Sat Nav Info Req'd

Inspector Bob

Does anyone have any experience using this Mitac Mio 168 PDA for navigation. I have recently been shown one using Tom Tom Nav something software and it seems more convenient than the bulkier Tom Tom and has the advantage of also having various other programmes to play with.

1. Is the volume ok for driving.

2. Can you get 3D, I think so but would like it confirmed.

3. Is the Tom Tom software and Navigation "X" the same as used on Tom Toms and its use on PDA's fully functional. Again the one I saw seems to have all the bells and whistles but having only a 10 minute play doesn't confirm its full capacity.

Please no responses about what you have if its not the specific make requested. I can then make my decision on which to but following any useful info received.

Cheers in advance.

Bob

I have had the Navman for a year which is a "badged" Mio. Runs their SmartST V2 software in 3D and is a very flexible option. I see no reason why the Tom Tom should not work even better, especially if it is a later release.

I find having it on a PDA with Windows Mobile means that you can use the hardware for a lot of additional facilities and makes more economic sense. However, I believe that it is not so "user friendly" as a stand alone system.

Good luck, whatever your choice.

Roger

I've had a Mio168 for about a year and I think it's great.

TomTom Navigator is the name of the software for PDAs (which is what the Mio168 is) - TomTom Go is the self-contained unit which looks like a tiny TV set.

TomTom Navigator 5 (TTNv5) is the current version anf, whilst some 'experts' say it is a backward step from TTNv3, I like it. The volume is loud enough (although if you're like me you'll turn it off - I just glance at the display whilst approaching junctions) and yes, you can get the 3D view.

The only problem with the Mio168 (and clones) is the lack of Bluetooth support, so you can't get TomTom Traffic (etc) easily.

Check out www. pocketgps. co. uk for all you'll ever need to know about GPS systems.

However, I believe that it is not so "user friendly" as a stand alone system.

46290[/snapback]

The only complicated bits are setting it up, and when you stray beyond the satnav.

With TomTom, you just get an icon on the screen - when you select it, TomTom looks the same as on any other platform. With the correct mounting kit, it can be landscape mode too.

Thanks for all the replies and useful comments. I will now attempt to convince she who must be obeyed that its a must have and she can sleep more instead of map reading ( she's actually quite good at that I may add ). Maybe put it on my Christmas list.

Thanks again

Bob

Thanks for all the replies and useful comments. I will now attempt to convince she who must be obeyed that its a must have and she can sleep more instead of map reading ( she's actually quite good at that I may add ). Maybe put it on my Christmas list.

Thanks again

Bob

46679[/snapback]

"Quite good at that"........sleeping or map reading?!!!!

Mlamont