants a copy-

http://myweb. tiscali. co. uk/m1byt/Car. ..p%20Manual. doc

Edited by harry.m1byt

That was an answer & a half, Harry.

Looks a good twin cam. Especially for the £40 price. I've heard of motor homes using the twin cams both for rear view, one set high & looking down for reversing while the other is for 1 m high horizontal general rear view to see bits the mirrors miss.

The image doesn't look like the one in the video which seemed as if it was around 15 cm wide by 4 cm high, with an excellent rear view.

perhaps I need to look again at your video.

David