Sign in to follow this  
madasmad

Dyson Handheld Vacuum

Hi, does anyone use a handheld Dyson to keep their van clean? If so how good are they?

Thanks

Hi, we have had one for about 2 years, we chose the one with the driven brush as we have 2 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

It does a very good job on both the carpets and the bits of upholstery not covered with throws, and copes very well with the dog hair.

Not got one myself, but my brother has and it was great until the battery died - a repalcement is over half the cost of a new cleaner so he's a bit miffed

We have a dyson we take with us every time very good apart from battery life ( about 20 mins )

• Like 1

We have 2 Dysons, one of the large models which is left downstairs and a small (240v) ball steer model with the electric brush which is kept upstairs saves the lugging around of the larger one.

We take the small one away with the van - first class.

Would imagine that the battery versions are typical Dyson and live up to their claims.

We use one as we have a Labradour,

The Dyson is the best portable hoover we have ever used.

very good piece of kit but battery life isnt great

I have a pet beef (sorry for the pun) about the 'Animal' and 'Cat & Dog' versions of vacuum cleaners sold by Dyson and Miele etc.

You pay extra above the price of their standard models, usually for an extra turbo driven brush type thing or two.

Great, unless you happen to have a long haired pet, in which case the hair winds itself around the brush and in 5 minutes the machine is unusable and you have to go through the rigmarole of taking it apart and hacking off the fur and then starting all over again. Far better to use attachments with no moving parts that suck up the fur and don't clog. Which is what the standard non-Animal versions do for substantially less money.

I believe that the packaging should have a warning advising owners of long haired pets not to buy.

At one time we had 3 bearded collies in the house so I speak from bitter, disappointed experience.

Great but agree battery life isn't great, last long enough for a couple of cleans of the 'van though.

Hi

I have a DC34 Animal and love it. I bought it at Tesco for £169 but paid when Clubcard vouchers were worth double on vacuum cleaners, so "half price" effectively.

Russell

Wouldn't be without it? Think it's called the digital slim ,(that word doesn't exist otherwise in my house!)

Edited by milkymarsh

Guest Inner State

I've got the rechargeable 'animal' version and it's brilliant, best accessory I've ever bought. Dyson also do a very nice wall baracket for it and a 12v charger. Buy one, you really wont regret it.

J

Brilliant cleaner. Mine is a DC31 Animal. Same comments as others though, you don't get much cleaning out of a charged battery so you'll need to be on EHU or have a good inverter if you want more than two good cleans (my old 400w modified sine wave will not charge the dyson so next project is a pure sine wave inverter or the 12v charger).

I would strongly advise against ANY rechargeable or 12V vacuum cleaner - they're useless compared to a mains powered handheld.

We had a 12V Black and Decker and it took a good 30 minutes to do our van each time. On the last time we used it, it got so hot at the plug that it melted the plug!!

We bought a mains powered one from somewhere online for £34 and its amazing - takes 10 mins to do a much better job than the old one. In fact, its good enough to use at home, if necessary.

Ok, if you don't do EHU then you'll have to use a rechargeable but, honestly, try avoid it.

Guest Inner State

I would strongly advise against ANY rechargeable or 12V vacuum cleaner - they're useless compared to a mains powered handheld.

Then you haven't tried a Dyson

We had a 12V Black and Decker and it took a good 30 minutes to do our van each time. On the last time we used it, it got so hot at the plug that it melted the plug!!

Again, if you'd bought a good one this wouldn't have happened

We bought a mains powered one from somewhere online for £34 and its amazing - takes 10 mins to do a much better job than the old one. In fact, its good enough to use at home, if necessary.

Mains powered will always be cheaper but not as convenient.

Ok, if you don't do EHU then you'll have to use a rechargeable but, honestly, try avoid it.

The Dyson is lighter, more convenient, does a better job than many mains powered cleaner, is rechargeable but is relatively expensive when compared to cheap tack battery / low voltage so called cleaners. Many have said 20 minute run time is too short, I do wonder just how big or how dirty their caravans are. I can vac all of my Senator Wyoming in about 10 minutes and I do it pretty much daily when on site.

