mike1001

Using Aires In France

Has anyone used the local aires in France with a car and caravan. The ones that are close to the local towns and villages. I thought they were only for motorhomes but some one at our site tells me that he has used them as overnight stops and its ok as long as you keep the caravan attached ????

Regards

Mike Kath and Alfie the cat

Do not use the aires between Bordeaux and Irun, I had 3 drivers gassed and the truck cab cleared out parking in them

• Confused 1

Hi

Most aires have a symbol that states "camping car" only - (motorhome).

I stayed at an aire in Italy and caravans we were welcomed. A photo is on the link below.

We all break the rules now and again, so my view would be, if it is quiet, and not many about, then "who cares"? I as a motorhomer would not give a toot. If the place is busy, and being respectful that caravanners have a car to nip to town in, then the aire is best left for motorhomers.

Please don't confuse "aires pour camping car" with "aires" on the motorway etc - two different things.

We have stayed at a few "aires pour camping car" and I have listed them here.

Also the Italian one, with pic allowing caravans, is here

Russell

Edited by Kontiki

Guest Ollies mum

Personally speaking on grounds of security alone I would never stop on one.

most of the aires i stopped on the way south had signed parking for caravans, only used to stop and streach legs and have tea, wouldnt over night in 1 as to many bad stories of been gased and robbed

I think you'll find it much nicer to stay in a municipal campsite. You CAN stay on an Aire if there is no bye-law (or sign) expressly forbidding it - but the motorhomers already there won't be happy! There often isn't a lot of room, with sometimes only about a metre between units, and manoevring with a car and caravan won't be easy - as you won't find many with room to stay attached, and yet still drive off in the direction you're facing!

Many towns and villages have municipal sites, these are often cheap, usually of a reasonable standard (some are excellent) and you'll have a much more comfortable time.

Guest jks

They are only meant for Camping Cars and not caravans. Also not very secure. We never used them when we had a motor home. Far rather be on a secure site.

most of the aires i stopped on the way south had signed parking for caravans, only used to stop and streach legs and have tea, wouldnt over night in 1 as to many bad stories of been gased and robbed

The Aire de Repos (laybys next to main roads and Autoroute's ) are fine for caravan's but the OP is talking about the Aire's which situated close to or in towns and villages which are for camping cars only .

Caravans are prohibited from these as there expressly for Motor Home's

I would advise that you use a local Municipal Site - much safer and cheap as chips usually

I think that aires on the motorway are being confused with "aires pour camping cars"

Aires pour camping cars often come with hook up, water, waste water and even showers.

Aires on the motorway may have a picnic table!

Russell

Hi

Most aires have a symbol that states "camping car" only - (motorhome).

I stayed at an aire in Italy and caravans we were welcomed. A photo is on the link below.

We all break the rules now and again, so my view would be, if it is quiet, and not many about, then "who cares"? I as a motorhomer would not give a toot. If the place is busy, and being respectful that caravanners have a car to nip to town in, then the aire is best left for motorhomers.

Please don't confuse "aires pour camping car" with "aires" on the motorway etc - two different things.

We have stayed at a few "aires pour camping car" and I have listed them here.

Also the Italian one, with pic allowing caravans, is here

Russell

Thanks. .Mike

I think you'll find it much nicer to stay in a municipal campsite. You CAN stay on an Aire if there is no bye-law (or sign) expressly forbidding it - but the motorhomers already there won't be happy! There often isn't a lot of room, with sometimes only about a metre between units, and manoevring with a car and caravan won't be easy - as you won't find many with room to stay attached, and yet still drive off in the direction you're facing!

Many towns and villages have municipal sites, these are often cheap, usually of a reasonable standard (some are excellent) and you'll have a much more comfortable time.

Thanks it will be my next task to look at your suggestion. ... mike

Do not use the aires between Bordeaux and Irun, I had 3 drivers gassed and the truck cab cleared out parking in them

Are you talking about motorway aires or the municipal night stops for motorhomes & campervans?

The aires for motorhomes & campervans are usually strictly monitored and in the majority the parking warden (for want of a better name) comes round and collects your nightly fee and actually checks that you meet the criteria (bit like the Caravan Club does) no mattresses in the back of panel vans but properly converted vehicles with their own cooking facilities and toilet. In the minority, they are pay & display and no-one comes to check who is there.

I've never heard of anyone successfully spending the night in one in a caravan, but until this year we were part of the camper van community, I only knew one family with a caravan!!!!!!

Interested to read lots of the horror stories and suggestions that other motorhomers would be mad.  We've stopped at too many aires across France, Italy, slovenia etc etc and shared with caravans (and people in sleeping in self-converted cars). Anyone who would ask a caravan to move on would get a sharp response from me (what kind of person on holiday would actually give a @&##!). Fair enough if your caravan has 30 axles 4 awnings and portable tennis court but if your breaking up a journey in an aire then "hi nice to meet you, and good luck". 

