Sign in to follow this  
gumdrop

Walking In The Rain, What Gear

I have had my back done I have a new hip (hooray)

I have several cotton proofed coats that I wear to

watch wildlife in all weathers but they are hot and heavy

if you have to walk far.

I need to be able to walk without getting a sweat bath

from the waterproofs I wear, I am on a tight budget so

this rules out any exotic (Paramo?) garments and similar.

Any sensible suggestions on what to wear for the occasional

long walk with the odd steep section. Being able to dry any kit,

boots etc. is a problem in any caravan.

Edited by gumdrop

From experience, if it's good enough to keep the water out you will sweat on the inside. I'm a Berghaus fan but each to their own.

Keep a lookout on eBay, there's often new 'upmarket' gear for a fraction of the price (bankrupt stock?). Amazon and GoOutdoors are good for offers, keep an eye on their sites and you might get a bargain.

As with anything getting the right gear does not come cheap unfortunately. What you need is " breathable" gear a coat and perhaps a breathable T shirt as well to wick the condensation away from your body.

They really do make a differance to keeping you cooler and not sweating . Have a look on ebay I picked upa £100 Rohan jackets for £30 looked like it had never been worn. Also places like Matalan sell golf shirts which are often breathable. Regatta stuff is not a bad price andf often reduced

Quick drying trousers are all I wear in all winds and weather on bottom half

T shirt And fleece And either a light weight jacket or Cape for when it rains

if it's good enough to keep the water out you will sweat on the inside

:goodpost:

I have had my back done I have a new hip (hooray)

I have several cotton proofed coats that I wear to

watch wildlife in all weathers but they are hot and heavy

if you have to walk far.

I need to be able to walk without getting a sweat bath

from the waterproofs I wear, I am on a tight budget so

this rules out any exotic (Paramo?) garments and similar.

Any sensible suggestions on what to wear for the occasional

long walk with the odd steep section. Being able to dry any kit,

boots etc. is a problem in any caravan.

Hi Gumdrop. Have you considered lightweight Golfing Gear?. I had a pair of "Over Trousers" & a lightweight jacket for years before I was forced into giving up the game prior to some serious knee damage (not related).

Playing golf in the rain on a warm day can be a very moisture generating activity & I was not at all troubled by being uncomfortable or feeling like I had had an accident!!.

Edited by TheTravellingRooster

I still visit the local Army Surplus and see Gortex kit at very good prices.

I would suggest a set of gaiters as aswell as a good Gortex jacket (water proof, wind proof and breathable) , and a set of Berghaus deluge trousers. My coat is a Marmot Gortex coat, and after a wet walk I just shake it out side, the water runs off not a lot of drying, the Berghaus trousers are the same, the gaiters will stop the water running into the laces of your boots from the trousers.

My Coat TKmax £75. 00, Berghaus Trousers £19. 99 online, gaiters £12. 99 Yeomans .

The money spent on the coat was money well spent, Its now 3 year old and we do walk all seasons.

Connie

Edited by Connie

When i was employed I used to buy Ventile shirt and trousers

very good stuff but £150each too expensive now.

I have a CragHopper Aquadry System Jacket but it runs with

water inside, I have also tried ex-army Gortex but despite the

very helpful staff there is no guarantee the Gortex will function,

(which probably why the army got rid :D ) I have a british dp

jacket and a german para smock but the wife won't be seen

dead with me if I wear them! but they do work well.

The golf clothing sounds good, I once had golf over trousers

that had velcroed seams so they could be taked on and off easily

I have never found another pair. :(

I'm Mrs Cheap-and-Cheerful, plus I have two sets of waterproofs because sometimes I'm out in the rain too much and can't get the first lot dry before it's time to go out again.

If you have a branch of Mountain Warehouse near you, they are my current purveyor of choice. Good quality gear for the price, lots of special offers on.

Remember "Man at C&C", well, I think I am "Mum at Mountain Warehouse"!!!!!! On a good day, I'll be wearing walking boots, zip offs, waterproof trousers, an jacket and a back pack from them!!!!

