Cowboy Towbar Fitter

Emmo

Anyone who is complentating using a Lichfield firm 'National Towbars' who advertise a mobile nationwide service, DONT. They are complete and utter cowboys, and have recently been fined £3,700 for fitting a towbar to a customers car which was dangerous. The wiring was lethal, and likely to have sparked and set the car alight at any moment. I used this company and similar experiences were evident when I got their work checked out - my towbar electrics had to be completely re-wired.

If anyone has already had work done by this company, get it checked by a competant reputable firm as soon as possible. I am interested to hear from other members who may have used this firm.

Anyone who is complentating using a Lichfield firm 'National Towbars' who advertise a mobile nationwide service, DONT. They are complete and utter cowboys, and have recently been fined £3,700 for fitting a towbar to a customers car which was dangerous. The wiring was lethal, and likely to have sparked and set the car alight at any moment. I used this company and similar experiences were evident when I got their work checked out - my towbar electrics had to be completely re-wired.

If anyone has already had work done by this company, get it checked by a competant reputable firm as soon as possible. I am interested to hear from other members who may have used this firm.

46863[/snapback]

The Press Release about this from Dudley Trading Standards can be seen here http://online. dudley. gov. uk/news/fullrelease. asp?recid=1977

It would appear the guy trades under different names in the Lichfield/Tamworth/East Midlands area using different phone numbers and adverts in the same Yellow Pages.

Having talked to two towbar manufacturers, it seems highly likely we had a vehicle in 3 or 4 years ago fitted by the same outfit. We had Derbyshire Trading Standards in who took photos of the installation. There were critical parts of the towbar mountings missing, resulting in the cars transverse rear box section collapsing after just one tow, and the electrics were just bared back and wound round existing wires in the cars loom. No connectors at all were used.

Question. ....... How do you avoid people like this. .........

Answer. ......... Only use a company which is QSA accredited by the NTTA.

Its a bit like Corgi and gas fitters. ...............

Regards