Route To Scarborough

Just need to confirm route has no surprises (hill climb) to concern the caravan users.

Start from M1/M18/M62 then via A64?

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Just need to confirm route has no surprises (hill climb) to concern the caravan users.

Start from M1/M18/M62 then via A64?

Sounds good to me. thats the way we go from Sheffield. The alternate road via M18,to howden & then onto Driffield means coming down & up Staxton hill which is a no go for caravans as its too steep.

Coachman Pastiche tugged by Mazda CX-7, Wine supplied by Sainsburys & sunday Times wine Club.

Edited my M64/62 error.

Driffield sounds a bad idea?

Just trying to avoid A64 round York. .......

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Personally, from the midlands/south I would always plump for A1 to Jnct 44 then A64 all the way to Scarborough. Yorks pretty busy traffic wise, but at least your on dual carriageways around it & Malton. No nasties I know of on this route.

Les.
2. 0ltr 150TDCi TITANIUM X KUGA + 2016 Elddis Crusader Mistral ( Misty )

" I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong "

Depending on the time of day the roundabout at the end of the York bypass gets busy but otherwise the road is usually Ok.

Youre on holiday relax and go with the flow.

Coachman Pastiche tugged by Mazda CX-7, Wine supplied by Sainsburys & sunday Times wine Club.

What's the toll over the Humber Bridge :unsure: Then via Beverly, Bridlington etc.

Not concerned about distance just hills on route.

What's the toll over the Humber Bridge :unsure:

£1. 50

http://www. humberbridge. co. uk/toll_information/toll_charges. php

Škoda Octavia Estate 2. 0TDi 4x4 towing a Compass Omega 482.

Sounds good to me. thats the way we go from Sheffield. The alternate road via M18,to howden & then onto Driffield means coming down & up Staxton hill which is a no go for caravans as its too steep.

Staxton Hill is a B road. The Google view shows 17% and engage low gear. The street view shows an Articulated Truck on it.

Not sure if this is Unsuitable for caravans? Can someone confirm. Obviously don't want to take unnecessary risks.

Staxton Hill is a B road. How is it part of the route?

Doesn't have to be but it's the route a lot of people use rather than the 614 and the outskirts of Brid which is fine and slightly shorter. I regularly use Staxton with van and don't find it a problem but proterra is right - it's a bit steep!

Edited by SamD

Sam :beardy:

Range Rover Sport - Auto Sleepers Kensington

Looking on street view it doesnt say no caravans but there is a sharp bend halfway down. Its up to you but I would go the A64 way, straighter road less twisty doesnt go thro so many villages so hopefully be able to cruise along, unless you get stuck behind a slow caravan!!!!!!!!!!

I thank you all for the input. I will see nearer the day how the weather is and plan an appropriate route.

Is the A64 quieter on a Sunday heading out? Having spent an hour in a jam once I need to be sure it is the best way. ;)

I thank you all for the input. I will see nearer the day how the weather is and plan an appropriate route.

Is the A64 quieter on a Sunday heading out? Having spent an hour in a jam once I need to be sure it is the best way. ;)

Depends on how warm & sunny the day is with the day trippers. if youre getting up there after lunch you should be Ok

Edited by proterra

i agree with proterra, the 64 can be a pain on a nice day particularly a weekend, bit of a lottery really, just come that way within the last hour and it was virtually empty.

you could always come off on the m62 and head for howden, beverley, bridlington as thats a reasonable run.

ex-alutech :angry: owner - now rehabilitated and happy :)

i agree with proterra, the 64 can be a pain on a nice day particularly a weekend, bit of a lottery really, just come that way within the last hour and it was virtually empty.

you could always come off on the m62 and head for howden, beverley, bridlington as thats a reasonable run.

But again youre going to get the Brid day trippers and it can be a bit slow getting round Brid with the roundabouts to the Scarborough Road.

Personally, from the midlands/south I would always plump for A1 to Jnct 44 then A64 all the way to Scarborough. Yorks pretty busy traffic wise, but at least your on dual carriageways around it & Malton. No nasties I know of on this route.

As someone who does this often it would be my route too. .....

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Only done it once, but I went A64. It wasn't too bad for traffic.

2003 Volvo V70 2. 4 gas guzzler.
2011 Bailey Olympus 534.
Just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me!

• 2 weeks later...

We travelled from home (St Helens, Merseyside) on Whit Bank Holiday Monday this year to CCC site at Scarborough, towing the c'van. We used the M62, A64 route without any problems althought a bit slow around York. Returned by the same route about a week later, no holdups at all.

Tim

Kia Sorento Titan TDI (07) & Bailey Senator Arizona (06-5 Series)with Alko ATC, Powrtouch HD motor mover and Alko shocks

• 2 weeks later...

In the end I went I went A1 and A64 on Sunday afternoon of the 19th and had a straight run in.

Lots of traffic the opposite way heading for west towardsYork and A1.

Thanks for all the good advice.

It seemed the choice of time to travel paid off.