Sign in to follow this  
Dan1

Sprites- Really Such A Step Back?

Hi all,

Me and wifey have a 2003 2 berth coachman. We have a baby due very soon and will no doubt need the extra space as the baby begins to grow/ move about by itself.

We would love a new caravan and are tempted by sprites new model prices.

Before we waste anytime viewing them does anyone think that going from a coachman to a sprite will be a big step backwards in quality/ comfort.

Or is it barely noticeable?

Don't think it would be a step back. British caravans are pretty "much of a muchness."

I suggest you look one over-very closely and make up your own mind.

I suggest you look one over-very closely and make up your own mind.

:goodpost:

We looked at the Sprite Alpine 4 before we bought our Charisma 535. It's basically the same van but we decided to go SH to save some cash and the dealer had the 535 in stock.

I thought the Sprite was a great van and when you actually look at the differences between it and so called higher spec vans it looks like a sensible choice to me.

We lookled at the Sprites recently but decided that the finish in the Coachmans was a lot better. also looked at Sterlings and thought they loked like a budget airline inside with some cheap looking plastic mouldings.

Edited by proterra

I have a Sprite Alpine 4 fixed bed (2006) it does for us, and we use ours all year round, full facility sites, five van sites and rallies. Ok it does not have a microwave, not that we wanted one, but you can get them as extra. Build quality is good, it had its six year service in June, just a couple of wear and tear items to replace, gas strut on gas locker lid and a small gas leak in a joint behind fridge and most important, no signs of water ingress. Never had a problem in the six years, just changed the tyres at year four, they showed cracks in the tyre wall (Matador).

They are comfortable, warm in winter, lightweight and tow well, but do have a look and make your own choice, we are happy with ours.

I have a Sprite Alpine 4 fixed bed (2006) it does for us, and we use ours all year round, full facility sites, five van sites and rallies. Ok it does not have a microwave, not that we wanted one, but you can get them as extra. Build quality is good, it had its six year service in June, just a couple of wear and tear items to replace, gas strut on gas locker lid and a small gas leak in a joint behind fridge and most important, no signs of water ingress. Never had a problem in the six years, just changed the tyres at year four, they showed cracks in the tyre wall (Matador).

They are comfortable, warm in winter, lightweight and tow well, but do have a look and make your own choice, we are happy with ours.

Yep when we looked at the alpine4 there was a £499 option pack which had microwave, Al-Ko act, scatter cushions and alloy wheels (I think!). Any niggles you are going to get could apply to any swift van as they are in general the same 'nuts and bolts'.

We lookled at the Sprites recently but decided that the finish in the Coachmans was a lot better. also looked at Sterlings and thought they loked like a budget airline inside with some cheap looking plastic mouldings.

Thanks. I have a Sterling. .....and love it. Modern rather than "cheap."

I purchased a new sprite major 6 in 2009. After looking at hundreds of caravans. The van has been fabulous. no problems what so ever ( touch wood ) Some of the so called better caravans were much more expensive and had dark flimsy interior. Ours has the perfect layout for us. Cannot fault my sprite. To be honest the newer caravans seem to be poorer quality. 2011 models havind damp etc. 2009 a good year. ...

MARK. .

i've bought a brandnew 2012 sprite major 6 can't fault it, in terms of it being a step back i can't see how it is - i'd rather have a brand new caravan than a second hand one anyday you know where its been !

Hi all,

Me and wifey have a 2003 2 berth coachman. We have a baby due very soon and will no doubt need the extra space as the baby begins to grow/ move about by itself.

We would love a new caravan and are tempted by sprites new model prices.

Before we waste anytime viewing them does anyone think that going from a coachman to a sprite will be a big step backwards in quality/ comfort.

Or is it barely noticeable?

We looked around and settled for a new Alpine 4 fixed bed Its the Biz, and very light to tow, got every thing we need, and I dont stop at the Diesel pump so often now. an" entry level Van" dont know who made that one up ? :D I will probably buy another one.

