Sign in to follow this  
michael r

Helmets Or No?.

Have been listening to the reports on national news of the poor unfortunate on a bicycle who was killed yesterday by an "Olympic bus". This has seemingly generated a hot debate as to whether it should be made compulsory in law, for cyclists to wear a safety helmet.

It would seem that heads of "cycling associations" are against it being compulsory, although they think it advisable to wear one(??). Why should it not be law?, motorcyclists have to wear one, and let's not forget that all vehicle drivers have to wear a seat belt .

Let's be honest, a cyclist is nearly always at considerable risk when on the road, that poor guy might possibly still be with us, if a helmet had been worn.

It is my personal view, for what it's worth, that there should be some form of "road registration" for cyclists, with an annual road tax, albeit nominal, with a registration number "for life" and furthermore, third party insurance, because if one of them collides with your vehicle causing damage, who pays ? muggins !.(and it does happen !).

Any thoughts anywhere ?.

Cheers

Mike R.

Do you value your life or not?

It is not if you have an accident on your bike these days it is when.

More motorists drown in cars than in canoes. Should drivers wear lifejackets?

It is all very well saying they should be taxed and insured but we can't even get all car drivers to do that.

No chance with bikes.

There was a survey done by one of the cycling organisations a few years ago. They discovered that there was a higher percentage of cyclists had an accident that wore helmets than those that didn't.

There was a survey done by one of the cycling organisations a few years ago. They discovered that there was a higher percentage of cyclists had an accident that wore helmets than those that didn't.

Thats not the point! What was the percentage of those who had serious head & neck injuries wearing hats against not wearing them.

Round here they ride on the pavements and not on the roads.

And Insurance ? anyone on a bike can cause injury even more so on a pavement .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Mike, I will wait for the results of an inquest rather than speculating on whether wearing a helmet would have saved this persons life. My thoughts are with the family left to grieve.

Legislation regarding registration, insurance, wearing of seatbelts and not using a mobile phone by motorists, doesn't always work. I'm sorry, but your ideas for a kid, bloke or woman on a bike won't work either.

John.

Tax ?, Insurance ? for a push-bike ? Say it loud enough and I'm sure our elected oppressors will dive at that one. Dont you think there's enough of that going on elsewhere. I haven't been near a push-bike in donkeys, but when my kids were young we often went out as a family for a leisurely cycle. We might not have bothered if it was all legislated in this way.

Helmets exist, cyclists can wear them if they want, does it need to be forced. ?

but when my kids were young we often went out as a family for a leisurely cycle. We might not have bothered if it was all legislated in this way.

Helmets exist, cyclists can wear them if they want, does it need to be forced. ?

This is exactly the argument put forward on the lunch-time news. Health officials (and others) want us to get more active and cycling is a good way of doing this with your family. They are afarid that it the activity becomes legislated then people will not bother.

By the way, we do cycle and we do wear helmets! Responsible people will equip themselves (and their children) properly. Whether it's the right thing to do or not is another matter.

Although I do wear a helmet it has to be realised that they will protect your head from very little.

Having looked after people that have had very serious brain trauma from simple accidents I think they are worth wearing for that possibility only ( e. g a low speed impact with a kerb ).

A serious collision or accident then forget it,you are going to get hurt.

As for licensing etc,car drivers are licenced,taxed etc. and it doesn't appear to improve driving a great deal.

We have been out cycling today and the number of cars that pass at tremendous speeds is very sad indeed.

Foot down and b***er everyone else seems to be the attitude of a many "drivers".

Ian

Apparently drivers supposedly pay less attention to Cyclists wearing a helmet than ones that don't :blink: ! Radio Scotland had a phone in this morning on this debate. Before I became a Country Squire I used to cycle to work. Round trip being 42 miles. Absolutely loved it. Wasn't so much dodgy drivers but stupid pedestrians I had issues with and was shot at with a air gun one day. To be honest I think you would be daft not to wear a helmet these days. A few of the Troops that cycle to work have a camera on there helmet for "just in case " . ...............

GAS. ............. :angry:

Tax ?, Insurance ? for a push-bike ? Say it loud enough and I'm sure our elected oppressors will dive at that one.

As much as anything, my thinking on this point was brought on by an incident concerning my brother -in-law earlier this year. He was stationary in heavy city traffic in his car, (vehicle 3 months old!) , when a guy on a mountain bike, weaving his way through the vehicles, slightly lost his balance right alongside the B. I. L. and neatly put a nice score mark along the side of the car with the handlebars or brake lever. Did not bother to stop, regained balance and disappeared into the traffic and gone.

