Powrtouch Roller Not Moving

Hi.

I purchased a second hand 4 wheel drive Powrtouch 2 months ago and had it professionally fitted by the dealer who originally supplied it to the previous owner.

It has worked fine a few times but today I find the one of the rollers wont rotate, even when disengaged. . All three other rollers rotate fine.

It cost a lot of money even second hand and is under 3 years old. I have emailed Powrtouch and the supplying dealer and hope to hear back from them soon.

I am hoping that Powrtouch will transfer the guarantee but unfortunately none of the serial numbers have been written down in the manual. The Manual is dated 2009 so I know it is all quite new.

Has anyone had a stuck roller? Is this normal?

Any suggestions on where to look first?

Thanks

Mike

Not sure what you mean by stuck roller.

You won't be able to rotate them by hand anyway.

I wonder if it's just a wire come loose. Have you checked all the connections to that motor.

poolebob

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry:

If it has 'stuck' is the motor running or not. I would check for a loose wire.

If the gears are in mesh it would let you know by the sound of the motor straining wouldn't it?

If a stone has got in the teeth that may cause a problem.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. Internet connected via 3 dongle Windows 7. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine.

LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,.Reich Move Control. Safefill Fitted. ,CT. Ninja (Hon) Flies the flag. Tyron Bands

Not Much Money but we do see life. Motto . Carpe Diem .

when I press the forward/reverse or any button on the remote all rollers move except one. I have put a volt meter on it and it is getting voltage. Although I did check + to the chassis ground so I will check tonight across + and - on the actual motor. Maybe the negative has detached from earth somewhere. I can't hear the motor turning or trying to turn at all.

The roller does not move at all when the button is pressed, not even a little bit. it is just like it is not getting any power. I would have expected a slight judder on the roller if it was the gear box.

I can move the roller by hand very slightly (just the backlash in the gearbox) so I don't think the roller has anything jammed in it. I guess the gearbox could have jammed or something has gone wrong with the motor.

The odd thing is that it moved fine when I got it home in June and I have just left it parked on the drive. There were no nasty noises coming from it when I last used it.

Thanks for your help

Mike

I have had an email back from Powrtouch. They wont honor the warranty as I didn't officially transfer it and pay the transfer fee before the fault developed (nice! - I expected as much) In my businesses we honor product warranties even if the product has been transferred. But if that is the way they do business then that's down to them I guess.

The good news is that they think it is a bad electrical connection on the motor so I will pop them off tonight, tighten them up, clean the contacts, bit of electrical grease and pop them back on. My feeling is that it will fix it.

Going by the comments I have read about the actuator motors keep burning out I think I will pay the £40 and get the guarantee transferred.

I will let you know if it gets fixed tonight.

Mike

Well, still not fixed. good voltage and connections across the motor but it wont run. So it looks like I am going to need a new motor. The unit is only 2 1/2 years old and has been sitting on the drive and just stopped working. The previous owner only used it about 6 times and I have only used it twice.

Powrtouch have refused to honor the warranty because I didn't officially transfer it when I had the unit fitted last month. It was supplied and fitted by a professional caravan company so I must say that I think it is a bit unfair to wriggle out of the warranty. Even if the "correct procedure" of transferring the warranty was not done they still could have honored it out of goodwill. After all, it has failed well within the warranty period and has not been "over" used or abused.

It is a shame that they have such an attitude as it lets down a reasonable product. I work for a large manufacturer and we always honor our 5 year warranty's without question, regardless of who owns the product.

OK, here is an update. Nice guy at Powrwheel is sending me some motor brushes and has said that their engineers often strip down and clean the motors. So I am now hoping that a clean and new brushes will get it going.

Does anyone know how to get the motor off. I am guessing I will have to drop the whole bar as I don't think I will get an hex key on the screws otherwise.

I still have issues transferring the warranty as they want the original owners name, address and date the unit was fitted. The dealer that fitted the unit ((and also fitted it for the first owner) will not divulge such confidential information and I don't blame them.

Quote " I still have issues transferring the warranty as they want the original owners name, address and date the unit was fitted. The dealer that fitted the unit ((and also fitted it for the first owner) will not divulge such confidential information and I don't blame them. "

Simple,tell the dealer to transfer the warranty for you.

He has your information, he has the original owner details, you pay him, he completes the paperwork for Powrtouch.

"They wont honor the warranty as I didn't officially transfer it"

I transfered my Powrtouch warranty to myself when we bought our caravan, it was just less than a year old and still had 4 years to run, cost me £40 and they put it back to 5 years.

