Sign in to follow this  
3angels

Just Brought My First Caravan But Need Your Help Guys

Hello all happy to be apart of your community, I have brought a caravan for my family wife and son, as flying out has become a very expensive endeavour now. I may need to change my car but hopeing I can settle with what I have to tour it for now, please can some one advice me as I can't seem to make sense of the resource that I have found out. Can I tow with my car, it's a fiat brava 100 sx 1. 6 petrol 5 door I brought a Abi award Tristar 1993 4/5 berth . Now I wanted to know if take a very very small amount of items with me can I go by the unladen weight as I will not be filling the caravan up as its our first trip. Would it be best to change the car altogether or keeping until I can upgrades while using it to tour. The unladen weight is 951 and the laden is 1165 please help

Looking elsewhere on this site your vans spec seem to be

ABI Ace Airstream 1995

Show as metric

Year - 1995

• 2 berth
  • Single axle
  • Mass in Running Order (Kg) - 789
  • Mass in Running Order (Cwt) - 15. 5
  • Maximum Allowable/Authorised Weight (Kg) - 1000
  • Maximum Allowable/Authorised Weight (Cwt) - 19. 7
  • Internal Length (metres) - 4. 04
  • Internal Length (ft in) - 13' 3"
  • Shipping Length (metres) - 5. 58
  • Shipping Length (ft in) - 18' 4"
  • Width (metres) - 2. 19
  • Width (ft in) - 7' 2"
  • Awning Size (cm) - 794
  • Awning Size (in) - 312. 6"
  • Layout - EK

I just tried putting your outfit into whattowcar, but there was not enough info on the car or van, they werent in the drop downs.

Just had a look on the CC matching service & if Ive got the right models its a No

Match report

Download report AdobeReaderSmaller.gif

The Club advises that a Fiat Brava 100 16V SX (1998) should not tow an ABI Award Tristar (1993)

• cross.png3 Kerbweight ratio: 119%
  • The caravan's laden weight is more than the car's kerb weight. There is significant risk of stability problems, especially at higher speed. The Police may consider this combination unroadworthy, and it is illegal for drivers with a standard car licence issued since 1st January 1997.
  • cross.png3 Towing limit ratio: 118%
  • The caravan's laden weight is over the car's towing limit, which the Police may consider unroadworthy and which may invalidate the car’s insurance. It is not usually practical to lightly load the caravan to mitigate this issue.
  • warning.png2 Gross train weight ratio: Unknown
  • We do not have a gross train weight figure for this car. There is significant risk of the car’s GTW being exceeded if both car and caravan are heavily laden, as some car makers define GTW as less than the sum of the car and the caravan’s fully laden weights, particularly for cars with more than 5 seats. To avoid exceeding this legal limit, we advise you to check the car’s GTW suitability by referring to the car retailer or maker (or the weight plate on the car, if available).
  • tick.png1 Nose weight ratio: 130%
  • The car's nose weight should be fine to safely tow this caravan. If this figure is high, however, (typically over 100%) care will be needed to load the caravan so that the car’s nose weight limit is not exceeded, but this should be practically achievable. Aim for 5-7% of the caravan’s actual laden weight without overloading the car.
  • warning.png2 BHP per ton : 39
  • The car's engine power is quite low to tow this caravan. It may be sluggish and uncomfortable on hills or at junctions.

B+E Licence required

Please check the maximum combined weight of the car and caravan (car gross vehicle weight + caravan MTPLM). If this exceeds 3500kg, then you need to have a category B+E driving licence. If you obtained your standard car driving licence before 1st January 1997, you already have this – if not you will need to take a B+E test to legally drive this outfit.

Glossary of terms

Fiat Brava 100 16V SX (1998)

Make Fiat Range 100 16V SX Model Brava Year 1998 Fuel type Petrol Transmission type Manual Body type Hatchback Kerb weight 1090. 00kg Towing limit 1100. 00kg Gross vehicle weight Unknown Gross train weight Unknown Nose weight 70. 00kg BHP 103 RPM for maximum BHP 5750. 00 Maximum torque 144. 00 RPM for maximum torque 4000. 00

More info

Overall height 1413. 00mm Overall width 1741. 00mm Overall length 4187. 00mm Engine size 1. 60 Driven wheels Front Number of doors 5 Number of speeds 5 Self levelling suspension No Stability control Not Available Trailer stability prog. - Transmission description Manual CO2 Emission standards met E2 Trailer braked % incl. Unknown Trailer unbraked % incl. Unknown

ABI Award Tristar (1993)

Make ABI Range Award Model Tristar Year 1993 Type Caravan Berths 4 Number of axles 1 MTPLM 1300kg MIRO 983kg User payload 317kg Hitch limit 0 Shipping length 6. 19m Overall width 2. 16m Overall height 2. 60m

You need to check the VIN plate (usually found inside the door pillars) for the weights of the vehicle . But going on the figures quoted of 1000 kg towing limit and a caravan weighing 1300 kgs you will be over the vehicles Maximum train weight (comdined car + caravan weight ) .