Who pays ?????!!, guess what, the brother-in-law!!. (Apparently the idiot WAS wearing a helmet!,) but how do you identify the culprit in this kind of situation ??. I'd like to know !. If there was some identifying number it would be easier,

I have also heard of instances of pedestrians being injured by cyclists who have failed to stop

Cheers

Mike R.

Edited by michael r

I understand your reasoning Mike, but just cant see it helping anyone other than the insurance industry.

Why stop at helmets - why not inflatable body armour as per horse riders ?

why pick on cyclists when trike riders dont have to wear one, or have to wear a seat belt a seat belt

I cycle daily. When I pop to the local shop to get a paper, no helmet, as I ride very slowly. But when I go on long rides always a helmet.

But, what about gloves! I always wear gloves when cycling, as when you may fall off what is the first bit to hit the ground!

We cycle, and we wear helmets, for better or worse! I doubt they afford as much protection as a motorcycle helmet does, but I have always impressed on my six year old son the need to wear the right equipment for whatever he is doing (ie walking boots and not crocs for walking, cycle helmet and hi vis for cycling, hi vis for walking on roads without pavements, etc). I have to lead by example which isn't a problem except that I hate wearing a cycle helmet!

If anything, I think it's high visibility clothing that should be compulsory for cyclists and when walking on roads/lanes with no pavements. The number of cyclists I see on the road with posh-looking racing bikes and daft looking helmets wearing dark coloured Lycra, as well as runners/joggers who are not wearing light/bright clothing makes me surprised that there aren't more casualties.

It is sensible to wear a helmet. My son was cycling home from work when his wheel got caught in a pot hole, the wheel buckled and jammed into the front break callipers. He went over his handlebars. He was wearing his helmet. just as well as the helmet was cracked where it hit the kerb. My daughter has also seen the results of accidents as she works in intensive care.

Jen

If I go out for a long road session on the road bike, helmet every time. Off road on the MTB helmet every time. Steady ride on the MTB no helmet.

Did you hear the recount from the cyclist following the poor guy who ended up under the bus that was turning. The following cyclist decided to hold back and not squeeze up the inside of the bus - he survived. From the details a helmet would have made little difference when you are squished under a bus.

I still believe helmets are a sensible idea but certainly shouldn't be made law to wear one.

Dress for the accident not the journey, I always wear a helmet had to in competition so it became a natural thing to do when training.

Hi, Don't do a lot of cycling nowadays, I think we have to much legislation in this country already, but i do think there ought to be a compromise, i do think children say up to the age of 16 should have to wear a helmet, after that age you take responsibility yourself, presumably if you were made to wear a helmet from the age of say 4 by the time you got to sixteen you feel uncomfortable without it ?

I am totally against compulsory helmets.

Will helmets stop cyclist riding on pavements, or jumping red lights, or riding three abreast or weaving in and out of traffic or riding the wrong way down a one way street? We almost hit two kids doing this and undoubtedly if they had collided with the truck it would have been our fault!

Nothing against cyclists in general, just those morons that give other cyclists a bad name! :angry:

I read somewhere recently that 50% or so of car occupant fatalities are caused by head injuries.

Time for compulsory helmets for car drivers surely.

Ian

Cycle helmets are only designed to protect you if your head comes into contact with the ground not to protect you from impact from a vehicle - you would need a m/cycle helmet for that purpose.

I wear a helmet, short or long rides but didn't use them for the other 45 years of cycling.

Cyclist's shouldn't use headphones either - your hearing tells you what is coming from where you cannot see them-behind.

Quoting poor cycling activities and suggesting insurance etc is, I think, a non starter. I see so many motorists on their mobile phones while driving when all they have to do is buy a simple piece of kit to clip to their sun visor.

How many motorists jump red lights - the only difference is that the motorist drives a lethal weapon capable of killing.

There are lots of people riding bikes who break the rules - but there are also many motorists who also break the rules.

If your vehicle has been damaged by an inattentive cyclists then spare a thought for the cyclist who is damaged by an inattentive driver, my experience on this front involves a motorist turning off a major road onto a minor road cutting across my path, I hit the car broadside parted company from my bike flew over the top of the car hitting the kerb with the back of my head. My head was stitched up free of charge (to me) by the NHS but my front wheel was very flat on one side, the front forks were bent right back and the top and down tube were no longer straight at the head. The quite expensive bike was a write off. The driver did stop - his comment was - "I didn't think you were going so fast!!! He didn't pay a penny. This was in the times when cycle helmets were not available.

Sign in to follow this