Sign in to follow this  
jamesrussell

Wet Wall

cut a long storey short found bottom of side wall under front seat wet so resealed all the rails thought problem sorted but last week felt the wall under main window and it was spongey peeled the plastic wallpaer off to find wall soaking and black with mould.

I have peeled most of that wallpaper off and now waiting for it to dry.

It really is in a bad way so I am thinking about glueing a new piece of plywood from the floor up to and around the window to try and strengthen it.

Can anyone suggest what kind of adhesive could help me.

ps the floor was bone dry it was only wet under the plastic coating a foot off the floor!!

I think also you'll find the timber framing around the area also black and rotting. Best thing you can do is to remove the wallboard in the area and see what the framing is like. It's not too difficult a job to cut back the rotten timber and replace it with new. You'll be able to find matching sections in B&Q/Wickes.

just peeled off the last section of wet and soggy covering the horizontal frame seems ok so I will be putting a piece off ash covered ply i am thinking of screwing it to frame work were possible but just wondering what adhesive to use.

Now I do a lot of property renovations and use expanded foam as a glue it works well and fills in uneven gaps how about using this?

or I have used PU glue when contructing stair cases??

or good old evo stick contact glue what is the general consensus out there

if framework ok are you saying its ok just to replace the ply to bad area

I would have thought if the wall board is saturated and disintegrating some of the framing must also be showing signs of rot. Use a small screwdriver into the grain of the wood to test. The surface should be solid.

To cut the walboard I used a Stanley knife taking several runs on each cut. I used a grab adhesive for gluing the new wallboard into position. Struts across the van held it overnight for drying. I wouldn't use expanding foam because you cant control the rate of expansion. You might end up with bulging surfaces. Also don't use and wood hardeners. They will disolve the insulation I used PVCu cloaking mouldings to cover the joins. Some piccys of my recent attempts.

post-261-0-72543500-1344788397_thumb.jpg

post-261-0-20990200-1344788414_thumb.jpg

wow youve done a great job there

looking at the picture it looks like you have the original type of covering can you still get it

what king of grab glue did you use

wow youve done a great job there

looking at the picture it looks like you have the original type of covering can you still get it

what king of grab glue did you use

Grab glue was from Screwfix for 1. 60 per tube. "Can't believe it's not nails"

The new wall board is available but in 8x4 sheets at an eye-watering cost. But I just needed a small piece so I bought a 3x2 sheet of 3. 5mm ply from Wickes. Then two sheets of good quality brown wrapping paper. The paper was glued to both sides of the ply with watered down PVA. Covering both sides keeps the board flat. After it was dry I mixed PVA with acrylic pigment to match the original background and painted it on. After drying I experimented with a slightly darker colour until it resembled the original. That was applied with a small piece of fairly dry sponge. The cloaking bead apllied with white silicone takes care of the small descrepancy at the three edges.

Quite a few suppliers stock wallboard one here;

Wallboard

Anything with solvent in it will dissolve the foam insulation. Waterproof PVA will work.