J

Edited by Inner State

We have the older hand held 12v model which is first class although the battery life is only 6 minutes and we recharge it using a 'Ring' power pack as we don't go on EHU's.

Bill

Bill

There is one problem that I have had with the Dyson DC34,recently purchased,is that it starts to cut out during use.

Restarts again if the trigger is squeezed.

Rang Dyson who seemed to know that it happened and asked me to wipe the battery contacts but replaced the battery under warranty anyway.

I think it is starting to do it again though.

Ian

Then you haven't tried a Dyson

Not quite true - we had an upright several years ago. Sadly, it only lasted 2 months past its warranty before dying on us, so rather put me off (check Which magazine - Dyson have a 'below-average' reliability rating). And it's 'revolutionary' technology never helped it clean any better than other vacuums we've had - it's gimmick was the lack of bag, which was why we bought it.

Many have said 20 minute run time is too short, I do wonder just how big or how dirty their caravans are. I can vac all of my Senator Wyoming in about 10 minutes and I do it pretty much daily when on site.

There's your answer - you vacuum daily. Lazy people like me do it once a week, by which time there's a fair amount to shift.

Like I said, if you have to have the convienience of being able to vacuum anywhere, I'm sure the Dyson is great, although I'd personally not spend £180 on one.

This is what I bought:

http://www. amazon. co. uk/Black-Decker-VH780-Volt-Vacuum/dp/B0002V9E90/ref=sr_1_3?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1342527366&sr=1-3

£38, 19 tools, 780W motor and it can blow as well as suck, for those paddling pool jobs. ...no brainer IMO. ..

Agree with Nelmo - we have Dysons in the house and no probs but the Dyson handheld is only used for light work in the car for a quick going over. Mains Dirt Devil in the 'van is really good and really noisy

Not quite true - we had an upright several years ago. Sadly, it only lasted 2 months past its warranty before dying on us, so rather put me off

Mine did the same, died just out of warrantly. So I called Dyson, they diagnosed the fault over the phone and I asked how much for a replacement part, to which they replied 'Oh, no charge, it'll be in the post for you tomorrow' and sure enough it arrived a day later.

Guest Inner State

Like I said, if you have to have the convienience of being able to vacuum anywhere, I'm sure the Dyson is great, although I'd personally not spend £180 on one.

No need to, £123. 79 on Amazon as we speak!

J

There is one problem that I have had with the Dyson DC34,recently purchased,is that it starts to cut out during use.

Restarts again if the trigger is squeezed.

Rang Dyson who seemed to know that it happened and asked me to wipe the battery contacts but replaced the battery under warranty anyway.

I think it is starting to do it again though.

Ian

Very interesting, mine started to do that yesterday, will have to monitor situation. Otherwise great piece of kit. Ours lives in a cupboard in the house for quick jobs and in the van when we go away, double use, always good. Just got to remember to pack.

We just call our dog Dyson as he seems to hoover (oh dear brand name) up everything I drop!

Very interesting, mine started to do that yesterday, will have to monitor situation. Otherwise great piece of kit. Ours lives in a cupboard in the house for quick jobs and in the van when we go away, double use, always good. Just got to remember to pack.

Since I originally posted the replacement battery also started to cut out,I am now on my third.

Ian

We've had our handheld for just over four years (for cleaning up after our son once he started walking and leaving a mess in his wake!) and I think it's fab. Now that we have the caravan, it's very useful to be able to nip down to where it's stored and have a quick whizz round before our next trip. Haven't taken it away with us as I consider it to be unecessary weight - the carpets are removable so I just give them a quick shake and a beat with the Swingball racket, and then I sweep the floor. I bring the carpets home to hoover properly, and after our next trip I'll bring all the rest of the "soft furnishings" home and hoover them too.

As for the six minute run time, as long as you switch it off when you change position, so to speak, six minutes solid vacuuming is actually quite a long time.