Stevenj

Hi Steven, glad you went for the sprite. When i was looking for my new caravan a salesman also said to me that the Sprite was the enrty lower level van. This really annoyed me and i told him that the sprite was far superior quality and interior than the Bailey ranger he was trying to sell me which was £ 2500 more than i paid for my Sprite Major 6. I paid £ 13,000 for my van and is worth every penny. My van turns 4 this year and you would think it was bought yesterday, Immaculate. .

Hope you enjoy it. ..

MARK.

Is the interior still light wood in the new sprite. We have the fixed bunks at the rear of the van, i see the new models have them at the side. We also have the garage door at the side, this is fab for the kids bikes. people still come over to inspect our van when they see the side door open. this is something the new sprite does not have, what a pity we keep windbreakers and loads of stuff at the back. I would buy another sprite without hesitation. ..

Hi Steven, glad you went for the sprite. When i was looking for my new caravan a salesman also said to me that the Sprite was the enrty lower level van. This really annoyed me and i told him that the sprite was far superior quality and interior than the Bailey ranger he was trying to sell me which was £ 2500 more than i paid for my Sprite Major 6. I paid £ 13,000 for my van and is worth every penny. My van turns 4 this year and you would think it was bought yesterday, Immaculate. .

Hope you enjoy it. ..

MARK.

Mark its funny you should say that, we were looking at a new Bailey which was sitting in the same salesroom as the Sprite. and quite honestly we much prefered the interior of the Sprite and with the extra pack at £ 400, gave us alloy wheels a hitch stabiliser radio/cd and extra cushions + it is a lot lighter than the Bailey, Yes I will buy another (entry level !!) Sprite

Stevenj

When we bought our sprite it was the diamond anniversary year, we got spare wheel, alloy wheels, fly screen, hitch, spare cusions, cd player. It was a fantastic offer. The interior is light with the silver trim on the cupboards. the overall interior quality is great as some hinges and finishings can be flimsy and cheap. The dark wood finishings make the van look dull and drab. BUT its all down to personal choice.

Going away to Forfar this weekend so i hope its nice weather. Cant wait. ...

When we bought our sprite it was the diamond anniversary year, we got spare wheel, alloy wheels, fly screen, hitch, spare cusions, cd player. It was a fantastic offer. The interior is light with the silver trim on the cupboards. the overall interior quality is great as some hinges and finishings can be flimsy and cheap. The dark wood finishings make the van look dull and drab. BUT its all down to personal choice.

Going away to Forfar this weekend so i hope its nice weather. Cant wait. ...

Enjoy Forfar, I rember pulling against their tug o war team 30years ago, at that time they were unbeatable I still have the ache's and pains to this day. BIG BIG Lads. :blink:

New to caravaning, just purchased sprite alpine 4 2010, hopefully this doesn`t sound a daft question, to get a cool fridge for when you arrive on site ?, i have new type socket but when i put fridge on to battery before we leave, the blue light just flashes and its never cold when we arrive, i presume i must turn something else on ?

Stormwatch

To get best cooling effect you should cool the fridge for several hours by using gas or mains electricity before towing. It is also advisable to fill the freezer compartment with pre frozen food before commencing the journey.

With the fridge selection switch in the battery position when towing the fridge will struggle to maintain the pre-cooled temperature and any stoppages on the journey will tend to increase the temperature in the fridge.

Last Sunday, before setting on a journey of 100 miles and having used the caravan fridge on electricity for the previous ten days, I disconnected the EHU and switched the fridge selection switch to battery and hitched to the tug. I towed for approximately 3 hours and on arrival at my destination the temperature in the fridge was 5 degrees C which I would consider to be suitable for the contents. None of the contents of the freezer compartment had been affected and were just as solid as when commencing the journey.

Selecting the battery position before towing is correct but when the towing vehicle is on tick-over the blue light will flash as there insufficient current to trigger the fridge relay. By increasing the towing revs the blue light should be steady. If not you may have a wiring problem with the towing vehicle.

DeeTee