Sign in to follow this  
Red Mick

Storage Regulations

We've just moved our storage base, the previous one was subject to flooding!! Not happy lately.

On the small print of the new sites' paperwork, it states that "All gas cylinders must be removed whenever possible"

I wonder, is this a universal idea, does everyone obey???

cassoa sites seem to ply this role

High security sites make rules that also include safe practice.

A risk assesment would consider a fire in such a place devastating. It may be a rule to satisfy the sites insurers.

Ours doesn't, but where they do it may be because it is a condition of their liability insurance. I have come across this when storing in France which resulted in us changing to another site. A careless user could always leave gas leaking with obvious consequences. I can understand their reason for this but it is damn inconvenient and should you not comply and heaven forbid there was a leak from your van you would be liable for all damage and your insurer would not cover you because you breached the 'Terms and Conditions' of the storage site. Unlikely I know but Beware!

Chris

I think of more importance would be the dangers of a large number of bombs (gas cylinders) in one place in the event of a fire starting. This would be hugely dangerous to the fire fighters and surrounding property/residents.

Fire fighting policy would see the site being left to burn so destroying more caravans than if they were assured there were no gas cylinders

Having seen a propane cylinder that had turned inside out when it exploded in a fire it is scary

Edited by Ich

As long ago as 1990 when I was first involved in site storage the one stipulation by underwriters was that no gas cylinders could be left with the caravan. ..and that included me! Mine were stored in the site LPG Forklift cage.

geoff

cassoa sites seem to ply this role

Not necessarily true. Our storage site (CASSOA gold) requires all gas to be isolated which is fine.

Which is worse, a storage site with isolated gas cylinders on the caravans, or having to remove them and have vehicles travelling round with gas cylinders in the boot!!

Our CASSOA Gold site request bottles removed between October and March.

Which is worse, a storage site with isolated gas cylinders on the caravans, or having to remove them and have vehicles travelling round with gas cylinders in the boot!!

Both are equally dangerous. In the boot would require the usual warning label fixed on the car to warn the car is carrying GAS.

. ........ In the boot would require the usual warning label fixed on the car to warn the car is carrying GAS.

I think that is commercial vehicles only or vehicles being used for commercial purposes - i. e call out engineer carrying compressed gas.

I stand to be corrected though.

FT

I think that is commercial vehicles only or vehicles being used for commercial purposes - i. e call out engineer carrying compressed gas.

I stand to be corrected though.

FT

You could be right but it would be good manners to let the Fireman know there is a propane cylinder in the boot in case of a rear end shunt. :P

Not necessarily true. Our storage site (CASSOA gold) requires all gas to be isolated which is fine.

Same with ours.

Those of you that have to remove the gas cylinders each time you use your caravan, what do you do with them?

on our storage we have to remove cylinders, (most do) there are a few that haven't, before i got my van and put into storage there was a fire there a few years ago when the fuel strike was on the green godesses were being used, and quite a few vans got damaged, some are still there. at the moment i have them stored at home, god forbid if we ever have a fire.

If you have to remove your gas cylinders I would recommend putting them in a shed/garage away from any dwellings . In the event of a fire even a small gas cylinder explodes like a bomb so not to be kept in a cupboard in the house .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Which is the most suitable option for storage of Bike ?

We are on a CASSOA site and there is no requirement to remove the gas bottles. If you lived in a flat, where would you store them?