Table Repair

Desperado

Does anyone know of a Formica supplier in the West Midlands where I could get a match for the Formica covering my Dinette table on my Bailey Senator Arizona 2000?

I have got a hole in it and I am proposing gluing a new piece of Formica over the old surface.

I have spoken to Baileys about this and they quoted me an astronomical amount for a replacement.

Hence the need for a repair.

Desperado

Funny this subject should crop up as I've just started a job involving using these sort of materials. Firstly Formica is a trade name for a particular make of laminate so it maybe that your table isn't actually covered in Formica, rather a plastic laminate of another make. There are hundreds if not thousands of different colours, from a huge range of individual laminates. Did Bailey tell you which laminate it actually is? A problem you may find is that laminates usually come in 10x4 sheets costing anything from £20 a sheet to hundreds depending on the quality and it may be tricky to find an outlet that will supply you a piece with no wastage. As for gluing the laminate onto the top, beware because the type of DIY glues available (contact adhesives in tin or spray form) tend to be a bit hit and miss and it may be difficult to finish off the edges nicely.

I don't know how much Bailey quoted but I reckon if it is £100 plus, that wouldnt be dear as they would probally supply a complete new top.

The best thing is to look in yellow pages under laminating or similar, go see them and see it they will knock you up a top (in MDF) with an offcut of laminate that they have knocking about, for cash. The work involved, if they have the set up, is not huge to produce these things. At work, I could make a complete new table top blank laminated top and edge in under an hour.

Good luck. ....................

Does anyone know of a Formica supplier in the West Midlands where I could get a match for the Formica covering my Dinette table on my Bailey Senator Arizona 2000?

I have got a hole in it and I am proposing gluing a new piece of Formica over the old surface.

I have spoken to Baileys about this and they quoted me an astronomical amount for a replacement.

Hence the need for a repair.

Desperado

4342[/snapback]

I replaced a table in my previous caravan - it was very expensive - have you tried caravan breakers ?? You may be able to get one from there ??

Margaret

Margaret

I don't do technical !!!

Just me and my showdogs!!

• 4 weeks later...

Last year in our Bailey 550/6 Ranger a tin of corned beef fell out of the cupboard and made a nasty gash in the table. I too enquired about a new table top and was aghast at the price.

In gash was about 3cm x1cm and quite deep. I filled it with some wood filler in about 3 layers, letting each dry and finally smoothed top with a cloth (not glass paper) and then rubbed over the whole thing with natural bees was to give it a sealed finish. Seems to have worked a treat and matches the light brown shade of the wood.

Might be easier than over laying a new sheet of laminate?

I have just managed to pick up a virtually new second hand caravan table from our local dealer. He has a second hand corner where he sells all sorts of bits and pieces that have come in with vans that have been px'd. He also had a table top with no legs there so it might be worth checking at your local dealer to see if they have similar. I always have a look there when I go to the dealer as you never know what you'll find!

Jog