1998 Elddis Vouge Shamal Damp Repair

just returned from the storage compound after a couple of hours work, started the strip out the front of the van hs been letting in water

far worse than i thought front windows and both sides man water travels far

would like to start a thread with picks etc to follow my progress where is the best place on the forum to do this

1998 Elddis vogue shamal tugged with 54 plate peugeot 807 2. 0 glx

• 5 weeks later...

I would be very interested in your findings but I would like to know how old is the van, and when you say letting water in is repairable, and where does it leak into, ie into the front gas box or into the van, via window seals or joints or faulty sealant etc. ?

thanks for your post so far . if you prefer to post by messenger that's fine, thanks again .

Tony

Thanks for your interest Tony

my van is a 1998 elddis vogue shamal 4 berth L shape lounge and rear bunks in pretty good condition

(apart from the water ingress obviously)

which ive owned for almost 10 yrs and dont have the funds to replace the van in the current economic climate and ive every confidence i can fix it myself and get another 10 yrs happy caravanning

never showed any signs of damp and only noticed the walboard l coming away on a 2 week break in the summer

progress so far . ...covered the van with tarp so no more water can get in until i can find where the water is coming in

ive removed the interior fittings beds, front shelf,overhead lockers etc very carefully

these are definetly not designed to be removed as most of the fixings are from the outside - in

stripped out almost all of the timber at the front of the van including all the timber forming the front 3 windows

both side front windows were completely shot to bits but the centre frame seemed to be ok after drying out

used the old frames as a template and made new ones

removed all wood that is rotted and replaced down one side of the van

removed the bulkhead which was also starting to show signs of damp

striped the other side to see the damage which is not near as bad thank god but will need some wood and insulation replaced

then dried the van out for a few weeks

only to find its not drying as the water seems to be trapped between the alu outer skin and the polistyrene insulation which is very very well bonded to the alu so ive removed the polistyrene insulation carefully with a scraper and now it is dry

replaced insulation on one side wall had to cut 50mm polistyrene sheets down to 21mm thick on a bandsaw as i couldn't find it available anywhere

on stripping out ive noticed quite a few design / build faults (must have been put together last thing on a Friday)

it seems that the water is coming in at the seal above the front windows where the roof meets the grp front panel

the screws holding it were screwed into the middle window frame very well but the screws above theside windows were screwed into absolutly NOTHING

as it looks like someone made a mistake and just filled the gap that should have been wood with polistyrene

its slow but im making good progress

sorry its a long winded reply i'll put up some pictures of the van when i get a chance

cheers

Edited by guiggsy70

Nice to see someone taking on a repair like this it shows that it can be done and on an older caravan there is no need to pay out huge repair bills or even scrap it. Good luck you seem to be doing well.

2005 Kia Sorento 2. 5 Crdi Xe, 2007 Compass Corona Magnum 544 two 80 watt roof solar panels

thanks

i will post up some pics

its not an easy job but so far is going well i can only spare a few hours a week

but i am starting to put things back together now which feels far better than the sick feeling i got when i started to uncover what seemed to be endless damp

the dealer i bought it from 10yrs ago has the same model on sale at around £3 k without a trade in

and tells me it would be in the region of £2 k to fix mine because of the hours involved

ive already clocked up about 20 or so hours just stripping outso at their rate of £35 ive already saved £700 of my hard earned cash

but the van is in realy good condition otherwise for its age and the wife and kids love it

so it was a no brainer to take on the repair myself

only problem is i was looking forward to a break as ive just recently finished a very sucsesfull self build loft conversion on my own house which took the best part of 2 yrs

just cant seem to catch a break

looking forward to a break in the van with the family when its finished

cheers

http://www. caravanta. ..n-repairs-2008/

Result of a leaking hinge rail. .......... Had to replace all the upper and vertical timbers and cut a front wall board from a full sheet using an electric jig saw to fit the windows back in.

The inner board was cut to size to fit behind the frame and then pinned. Once that was done we cut out the windows to match the plastic outer of the front. New rubbers and then refit the window and fittings.

The blue in the photo is a sheet on the outside to keep out the rain. :rolleyes:

Total cost £200 to a coachbuilder friend.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Thanks guiggsy, just reinforces my thinking I should buy a top of the range Damp Meter (Used buy Surveyors / Building trade ) found one a website e-mailed them and they said for my application I should buy a model that will measure the damp through the walls / ceiling etc. they sell one that does this without spikes so you don't have to pierce walls etc. , most cheap non spike meters will only measure the damp inside the van not behind the walls, they also said if you take your van for Service / check ask to see their Damp Meter Calibration Certificate !! the Meter costs £204 + vat expensive but so is repairs plus time consuming .

Anyhow thanks again sounds like it will be better than new, well done .

Tony

Well done for doing the repair. Just a small note on damp meter calibration. .. I use a protimeter (as do most service engineers), the meter is supplied with a calibration tester which is used before every survey, they do not get supplied with a certificate.

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk

hi i have an elddis crusader sirocco 1999 and appear to have similar damp issues as yourself. As i have to replace wall board at front and rear of van i was wondering if you have any idea where to source wall board for this before commencing to repair.

hi i have an elddis crusader sirocco 1999 and appear to have similar damp issues as yourself. As i have to replace wall board at front and rear of van i was wondering if you have any idea where to source wall board for this before commencing to repair.

A lot of places sell it, do any on this page match?

http://www. olearymotorhomes. co. uk/wallboards-reference-page-please-ring-for-availability-30-c. asp

2005 Kia Sorento 2. 5 Crdi Xe, 2007 Compass Corona Magnum 544 two 80 watt roof solar panels

to keep cost down im not using the original style wallboard

as i need 4 - 7 x 4 sheets at around at around £100 + delivery

im using 4 mm exterior ply -free from where i work

ive been able to glue and pin this in place and dont have to be 100% critical when cutting and fitting as any small gaps can be filled and covered with the viynl paper

and found some vinyl paper at b&q that is a very good match for the orininal board £6

for the new framing ive used tulip wood which is very good to work with light and strong and doesnt have knots like whitewood

good luck with the repair

add some pics and keep us posted

cheers

thanks for your reply found your feedback helpful. i will now have to go and assess the amount of board i will require to do the job. what kind of adhesive are you using to stick down the panels?

thanks edshaz for your reply the olearys was the only one i could find just wondered if anyone knew of any other?

Hi there millibuff

im using solvent free grab adhesive so as not to disolve the insulation

its kind of like pink grip and no nails

used it a lot on my loft conversion its good stuff

for the exterior re-seal im using sikaflex

cheers best of luck with your repair

enjoy your break . .

thanks will do :)

thanks for your reply found your feedback helpful. i will now have to go and assess the amount of board i will require to do the job. what kind of adhesive are you using to stick down the panels?

thanks edshaz for your reply the olearys was the only one i could find just wondered if anyone knew of any other?

I think Magnum supply wall boards as well thats where i have sourced mine from

2001 Hyundai Trajet 2. 0 Petrol

1991 Swift Conqueror 520/5

• 6 years later...

Wow I know this is an old thread but just wondering if anyone can shed some light on how to remove the internal fittings in this van . I have just acquired a 1990 shamal which has been in retirement for some years but I am intending on removing the interior cabinets and convert the van into a retro photo booth . From what I can see the fixings seem to be secured from the exterior by some means . 

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.