Sign in to follow this  
sprite

Change Of Caravan? - But To What?

Just having a few thoughts about changing our caravan as the current layout is getting a bit cramped for our growing kids. ..one is 15 and one is 10 and the top bunk at the back is getting a bit cramped for even the 10 year old.

We were thinking that two rear single fixed beds may be the best layout but we just don't know which brand to go for. ..it would be new as we would be trading in our 4 year old Abbey but we don't want to down spec and have loved the Abbey so unless I can find one that wows me at the right price I'll stick with the Abbey as it's lovely and we've had it from new and looked after it.

We were thinking of Lunar or Elddis but have no experience of the build quality of these brands.

Any comments are welcome.

Edited by sprite

Theres a new Coachman with rear singles coming out soon I beleive might fit the bill. We think they are better screwed together than some.

I see you are in Holmfirth, probably worth a trip to the show in Cottingham, hull early september then you can comapre side by side.

Ah, yes, that was what I wanted to ask. ...is September the best time for deals on 2012 models?

Guest jks

Just having a few thoughts about changing our caravan as the current layout is getting a bit cramped for our growing kids. ..one is 15 and one is 10 and the top bunk at the back is getting a bit cramped for even the 10 year old.

We were thinking that two rear single fixed beds may be the best layout but we just don't know which brand to go for. ..it would be new as we would be trading in our 4 year old Abbey but we don't want to down spec and have loved the Abbey so unless I can find one that wows me at the right price I'll stick with the Abbey as it's lovely and we've had it from new and looked after it.

We were thinking of Lunar or Elddis but have no experience of the build quality of these brands.

Any comments are welcome.

Our experience is that your 15 year old is coming to the end of going caravanning with M&D. I would keep that in mind when considering a new layout.

We have a 2010 Lunar Lexon SB with fixed single beds and the build quality seems good, after 2 1/2 years the only problem has been with the onboard battery charger which failed after 15 months and was replaced under warranty

Guest Rita

Have you considered tents for the children

Our experience is that your 15 year old is coming to the end of going caravanning with M&D. I would keep that in mind when considering a new layout.

Yes, we are at that stage but the 10 year old is still keen and often brings a pal when the 15 year old has better things to do!

Rear bunks in the adria alteas are 2'5" wide and plenty long enough for my 6'1" ish frame. Top bunk has 75kg limit tho. (middle bunk maybe the same on the dt model) Well screwed together, no hoovering up of manufacturing mess required, dent resisitant construction great for the kids. Lightweight and great pricing, and some good offers about as the 2013 models are coming in.

The Adora range has a twin rear single layout these are the range up from the alteas.

We cannot fault ours at all, and would be hard pushed to go back to a uk made van (of similar prices) at least until the manufacturers sort there games out.

better build quality and space adria no ?

Adria are a very good build quality! Dethleffs very good, and they do supply a twin single fix - both brands winterised which means you will be cooler in summer, warmer on winter get aways.

Lunar not what they used to be, same as many to be fair! Elddis good for a budget van - last well and built well, pre 07 better as with all the manufacturers.

I like the look of the new Eldis Crusader range, Im sure they do the layout your looking for?

You could try the 6 berth twin dinette type van - e. g Coachman 655/6.

My brother has an Abbey which he bought when his kids got taller - think it was the Abbey Vogue 650 with the twin dinette layout.

There are 2 bunks on either wall which can be left made up and you still have somewhere for the kids to sit etc.

Ah, yes, that was what I wanted to ask. ...is September the best time for deals on 2012 models?

I got a great deal a month ago on a 2012 van, If you are looking for a specific layout or have a model in mind look now as they wont be making any more 2012 ones.

Thanks for the replies. ..I'll be looking at Lunar, Elddis and Swift offerings I think as they suit my budget and I want to keep it to a single axle as there will be many times when it's just two of us as the youngest often goes to see her cousins and my eldest lives with her mum so we do get the chance of a cheeky few days away at times.

This is the 3rd vote for adrias on this post, dont discount them just yet, they are nice well built vans, all the best in your search, Stu.

Thanks, I will have a look as Lowdham's near me also have an Adria franchise.

Hi Sprite

Just been through a similar exercise as yourself albeit our kids are adults now!

We really liked the flexibility of a twin lounge layout and went for a Lunar Lexon TL (2010 dealer demonstrator).

Gives us two 6' singles in rear and two 6' 2" singles in front. No climbing over each other by having to make up as a double! You also get two foldout bunks for smaller kids in the rear.

If it's just the two of us we leave the rear set up as bedroom and use front lounge. If three or four up kids use one end and us the other.

I know it's a twin axle and you're after a single but our tug is a Hyundai Santa Fe (2. 2l) and it copes admirably so your Terracan should be way more than enough.

As you say budget is the critical driver but just wanted to through in my tuppence worth.

Cheers and enjoy the search. :)

Thanks, Gellyneck, all suggestions gratefully received. The Terracan is certainly a very capable towcar. ..it's more fuel economy I'm thinking of really also it seems a bit daft having a huge caravan when it's not really needed but you never know!

I like the swift range and will always try and find a model from last year as the savings are pretty good even though the van has never been used. I got a challenger 480sr 2011 model at the end of last year and saved 4000 pounds. Still got the 5 yaer warranty and the van is really good . Nice quality build and seems better than the Lunar I replaced it with.

Well after trawling the local dealers we have been unable to find a caravan we can get excited about. The new stock at this time of year is limited as they are just trying to 'get rid' of the 2012 stock in readiness for the 2013 ranges and yes, there are bargains to be had if you can find the layout you want in the brand you want but even then I just can't find an equal spec caravan to the one I have for a reasonable price.

The salesman told us that most manufacturers have done away with some features to save money - extractor fans, microwaves - check as not all standard, window blinds seem to be concertina type which appear less durable than the silver backed type in our exisitng van, we have mains lighting with a dimmer switch. ..can't find in any of the vans I have viewed.

So all in all we are going to put up with our layout and enjoy the comforts of our luxury appointed 2008 Abbey Freestyle 560 because for our budget, we just can't match it with the current offerings! Even the dealer accepted that you are getting less for your money than 4 years ago and while any new caravan is nice and shiny etc, some of the 2012 stock are now ex demonstrators which I don't really fancy as they show a bit of wear from all the people trailing through them for however long they have been on site.

I await with interest to see whether the 2013 models will appear equally as austere but regardless it seems that a 2 - 3% increase on RRP will accompany next years models.

Thanks for the replies. ..I'll be looking at Lunar, Elddis and Swift offerings I think as they suit my budget and I want to keep it to a single axle as there will be many times when it's just two of us as the youngest often goes to see her cousins and my eldest lives with her mum so we do get the chance of a cheeky few days away at times.

I think these three models are doing very well at the moment. My sisters mobile service man says they have few problems.

She has a coachman and her problems are huge.

She has a coachman and her problems are huge.

How odd, this brand is beyond my budget for new models!

I think Elddis Shamel do the twin bed, they look good, or the buccaneer both are good vans

I have the Elddis Shamal the twin beds are very cumffy and the van is well put together!but its a bit short of space at the front end,great for just the two of us!