Nissan X-trail

Pete

I have noticed that there are a few of us out there with an X-Trail.

When you are towing do you have the 4 wheel drive mode on 2 wheel drive or auto?

I always have mine on 2 wheel drive. No reason other than I always forget to even think about it when I'm driving/towing.

I have used 4 wheel drive mode to pull the van off a very wet and muddy field and it was excellent. (Field was a bit of a mess though with quite deep ruts.)

Pete.

Hi Pete

Like you, if I remember (getting old) I put it into auto - just to be on the safe side I suppose.

I have only used the locked 4WD once - again to manoeuvre the 'van after the car had sunk down about 4" into a very soggy field. Worked brilliantly but I didn't half leave a mess on what WAS a pristine looking lawn area! :rolleyes:

Pete

Solo or towing I generally run in 2 wheel drive mode. However do switch to Auto if road conditions look as though they could be slippery. Not yet had to use 4 wheel drive!!! One thing I notice when towing, and perhaps a good reason for putting it in Auto, is the amount of wheel spin I get at roundabouts when moving off. So much power!!!

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

I tend to drive in 2 wheel mode when towing unless I encounter front wheel spin when moving off, then select auto mode for the remainder of the journey.

Very pleased with auto mode when towing my caravan and a friends caravan out of a very muddy field over Christmas period.

Same as everyone else, 2WD for towing, only selecting Auto or 4WD when the going gets tough !

One question to other x-trailers, when reversing onto a pitch, do you get a rather nasty smell . .. presumably from the clutch ? Doesn't matter if it is in 2WD or 4WD, but certainly worse if the reverse is up a slope ? Should we report this problem at our next service ?

Thanks

Sarah

Sarah

Interesting you saying that. Not experienced a smell when reversing but after about a 100 mile journey once we had a fairly strong smellof cutch/brake!

David

David - Milton Keynes

Caravan Travels

We used to get a nasty smell from our previous car (Freelander) if I had to do a bit of reversing. (Thats when the car worked!!!!)

We had a caravan mover fitted before I got the X-Trail so I've never reversed with the caravan.

Pete.

I bought new X-Trail Dci in September from main dealer. (54 reg) and on our first towing outing we noticed vibration and rattling from engine when climbing inclines. just as if bonnet stay insecure or exhaust heat shield loose. Five months and 4000 miles later this has got so bad it now sounds like big - ends gone. Was due to book Western France tour - but pointless as x- trail unlikely to get to Portsmouth without blowing up. I have been waiting for 'fix' from Nissan since October, they say there is known problem with timing chain on this new engine, but as yet, no cure. I have now lost patience, and am now demanding new replacement vehicle. We are are only towing lightly laden Pageant Champagne which is well within towing limits - wearing ear muffs you wouldn't know it's there.

I have threatened to set up camp on their forecourt until they sort this out, I will let you know how I get on. :angry:

Hi CP

This was a known problem with the first X-Trails which was fixed (I believe) on all new cars after about Jan 03. Older cars were recalled for the modification to the cam chain tensioner.

I didn't realise that there was still a problem with the new DCi models.

There is a long tale of woe here:

http://www. myxtrail. com/

If you read it all you will probably worry about your own vehicle - it's a bit like reading a medical book - you'll find something wrong with you if you try hard enough! :rolleyes:

However, I think this case is very unusual and very extreme - hope so anyway!

John

For donkeys years I have had SMAT Weekenders and always thought them very good. Unfortunately the X-Trail door is just a bit too big to accept them. You can stretch the the strap but I found that it started to mark the door. The final straw was when one of the straps snapped on the dockside at Dover so had to do a Blue Peter type repair!! Now have the type that fit on the rim of the X-Trail mirror a bit like these ones Towing Mirror but mine has a strap that goes round the back of the mirror and clips on the bottom edge of the mirror. They work as well as the weekenders and a lot easier to put on.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Caravan Travels

I use the same mirrors on my X-Trail - have had them for years. In fact the strap has broken on both mine but I still use them and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

I did e-mail Milenco to find out if they supplied new straps but they told me not to bother - I didn't really need them!!

Back to the original question. I being conservative, with a small 'c', have always used the 'auto' setting, but have also observed the 'smell' when reversing onto a pitch.

Paul

Hi

I always used mine in auto and the clutch started to smell each time I towed like many other cars do (particulary when reversing). Until a trip to Cornwall last year a bout 300 miles I noticed the clutch starting to slip, limped home and to the dealer with only 23000 miles on the clock I expected better! a 4x4 towing well within its limits. clutch is only covered opto 10000 miles on waranty however Nissan services did contribute 500 pounds to the cost of replacement (I paid 250) but as a result I have lost faith in the x-trail so it sits in the garage most of the time as I have bought myself a pajero which I hope is up to the job.

Martin

We have a Oct 2003 registered 2. 2 D (old model). I've done 39,000+ miles. The clutch does stink when reversing up a slope but then so did the CRV. It's had 2 front wheel bearings and the sunroof has just given up the ghost. I always have it in auto on the basis that if it needs 4wd it will do it and if it doesn't - it won't. Can't see the point of 2wd.

If you boot it round corners it will understeer like crazy in 2wd. In auto the rear wheels kick in and it oversteers slightly - very manageable. I only use 4wd when it is very slippery (ie lots of mud, ice or snow or when towing off grass etc.) Because there is no centre diff it would probably wind up the transmission.

The 'van (1200kg mtplm) tows better with 90-100kg on the nose (70-75kg on the CRV) demonsrated by 2 blowouts and no drama. The interior plastics are a bit naff and I miss the armrests from the CRV. But up to now am quite pleased with it.

Mike

Just been reading What Car - Car of the Year awards.

Compact 4x4 category:

1st - X-Trail 2. 2 DCi

2nd - Honda CRV

3rd - Toyota RAV 4

8565[/snapback]

I've just read it and watched the video. Nice to see that we picked the right car. (Well according to What Car anyway.)

Pete :)

Hi,

If you bought What car mag it came with a free DVD.

Mike