Sign in to follow this  
NickiePete

Warning To Caravan Owners

If you have no eye to attach your breakaway cable to;

people are referred to this item http://www. towsure. c. ..y_Cable_Bracket

No excuses

And for swan necks and detachables without the 16 mm bolts that bracket is designed for?

Wonder if we should ask any \ all Police forces how they attached a breakaway cable when towing their mobile incident \ recruitment \ etc \ trailers? :unsure:

It should be used as shown on the PDF issued by the Caravan Club posted in the topic at post number 14

Just as a point of clarity. .. those guidelines are issued by the National Caravan Council, not the Caravan Club.

They are endorsed by the Caravan Club, Camping & Caravan Club, NTTA, NCC and SMMT.

FT

LHD

Does there always have to be a law, surely it is common sense?

Ah! ok there needs to be a law :rolleyes:

JTQ

I forgot the swan neck, mine has a pierced flange on the towbar,

it is awkward to reach but it is there.

Is it possible for a breakaway cable, looped incorrectly,

to progressively tighten itself under some circumstances

until the outfit hits a dip and it applies the handbrake but

still being coupled it does not break away. The caravan

brakes would get hot melt the bearing grease and possibly

distort the brake drums.

I've also noted confusion about secondary couplings and breakaway cables. It is fair to say that a secondary coupling may be used below 1500kg. That does not mean that every trailer below 1500kg will have a secondary coupling, the vast majority will have a breakaway cable.

In fact the only trailers I've seen with secondary couplings are un-braked trailers less than 750kg

Likewise, Westfalia detachable on BMW 5-series Touring and there isn`t anywhere to loop a cable through.

And I have been down on my knees.

And underneath it.

No doubt this will also be disputed as there is always someone that "knows it all", but in reality knows dangerously little.

I concur. ... I have fitted a Westfalia tow bar to my 5 series, and there is no loop or eye to fix the break-away cable to. I have no choice but to loop the cable around the tow ball, not ideal on a detachable. .....

Well, perhaps I can`t find a `mandatory attachment point` as one isn`t actually enshrined in EU law.

You can quote as many EU `Agreements` and `Addenda` as you like, but like many bits of paper produced in Brussels they are meaningless. The only scrap of paper which actually counts is the one which has been passed by by the eurocrats and so become LAW.

Therefore, if you wish to actually want to have a look at something which is relevant to the discussion, have a read of Directive 94/20/EC, amended by the Council Directive 2006/96/EC of 20th November 2006.

It doesn`t mention anything about getting on ones knees.

Did you read either of the links provided?

free

Did you read either of the links provided?

free

Yes, but as I have said, there are literally hundreds (thousands?) of such documents which are discussed and published by the EU, very much like a White Paper published by the UK Government. Just as a UK bill isnt law unless it has passed by the Government of the day, an EU document has no power and doesn`t become a "law" until it is ratified by the EU Parliament. Directive 94/20/EC has been ratified and can be enforced. The links you provided have not, and in any case would have been superceded by 94/20/EC.

from volvo

Attachment

The breakaway cable and secondary coupling should be attached to the towbar in one of two ways:

Looped over - the forming of a loop with hook or clip on the end of the cable back to the cable to form a loop over the towbar. This is a common practice but if the tow hitch fails the cable could unloop itself over the towball.

Directly - fixing of the sprung hook or clip on the end of the breakaway cable or secondar coupling through a closed hole, loop, eyelet pigtail attachment. This is the preferred method. NOTE. with a detachable towbar the breakaway cable or secondary coupling must be attached DIRECTLY to the attachment point, which must not be on, or part of, the removable component(s). The cable should be of sufficient length so as not to come into contact with the ground, but must also have sufficient slack to avoid inadvertent brake application when negotiating a tight corner.

interesting that they don`t recommend attach it to detachable parts.

I have been caravanning for about 13yrs, I have had 4 tow cars & 3 vans . . I have had towbars fitted to the 4 cars and every towbar has had an "eye" on it too loop the breakaway cable on it . . IMHO people who say they don't have "eye" on their towbar are to lazy to get down on their knees to look !

Went outside and checked mine before I went to bed last night after reading these posts on the subject, nothing on mine so I will continue to loop it around the towball,

Amazing what you do when you've had a beer or two ;)

Went outside and checked mine before I went to bed last night after reading these posts on the subject, nothing on mine so I will continue to loop it around the towball,

Ditto

whats a break away cable?? :huh: :huh: :huh:

The thing we don't know what to do with, by the looks of it. :P

whats a break away cable?? :huh: :huh: :huh:

:D

In the last twenty-two years I've had four Golfs, two Citroen ZX's, two Audi A3's and I have now got a Tiguan. All have had factory fitted tow bars and not one of them has had an attachment for the break away cable. In the Tiguan handbook it says the break away cable must be attached to the towing vehicle but gives no advice on how or where!

I will continue to do what I have always done and put the cable round the tow ball.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey Kayak - where's the partridge in a pear tree then? ;)

Probably perching in the tree with the break away cable round its neck, unless it has a dedicated attachment point. ;)

:D :D

In the last twenty-two years I've had four Golfs, two Citroen ZX's, two Audi A3's and I have now got a Tiguan. All have had factory fitted tow bars and not one of them has had an attachment for the break away cable. In the Tiguan handbook it says the break away cable must be attached to the towing vehicle but gives no advice on how or where!

I will continue to do what I have always done and put the cable round the tow ball.

We had a towbar and electrics fitted by the VW dealer,genuine VW parts,and there are two attachment points for a breakaway cable,one either side.

Ian

I've always found the VW factory fitted different to the dealer fitted.

I have now spoken to the Police, who couldn't advise, NCC, again they couldn't help. However have emailed Alko who tell me that if the breakaway cable is being attached direct to a point on the towbar, a carabina clip needs to be used. So overall advice seems to be. Use a anchorage point on the towbar if there is one using a carabina. If no anchorage point clip around the towbar - just don't get pulled over on the M25 by the police!

Same here. If you had to crawl on your hands and knees to find it, it could be regarded as discriminatory and illegal.

Somehow I missed this thread!

Have said this before here but about 4 years ago my 'van had been into Barrons/Discover depot for annual service and I then had a Jeep with a detachable towball. They wouldn't let me leave until I had taken the breakaway off the towball and fastened it elsewhare. ......I actually had an old breakaway onboard and I made a loop which fixed around the backplate and the 'van cable hooked on nicely. ........

Why had they bothered? Well Durham Police had pulled several vehicles just after leaving their yard for this offence only.

geoff