Towing over the Maximum train weight is illegal . Sounds like you need a bigger car or lighter caravan .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

You all are very kind thank you very much, any cars in mind then knowing that I need to upgrade?

Landrover Discovery, you can get a used one for around £1,500 to £2,500 they will pull you anywhere, but it depends on how much you want to spend

You all are very kind thank you very much, any cars in mind then knowing that I need to upgrade?

Depends what you want to spend!

Ford Focus or Mondeo, Volvo V50 or V70 etc. Loads of cars will tow your caravan with ease AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A B+E licence (ie. passed your test after 1997). If you only have a B licence then a car can be found but you'll need to check specs carefully.

Landrover Discovery, you can get a used one for around £1,500 to £2,500 they will pull you anywhere, but it depends on how much you want to spend

I think that's overkill for a 1200Kg caravan, unless the OP wants a 4x4 for other reasons.

the petrol side would be the big problem look at a tucsson a lot off car for not a lot off money and very reliable

MONDEO SPECS

Generally about 1550 min kerbweight and max 2200 GVW with towing capacity from 1600 to 2000

I believe you have a caravan with a MPTLM of 1300 ?

That combination would be legal for B licence towing

I think that also works out to around 85% on the CC towing advice

VW or Audi or a bit of both with a Skoda badge. ;)

Octavia 2. 0TDi 4x4, K/Weight 1,495kg, towing limit 1,600kg, you would be at 87% ratio, and with some extra traction for those rally fields.

I would recommend the Mondeo because it will allow you to upgrade the caravan at some point if you wish providing that you do not exceed the kerbweight of the car if you have a B licence. A 2008- Mondeo has a kerbweight of about 1590kgs but can tow up to 1800kgs.

I would recommend the Mondeo because it will allow you to upgrade the caravan at some point if you wish providing that you do not exceed the kerbweight of the car if you have a B licence. A 2008- Mondeo has a kerbweight of about 1590kgs but can tow up to 1800kgs.

I recommend with Surf01 a Mondeo has a good pedigree and is cheap to buy and run . 4x4 is a bit of a over kill to buy and fuel .

It will also comply with a B licence .

Dave

It's a 2001 fiat brava, but as you said its to small

Depends what you want to spend!

Ford Focus or Mondeo, Volvo V50 or V70 etc. Loads of cars will tow your caravan with ease AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A B+E licence (ie. passed your test after 1997). If you only have a B licence then a car can be found but you'll need to check specs carefully.

I think that's overkill for a 1200Kg caravan, unless the OP wants a 4x4 for other reasons.

I dont think so, better to have two much than just enough and can also up grade to any van they want without having to change car again.

I dont think the Dicovery is an overkill, better to have two much than just enough also they can upgrade to what ever van they want with out a change of car.

Sorry posted this twice .

Edited by Transtar 1

Careful that disco will not put you in B+E requirement.

A mondeo, passat, Octavia, or even a golf sized car will be fine

just make sure the max tow weight is over 1165kg, more the better.

James

Careful that disco will not put you in B+E requirement.

A mondeo, passat, Octavia, or even a golf sized car will be fine

just make sure the max tow weight is over 1165kg, more the better.

James

If you only have a B licence you will need to have a tow car over 1300 kgs Unladen weight and it must not have a Maximum Gross vehicle weight over 2200kgs . You must not exceed 3500kgs outfit weight . If you passed your test before 97 this should not be a problem .

Dave

Try an audi A4 estate allroad. Loads of car for not much money & they'll tow just about anything. good family car for not much money & the 4 wheels drive is good for the winter too & towing off those wey grassy pitches.

Grand Cherokee diesels are cheaper than allroads. They're not to bad on fuel either.

Grand Cherokee diesels are cheaper than allroads. They're not to bad on fuel either.

If I was going for a Jeep, it would without doubt be the "Overland"

A diesel, of about 2002 vintage.

Excellent value for money, very plush, lots of cow, and very capable tow cars.

Gra.

As said there are lots of cars you can use, if you want something that is not going to cost a fortune in fuel when not towing look at a diesel Mondeo or a Passat estate, or perhaps a diesel Ford Galaxy/SEAT Alhambra/VW Sharan (all the same cars in their diesel form, just different badges.

What kind of budget were you looking at, the assumptions some people seem to make is that money is no issue when often it is.