Sign in to follow this  
ENGLAND

Cracked Front Window Bailey Ranger

We bought our 1st caravan this Feb (2008 Bailey Ranger 510/4) after being away for 2 weeks put the van back into storage after thorough clean at home. 1 week later - Monday - I went to the van and the front window has a 6 inch vertical crack on the outside of the front window and directly behind it a 8 inch crack on the inner pane. Both cracks start at the top there is no external damage - chips etc and the crack start slap bang in the middle of the screen at the top, there is also no deformation of the top hinge - so nothing trapped underneath.

My supplier - are trying to tell me the cause could be due to the current temperature fluctuation that we have had over the past week? and caused the window to flex. This seems very strange to me but being completely new to caravaning I don't know if this possible.

Any help suggestion?

Yes the Ranger is the one with the large single front window - I am dreading the estimate

As jks says the blinds can cause heat problems . Was the window over tightened in some way during closing and locking not allowing it to move with the heat .

You might be lucky on Ebay or caravan breakers. If not you could be looking at £400-£600 .

Insurance claim ?

Dave

• Our 2005 Ranger front window did exactly the same when it was two years old.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesnt the Ranger have a big front woindow? Wind pressure on your way home might have caused it to start cracking and it slowly crept after youve got back.

Hi,

No the blinds were not down, when we came back I washed the van down and did not see any sign of cracking, and why would the inner panel crack as well as the front one if it were "air pressure", as to over tightening - no being new to caravaning we are very careful when closing up.

Like this? Sprite Alpine 4 crack outside and inside. Ok when we set off, found it when setting up at a rally.

IMG_2309.jpg?t=1333993572

Happend at Easter, caravan six years old. I thought it was road debris hiting the window. Insurance claim, cost fitted inc. vat £911. 99, window alone £655. 00 I paid the £100. 00 excess.

You now have me thinking, in storage my blinds are always up, but the van faces south and gets all the sun.

Guest jks

You now have me thinking, in storage my blinds are always up, but the van faces south and gets all the sun.

There is a notice on our caravan windows that says something like 'Do not close blinds completely when the sun is out.'

Reason being that the heat builds up and has nowhere to go.

Often wonder why people travel with all their blinds closed. Asking for trouble!

Like this? Sprite Alpine 4 crack outside and inside. Ok when we set off, found it when setting up at a rally.

IMG_2309.jpg?t=1333993572

Happend at Easter, caravan six years old. I thought it was road debris hiting the window. Insurance claim, cost fitted inc. vat £911. 99, window alone £655. 00 I paid the £100. 00 excess.

Exactly the same place as our Bailey Ranger 2005, I was told initially it was a insurance job (impact) put I pointed out the crack originally started from the inside of the window. They are stress cracks, if you open the window and lift it, feel how heavy the window is, this floats along with the front panel when towing and "hey presto" a crack.

Our blind are never closed in storage and if it was heat build up (not that we have had a lot) other windows would crack. Incidentally after the window was change a few years later we had damp in the top lockers. The complete front panel floats and cracked. Do your window catches ever rise or move when towing ?

G40

Gaz40

Yes, the window catches do rise when on the move.

Gaz40

Yes, the window catches do rise when on the move.

Hello Czech Connection

Its most likely a stress crack then :(

I would personally never buy another full front window caravan again.

Best of luck with your repair.

G40

Edited by Gaz40

Had a similar problem on my Ranger 460/2. Insurance company would not pay out. They said that it was a known manufacturing default and was not therefore covered by insurance.

All the best in sorting it.