Sign in to follow this  
Jcf1966

New Dash Cam

Just loving my new dash cam, blackvue 400g HD, nice pictures both day and night and just knowing it is there I a great peace of mind.

I had it hard wired in with the switch for parking mode, this means I can turn parking mode on, and it will not flatten the battery or I can turn it off.

Then biggest problem with park mode is the alarm flash on the facia. It keep the camera recording all the time. So you have to cover it with a rag etc. works very well.

The mic is a ok quality not great but good enough.

Big recomend

James

Some would say it is a little expensive.

The audio will record road rage so do take care if you get cut-up when driving round. :rolleyes:

http://www. amazon. co. uk/BlackVue-DR400G-Vehicle-Recording-Version/dp/B007V00GT2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344978055&sr=8-1

:ph34r:

Mine came free with my car, very handy. .... Twice now people have rushed to my aid to help me back my car to my caravan. They're surprised to see the satnav turn into a camera as soon as I put it in reverse. ......

it is but much better than the rest i have seen plus it fit behind the mirror so i dont se it i got mine for just under 200 fomr my birthday, well early birthday as i wanted to fit it to the new car.

talking about a forward facing cam gooney not the parking aid.

james

Sorry mate. ...... I do like my reversing camera. ....lol ;)

Does anyone have any cheaper alternatives around the £100 mark from the UK?

How about this £17 dash camera

Those things are not very good, but for £17 I guess you can't complain too much.

The camera is advertised as 1280p, which a) doesn't exist, and B) is not a resolution the camera can actually record at. The best is can do is 1280x960, which is some way off "full hd". I doubt the picture quality will be up to much, as resolution isn't everything. ..

But hey, it's £17.

Edited by Ribs

Does anyone have any cheaper alternatives around the £100 mark from the UK?

If you have an iphone (possibly available on android too ) get the app called Witness Driving. I got a windscreen mount for the phone for £6 and the app costs £1. 49. It works a treat day & night, records a rolling hour. Very user friendly and you can choose at what speed the screen goes blank so it doesn't become too much of a distraction. (saves the battery too)

Hi Tunnelvision,

That sounds like a great option. In the end having discussed in with the OH, since we would obtain a discount on the insurance (15% with Adrian Flux) she was happy to pay out for a proper RoadHawk RH-2 unit.

Been watching some of the YouTube videos that they have captured and it's unbelieveable some of the incidents people try to get away with!

Thanks for all the help though.

Hi Tunnelvision,

That sounds like a great option. In the end having discussed in with the OH, since we would obtain a discount on the insurance (15% with Adrian Flux) she was happy to pay out for a proper RoadHawk RH-2 unit.

I had no idea insurance companies were offering discount with these items fitted. If that's the case, I'm gonna join you as that 1st years discount will go towards the cost of the unit and might end up paying for it in the end.

I had no idea insurance companies were offering discount with these items fitted. If that's the case, I'm gonna join you as that 1st years discount will go towards the cost of the unit and might end up paying for it in the end.

I tried my present insurer, National Farmers Union, but they don't give discount for that.

I'm going to ring a few, but if anyone confirms another does, then posting here would be helpful.

I noticed 15% with Adrian Flux in post 10 but that sounds like a broker.

I went back to the Road Hawk website & they mention one or two participating brokers who mostly seem to insure trucks.

Without a little monitor screen you seem to have no way to check that it is actually recording.

Also if you actually have an accident there seems no way to review the relevant footage. Or have I missed something ?

It would be a bit of a downer if you declare you have footage that shows the other guy is at fault only to get home & you review shows otherwise.

I realise that for another 100 you can buy a monitor.

Is there a way to use an iPhone as your monitor ?

Seems like I'll have to get out & sell 10,000 copies of Big Issue. :wub:

David

Without a little monitor screen you seem to have no way to check that it is actually recording.

Also if you actually have an accident there seems no way to review the relevant footage. Or have I missed something ?

It would be a bit of a downer if you declare you have footage that shows the other guy is at fault only to get home & you review shows otherwise.

David

You can go to the novus site and look at the MI system, it does look good.

As for the video of the accident, if it happens in front of you then why would you not have it.

The pleople I know who went for cams with screens on the back say unless you can turn them off there a real pain at night

James

You can go to the novus site and look at the MI system, it does look good.

As for the video of the accident, if it happens in front of you then why would you not have it.

The pleople I know who went for cams with screens on the back say unless you can turn them off there a real pain at night

James

Hi James,

I agree that at night a Sat Nav screen is quite enough.

