Kia Sorrento 2.5 Crd

Road Runner

Thinking maybe of a change and this one is on my list.

XE/XS what the 4 wheel drive difference?

Is the XS worth the extra cash?

Are you happy with your?

Load area? is it a useful size for a LARGE

MPG?

Would you buy again?

Comments please

Roadrunner

We recently bought a manual XE - thought about an XS but decided we really didn't need all the extras. Only thing missing on the XE which would have been nice is cruise but since we have yet to do any long journeys don't know if it really matters.

The XE is permanent rear wheel drive with manually selectable 4WD and I think the XS is auto-switchable but I find it does not need 4WD for normal everyday use.

Are we happy with it? Definitely. It drives easily and tows well (although only short journeys so far to dealer to take old van and collect new one). MPG so far is 33-36 BUT my daily comute is a very steady 70 mile round trip and I don't reckon I could get much more if I tried. Towing remains to be seen but I don't worry too much since it is a fairly small amount of the annual mileage.

Load area is plenty big enough for us and yes, we probably would get another one (assuming no major probs in the future)

Regards

Chris

Roadrunner, we have xs auto. Bought it August 2003. Superb car and brilliant tow car. We originally were looking for a manual but after trying auto loved the ease of driving. The new auto is tiptronic. I would definitely reccomend cruise control. The four wheel drive is like Chris says. I enquired about swapping for a new model and was told by the dealer that the xs auto was the sought after 2nd hand model. I think the extra cash for the xs is worth it. Never had a problem with size of boot. Only drawback we have found is mpg solo. I do 15,000+ miles solo. If I drive at 65mph getting approx. 30mpg. Go up to 75 and it drops to 26mpg. Towing at a steady 60mph we get approx. 25mpg. I think the new model gives slightly better mpg. and a bit more power. I would definitely buy another. Hope this helps Tom.

Yes all these replies are helping because I am looking to keep it 5 years (be the first time ever but my health and caring for my father has slowed the income up a lot)

The auto is a discussion point as my arthritis is getting worse.

I have discounted the Hyundai Santa Fe as not being Man enough.

One more issue I have been offered a massive discount by a dealer 50 miles away but are worried what level of service I would then received from my local dealer. With the van no problem as you tow it there but for car servicing issues I would need a loan car at service times so is buying the discounted one a good option?

Roadrunner, you should have know problem with this. We bought our car at a local dealer but were unhappy with the first service. We now go to another dealer 20 mile away and they can't do enough for us. They even valeted the car free of charge last time it was in. Tom.

John

Have you tried playing off the distant dealer against the local one? It worked for me when I was changing my car - as soon as I told my local dealer I was prepared to travel for a discount, he came down quite a bit.

The other thing is - why is a main dealer 50 miles away offering so much less?

The other thing is - why is a main dealer 50 miles away offering so much less?

No idea but bang up to date model not imported and even suggested I wait till march for the 05 reg.

KIA SORENTO 2. 5 CRDi XE & XS AUTOMATIC & MANUAL DIESEL Brand New, UK Supplied. All Models Available, 2005 . Immediate Delivery, Choice of Colours. Latest Specification includes Alloy wheels, front fog lights, audio system with CD and 8 speakers, Leather Upholstery, Electric Glass Sunroof, electric arial, Climate Control/air conditioning, electric windows, electric folding mirrors, ABS with EBD, Privacy Glass, alarm/immobiliser, remote central locking, 3 year Kia warranty. Other Kia available at up to 16% off list

With the auto box someone (only one person say's) it dithers between gears at 60 mph with a van in tow. Is this right?

I have only seen good reports so far so very keen.

Roadrunner

As far as servicing is concerned my own view is that its unlikely to make any difference where you buy the car. If you book a vehicle in for a service they never ask "did you buy it from us?"

I imported by Alhambra but have the servicing done at my local dealer who drops me off at my office (after I've driven the car to them), then collects me in the evening to pick the car up!

There are good and bad dealers but as I've said I dont think the fact that you did or didnt buy the vehicle from them should change anything.

Regards

David, Callum and Connor (NRF)

John, with regards to the auto-box dithering at 60mph. I never have a problem on level or slight inclines. On my car there is an overdrive button. If I am on a hill and the revs start to drop below 2000 I can drop out of overdrive and the auto-box will stay in that gear until I re-select overdrive. Don't know how the steptronic box works . Hope this makes sense. Tom.

The firm I can buy it from is a lease hire firm who also arrange discounted sales on new vehicles.

I suppose if you lease a vehicle it has to be fully serviced so what the difference if it's order direct through Kia and supplied to me by a main agent.

I will push my main agent for his BEST price and take it from there.

Fancy the Auto and if its only going to affect the consuption by a mile or two a gallon it will be my choice.

Thank for ALL your advice so far :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
Well it's ordered for delivery in March in the form of an XE Automatic :D

How I hate the waiting part :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

8574[/snapback]

OK so March has been and gone :lol: Now tell us what you think :rolleyes:

I had a test drive a couple of days back and am seriously interested in the XS 2. 5CRDi Auto so any reports - good and bad - will help me to make up my mind AND above all to convince Karin (my wife (now aren't I old fashioned - wife not partner)) that this is the car we need as she loves our Peugeot 406 2. 2HDi Estate.