Steve & Norma, Abbey Vogue 215 GTS, Mondeo 2lt TDCi

Hi Brecon, The dealer cant transfer the warranty apparently. This has to be done by the new owner so I am told and before any faults develop. When they fitted it they told me that it still had a few years of manufacturers warranty left on it. There was no mention of any form filling or paying a fee. I know I can probably take this up with the dealer but to be honest I cant be bothered with the hassle of an argument.

I have no problems paying £40 to have the warranty transferred, although I do think it is a bit cheeky. They have the serial numbers and if the unit fails within the 5 years "No Quibble" warranty period then in my view it should get sorted "Without Quibble". Even purchasers of used kit can become very good customers and advocates but such "wriggling" out of warranties causes a great deal of consumer dissatisfaction and customers are lost.

I bought a Mountfield mower and took it in for a service 10 years later. They spotted a broken adjuster and replaced it free of charge as it was clearly a weakness, no question of "have you filled in your form etc - now I am a loyal Mountfield owner.

At the moment I am having problems even transferring the warranty as it seems the previous owners didn't register it. So there is no record of the initial sale date. Even if I can get the information they want I still need to get the current fault repaired at my cost. However, luckily I think it just needs a motor strip down and clean which I will do when the rain stops. Thankfully one of the support guys at Powrtouch is being very helpful so it's thumbs up for their staff and thumbs down for their policies.

Quite frankly, it is their business and if they don't value complete customer satisfaction then it's down to them. Thankfully the manufacturer I work for always honor 5 year warranties without question and I feel good about that and we have great customer retention.

So, if anyone buys a used Powrtouch mover which is still within warranty make sure you get the original purchase information and check with Powrtouch that they will transfer the warranty. I read that these units go wrong quite a bit so I would discourage buying one if you can't secure the warranty.

Rant over - thanks for listening.

I wonder if this is a reflection of the recent changes at Powertouch who now share the same building as Truma

poolebob

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry:

Right, got there in the end. They found the serial number in their manual records and have agreed to start the 5 year warranty from the date they sold it to the dealer. So I have managed to get 2 years warranty at a charge of £40.

Still think a charge to transfer a warranty is outrageous but there you go.

I have nothing but praise for powrtouch,

I ordered a new roller for my mk 1 mover & as I started giving them my details she checked & told that me that it would be supplied free as I still had a few days left on the 5 year warranty, they sent me a pair within a couple of days :)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I bought a used powrtouch mover from the dealer I bought my used caravan from, about a year after

I had bought my caravan. The dealer did all the paperwork and got the guarantee, three years

remaining, transferred to me at no cost.

Freelander 2 stornoway grey - towing Crusader Hurricane

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

It sounds like my experience with them might be a one off. Now the warranty is in place I will undoubtedly get the service levels that you guys have experienced if needed.

Over the weekend a stripped down the motor and gearbox as it was not covered under the warranty due to the fault being present before transferring the warranty (as above)

The motor had a load of water in it. This particular motor is behind the rear wheel (I have a 4 wheel system). The last time I used the van it was raining heavily (shock, really?) and I think the heavy spray from the back wheel managed to get through the rubber boot and into the motor via the brushes. The brushes are just pushed through the motor body and locked into place with a plastic cap. They are not waterproof at all and if water can get into the boot it is likely to collect in the area of the brushes (where the wires plug on) and get forced through the brush holes onto the motor. I imagine it's a bit like a funnel. There is a slot in the boot where the wire pushes through just before the brush and I guess that if this is not in pristine condition it could let water get by. You can see in the attached photo that I have used black instant gasket silicone to block the holes.

After taking the motor to bits and rinsing it with loads of WD40 and drying it in the airing cupboard for half a day I reassembled and it worked fine. So I took it to bits again, cleaned the surfaces and sealed all joints and bolt retainers with instant gasket, sealed the brush entry points and refitted.

All working lovely.

So, in light of this I would recommend users to bung loads of grease over the wire entry points on the rubber boots to prevent any water ingress. Try the fill the brush entry points with grease if possible. Especially for motors which are behind the rear wheels.

Photo attached.

post-43806-0-40806200-1342428360_thumb.jpg

Edited by trenery

Just spoke to Powrwheel to order a new boot for the motor. They told me that they have had other people with the same problem over the past few weeks due to the heavy rain.

So grease up your boots or you might get a problem and you wont notice until it has been parked up for a while.

Edited by trenery
  • 8 years later...

My Powrtouch mover has gone wrong, very poor, I have only had it 15yrs.  A new set of brushes and it's back to normal.

2015 SorentoKX2 pulling a 2011 Sterling Eccles Moonstone