Gumdrop, you may even find a replacement for your waterproof trousers in there. In the past they have had waterproof trousers that open up to above the knee.

Thank you, Alison, I would love another pair of QD overtrousers

Best waterproof trousers I've ever had! Double layer Goretex and a double zip for most of the length. Easy to get on/off over walking boots and the double zip means you can open the zip from the top for ventilation during dry spells.

I've been out in the hills in poor weather for up to ten hours without any sign of water ingress. For me, a discounted branded pair is far better than a 'cheap' pair.

http://www. amazon. co. uk/dp/B007IQY0SM/ref=asc_df_B007IQY0SM8784708/?tag=googlecouk06-21&creative=22134&creativeASIN=B007IQY0SM&linkCode=asn

I've been out in the hills in poor weather for up to ten hours without any sign of water ingress. For me, a discounted branded pair is far better than a 'cheap' pair.

http://www. amazon. co. ..SM&linkCode=asn

In many of cases, the "cheap" things are re-branded versions of the branded ones, ie made on the same Chinese production lines with the same materials but maybe in different colours with a different label on.

Doesn't only apply to clothes - for example, a lot of Aldi's camping equipment is made by Sunncamp if you read the small print on the box!

if i need waterproof and breathable clothing i have a look at horse riding gear that is usually good for walking in jack murphy coats are lightweight and breathable and a good price got one in a sale for £15 pound and dont go anywhere without it

if you frequent any country shows there is always a good selection of all manner of clothing for outdoor pursuits and not expensive. i get things like joules t shirts for a fiver coats for twenty pounds etc all good but being sold at a discount because of next years stock coming in

There is some very interesting info coming in,

I hope other people will benefit from your tips as well

Rohan have a half price sale at present.

I use Gortex;but even using this you need to wear just enough underneath to keep you cool and not sweat. So its about putting-on and taking off layers. I have re-proofed my jacket and trousers today,and again if you have Gortex you still need to do this. I usually just wear a T shirt underneath my waterproof and It seems to work. My friend who is still in the Army wont wear waterproof trousers, never has. He says he waits for his trousers to dry whilst wearing them. Hes been doing it a long time. Its what works for you so long as your warm;even when wet through.

I'd say anything Goretex. Oh, as many layers of it as possible. My Mountain Equipment jacket has 3 layers. It's a lightweight pro shell jacket.

It proved it worth last weekend while on a walk, my mates with their so called waterproofs were soaked through. I was bone dry. I have never paid full price for any outdoor gear.

I shop mostly online. Cotswolds Outdoor have shops and online shopping where there's lots of bargains. Spend the money properly the first time. Job done ;)

Goretex is too expensive, In the old days the garments were vented,

with a caped mesh under the arms and across the shoulders.

Technology is expensive and does not seem to last long between

reproofings or selling the garment quick on ebay :D

Edited by gumdrop

Hi Gumdrop

All I wear is a pair of shorts, gaters, good pr of boots, tee shirt & a Craghopper jacket, in most weather its all you need, but now & then a light fleeze over tee shirt, none of this takes much to dry & keeps you warm.

I'm a Gortex fan and normally purchase in sales, (sometimes before requirement and saved) but although I carry waterproof trowsers, I very rarely use them. ..perhaps in winter in driving rain or snow to prevent hypothermia. Sometimes, when folk complain about the effectiveness of breathable clothing, I ask them to consider doing the same amount of excercise (or exertion) with, say, a single layer cotton jacket or shirt on (Fully breathable ). If you sweat in this then you will in a waterproof coat of any quality. Underclothing which wicks sweat away can influence personal comfort just as much as breathability. Many years ago (in army) my personal choice was 'Damart insulating' underclothing (modern wicking materials are even better) with semi-permiable top coats. Modern wicking undergarments can improve the effectiveness of cheaper breatable outer garments. (Bit like top quality underlay making cheap carpets feel classy).

I think that a lot of my problem is a lack of real fitness,

since I was forced to give up work three years ago.

Two major operations later it is not really surprising I

get in a lather. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction

Sign in to follow this