How Many Of You Winter Caravan ?

cb1701

This year were going to try caravanning all year round, this will be the first time weve really tried it, last visit got down to minus five and we was ok, weve made slight alterations like a lagging jacket for the aquaroll, insulating the pump hose, purchased a low wattage oil radiator to leave on low heat all night and upgraded the bedding a bit so were warmer in bed so i think we should have most things covered, but i was just interested how many of you winterize your van till next spring or keep on going all year round, i suppose we could turn this into a poll if we wanted ? :)

Hi

We've had a brand new Bailey Provence this year and so we should really give wintering a go. ..... past experience was with a Lunar Arianne which had a broken heater and so we never went outside of the summer season. Mmmm may be we will give it a try next year or start the season earlier than usual. This year the 'van will be parked on our drive with the occasional hook-up to the house and heaters on to keep it warm and just sit in it - as well as using it for storage over Christmas and the all important fridge for keeping things chilled! Add a pot of salt each end of the van and spray with Fenwicks over winter spray and that will be it for us.

Emma

Always use mine as a cheaper alternative to hotels for the trip back home at Christmas, this year we are staying at a CL in Cheshire - but that's about it for us until Spring!

Fiat Rimor Europeo 69P Motorhome

We have been away at least once a month since we got the van last Novemeber. Just come back from 3 days last weekend in Cirencester with snow on the ground.

Probable not get away in December due to other commitments, but back off somewhere in January.

Regards

Trevor

We keep going all year and try not to let the caravan stand for more than 3 months without use. We have extra thick sleeping bags for winter. :) We find that the electric warm air heating is not as efficient as gas, which we use if it is really cold. Does anyone else find this or is it something peculiar to our particular caravan (Lunar 475 EK)?

Pauline

We're off to Lincoln Christmas Market this weekend. Getting hotel accommodation is very difficult (not to mention expensive) so the CL just outside Newark, at £6 per night, is perfect.

It's always warm in the van anyway and as my mum used to say, "There's no such thing as cold weather, just inappropriate clothing!"

hi all we use the van all year round never had a real problem with heaters on good warm bedding for them that needed it porch awnin heated make a good place to change in/out of outdoor cloths its not much more diffrent than being at home except ur away no phones ringing callers (real peace) :D

Hello. ..

Im only considering caravanning at the moment so please excuse me if this question sounds a bit 'basic' but. ...

When staying at a site and hooking up to the sites electricity, does the fee for electric include unlimited use? If so, is it possible to run a halogen (or similar) heater all night to keep the van warm? Or is electric charged by consumption/units?

Cheers

Dave

The price for electric is for whatever you want, need.

Its limited as to how much you use at once a kettle, electric fire and a toaster, could trip it off, a halogen heater all night would be no problem

Its swings and roundabouts, some folk need a lot some don't.

much like dog walks, showers toilets etc. you are paying for them, some folk use them, some not.

Just enjoy your holidays :)

Someone will explain better hopefully :)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

We try and get away every other weekend all the way through the year. Had snow last weekend like a lot of others but 'van was lovely and warm and didnt need to use gas only when we arrived and needed to warm the 'van up quickly.

Off next weekend to a CL near WSM and just after Christmas to a CL near Oxford for the New Year.

We have our caravan to use twice a month for two or three days for kart racing events from late January till early December, so have no choice but to do it in the winter. These circuits don't provide electric hookup so we have to use a generator for the TV/video games/computers, and gas for the heating. Up to now, we've kept the heating on from Saturday morning till Sunday evening for five straight weekends and have only used half a 6kg Propane cylinder, and that includes all the cooking that we do. We will be going to York in February at an official site, but I'm not afraid to use the gas to keep us warm.

We caravan all year and will be away for New Year for the 2nd year running. We haven't had a prblem and have been as warm as toast.

Our biggest problem is getting to storage before dark and home before dark as the gates are locked at dusk!

We keep going all year and try not to let the caravan stand for more than 3 months without use.   We have extra thick sleeping bags for winter.   :)  We find that the electric warm air heating is not as efficient as gas, which we use if it is really cold.   Does anyone else find this or is it something peculiar to our particular caravan (Lunar 475 EK)?

Pauline

46274[/snapback]

We have the same van, and find once it's warm, the elec heating is ok, but tend to use a small fan heater to get things warmed through. We never like to run the heater full on, as it uses so many amps, I keep forgetting to turn it down before I switch something else on! Also, I like to use a good blast from the fan heater to warm up the washroom for me first thing in the morning. (I'm a softie!) :rolleyes:

Use mine as a hotel all year, leave the heating on all winter and it stays at around 20-23 degs, seldom have to use gas. Last weekend at -5 unprotected (in fact I've never wrapped it) aquaroll didn't freeze but the pump bit did. I wouldn't use a halogen heater unless you want to sleep in near daylight they can be a bit bright. The only problem I've had with freezing was last year and the cold water pipe to the kitchen sink which was running along a north facing wall froze although the hot pipe didn't - so I think the best advice I would give is to watch where you position the van, try and shelter it from the northerly winds and don't pitch it where some idiot who thinks that its fun to drive around the site in the snow at speed can slide off the road and hit it.

Phil

If I remember the Electric heater in vans is 2000W and the Gas heater gives an equivalent of 3000W, they can be used combined in my van for a really fast heat-up.

. ..but i was just interested how many of you. ..keep on going all year round. ..

46259[/snapback]

We do. How can you justify the expense of a caravan just to park on the drive for 50 weeks a year?

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

We do. How can you justify the expense of a caravan just to park on the drive for 50 weeks a year?

Gordon.

46508[/snapback]

I'm not sure, i just know some people who don't live to far from me and the van never seems to move off their drive, its not a wreck its quite a bit younger van then mine, but they just seem to use it a couple times a year something like easter and a week or so in the summer hols, we try to use ours once a month if we can :)

We tend to leave the c,van in the compound in December, due to the number of family birthdays, and preporations for Christmas, but then its roll on January and another 11 months of our favourate pastime ahead of us.

• 5 weeks later...

We bought our first ever caravan last year and went to Spain for 3 months of the winter :) absolutely brilliant and the climate so much better than here. We are off again next week for 3 months. ...Spain and then Portugal. ...back April :)

Archived