BTW that gassing story is as old as the hills. I once spoke to a Dr (in an aire) who said that's nonsense. 

Are the stories about gassings just a load of hot aire?

I'll get my coat!

• Haha 2

This is a 2012 thread and has been debated ad nauseum ....have had my own experiences in France and am not going down the explanation route again and again every year..............make your own mind up about personal safety, there are greater threats than 'gas'.

geoff

In response to the concerns in respect of “gassing” the Royal College of Anaesthetists has given their, highly professional view, on numerous occasions, and totally dismiss the idea!

I reckon they should know dont you?

The below link goes to it. Rather than go through it all here I suggest anyone interested views it for themselves. It is quite informative! 

https://www.rcoa.ac.uk/news-and-bulletin/rcoa-news-and-statements/statement-alleged-gassing-motor-vehicles

Andy

• Like 1

We stayed for one night on an Aire de Camping Car in the south of France. It was an emergency (long story, all came good in the end) I didn't unhitch or put the steadies down. As it happens I had the best nights sleep of the trip...

BH

Andy...that is why I am not going through all that stuff over and over again.

......and it appears that many don't know the difference between an Aire de repos and  Aires de service.

geoff

• Thanks 1

Prior to a caravan I ran various motorhomes for about ten years. We toured extensively in France and for a fairly large percentage of nights we stayed on “Camping car Aires” without any issues whatsoever, and we never came across anyone else who had. 

Every so often the British press run a story about motorhome occupants being gassed and robbed. Almost without fail these occupants have had stolen

1. Large quantities  of cash (who carries £1000’s worth these days, do you?) 

2. iPads (never cheaper tablets) 

3. Rolex watches (again never cheap Casio ones) 

4. Expensive jewellery (do YOU take expensive jewellery away on holiday?) 

5. Ferry tickets (useless without the correct vehicle registration and passenger passports) 

5. Expensive camera equipment etc etc. 

There was one about two years ago where a trucker (allegedly)  had his entire high value load stolen from his curtain sided artic trailer because he had been “Gassed” overnight. It would have taken several hours and involved the use of a fork lift truck and another artic trailer.

For my part I am more than happy that these stories are total baloney. I have read the RCOA’s explanation and my view is that they are the undoubted experts in the field. 

Andy

p.s. French Camping Car Aires are provided for the exclusive use of Camping Cars and caravans are not permitted.

5 minutes ago, shipbroker said:

Andy...that is why I am not going through all that stuff over and over again.

......and it appears that many don't know the difference between an Aire de repos and  Aires de service.

geoff

Thats why I posted the link! 

Its a subject that also came up regularly on MH forums!,

• Thanks 1

A friend of mine has just returned from 2 months in Spain (he's retired), on the way their he stayed overnight in a French Motorway Aire, his caravan was broken into whilst he and his wife were asleep, luckily for him they had their dog with them and it scared the would be thieves off but it left him with a broken door lock.

Just to put the icing on his holiday cake, his tyre failed on the way home, ripped his Mover off and the caravan is still sat in France waiting to be repaired (he reckons 3 to 4 Grands worth of damage).

42 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

A friend of mine has just returned from 2 months in Spain (he's retired), on the way their he stayed overnight in a French Motorway Aire, his caravan was broken into whilst he and his wife were asleep, luckily for him they had their dog with them and it scared the would be thieves off but it left him with a broken door lock.

Just to put the icing on his holiday cake, his tyre failed on the way home, ripped his Mover off and the caravan is still sat in France waiting to be repaired (he reckons 3 to 4 Grands worth of damage).

Two comments I would make on that scenario.

1. Motorway Aires de repos are well known as being unsafe places to stop (As opposed to proper  Camping Car Aires )

2. A TPMS set up would almost certainly have alerted him to a caravan tyre deflation  long before the tyre disintegrated and wrecked his mover for an outlay of about 10%  of his potential repair bill. 

Andy

32 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Two comments I would make on that scenario.

1. Motorway Aires de repos are well known as being unsafe places to stop (As opposed to proper  Camping Car Aires )

2. A TPMS set up would almost certainly have alerted him to a caravan tyre deflation  long before the tyre disintegrated and wrecked his mover for an outlay of about 10%  of his potential repair bill. 

Andy

I agree on both counts, he should have gone to one of the many Municipal Campsites that France has along the route south and after my experience with a blow out last year and subsequent purchase of a TyrePal set you're right, a much safer/cheaper option. 

On 11/07/2019 at 18:28, Blackhart said:

We stayed for one night on an Aire de Camping Car in the south of France. It was an emergency (long story, all came good in the end) I didn't unhitch or put the steadies down. As it happens I had the best nights sleep of the trip...

BH

...and here we are the next morning.

BH

P1070133 640.jpg