But I got to

http://www. novusauto. com/product. php?p=1&cid=2&pageitem=10&proview=y

This doesn't lead me to "M1"

Which URL did you have?

David

David

Hi Swizz, We all know we can make mistakes and in all honesty we know when we are at fault. Alright you cant review the recording there and then but when you get home you can use the provided software to review the accident BEFORE you present the evidence. Presumably if it shows YOU were at fault you would keep the footage to yourself? :unsure: Peter

Edited by peterjohn

Hi Swizz, We all know we can make mistakes and in all honesty we know when we are at fault. Alright you cant review the recording there and then but when you get home you can use the provided software to review the accident BEFORE you present the evidence. Presumably if it shows YOU were at fault you would keep the footage to yourself? :unsure: Peter

thanks Peter,

In all the reviews on YouTube & home sites one sees the ongoing frontal view with google maps etc etc

So I jumped to conclusions ! :wub::o

David

Hi James,

I agree that at night a Sat Nav screen is quite enough.

But I got to

http://www. novusauto. com/product. php?p=1&cid=2&pageitem=10&proview=y

This doesn't lead me to "M1"

Which URL did you have?

David

Hello David

You could ring them, I know it is a very new bit of kit and does look great but my info is from a chap from Jaginfo I have bought from novus and flung them to offer great service.

James

http://www. mi-witness. co. uk/

This is the site

I thunk it is run by novus

James

I recently got one of these. .. Feels a bit "cheap and cheerful", but it does the job well. In fact, have a mini-review:

Recorded a nice indicent recently when some pinhead ran a red light. Sadly the camera is useless at picking up number plates in the dark (when this happened). During the day it can struggle at times, but you can usually read a plate if you pause the image on your computer.

One thing I love about it is the built-in screen, which may come in extremely useful after an incident; "Yes officer, as you can clearly see, I was driving normally, and this moron overtook me aggressively and then slammed on the brakes a second later". That was the killer feature for me. It's all well and good having a nice dashcam, but if you can't review the footage there and then when a arrest could be made, it's a bit of a waste in my opinion.

The camera makes a weird "magic" noise when it's powered up, and when it switches off, which is re-assuring. My car's front lighter socket (it has two for some reason!) comes on with the ignition, so the camera knows when to power on and off, and will charge itself when it's on. Make sure your car does this before you buy, unless you are capable of wiring this in yourself somehow.

A word of warning; if you do a lot of short journeys (less than 10 minutes), then the camera battery will become flat, and the camera will switch on (with the magic sound), then switch off again (with another magic sound) as it has a flat battery. Letting the car run for 30 seconds then manually turning the camera on fixes this. Doing a "long run" in the car will also give it enough charge to last about three weeks before it misbehaves again. I don't think the cold weather is helping, either. If you regularly do longer journeys, you'll not notice this.

I ended up replacing the charger smartcam gave me with a "bullet" style dual USB charger which is much more discreet and allows me to charge my phone and run the camera at the same time. As I use my phone as a satnav, this is very helpful. I did have to buy a USB to mini-USB cable to go with that, and was able to run the cable around the trim of the car, so it's barely noticeable. I've had passengers in the car which simply haven't noticed the camera at all, even on a long journey. Anyone that does notice it only does so after a good 20 minutes or so.

I use one of these that the wife gave me for christmas a couple of years ago.

http://www. 7dayshop. com/7dayshop-hd-vehicle-video-camera-kit-with-2-4-colour-screen-record-your-journeys?backUrl=L3Bob3RvLXZpZGVvLXN1cHBsaWVzI3A9NA

I then take the SD card out and transfer the imagery to the laptop, then use windows Movie Maker to turn the 5 minute video segments into one long video.

I use, at the moment, a 4GB SD card which will hold an hours video, now there are larger SD cards which will hold more imagery.

A lot of the cheaper versions have number plate problems until you change the settings and then they become readable.

Mine has Infrared Led to illuminate at night.

ie.

High resolution audio & video recording of 1280 x 960, 640 x 480 & 320 x 240 Pixels

Mine has Infrared Led to illuminate at night.

Does this actually make any difference?

I tested mine, found it only made a difference when my hand was a few inches in front of the camera. The car was parked about 12 feet in front of a fence during the night when I tested, and having those LED lights on or off made no difference what-so-ever. I could see nothing with or without the LEDs. With the car headlights on, I could see okay, but the LEDs on the dashcam still made no difference.

Then a friend said to me "there is a reason your car headlights are that size, y'know"

Hrmmm, small LEDs, or honking great headlights. .. I guess he had a point.