Wet & Wild Caravanning

ilovemycaravan

Can someone tell us what time of year it is? Perfect weather for ducks ;)

Do you let the rain dampen your caravan spirits or do you ignore it and still go out caravanning?

If you plough through the weather, what handy tips can you give to others in these wet times?

Let us know :)

Always have a contigiency plan for wet weather, to save being stuck in the van, and have good waterproofs

Rain is a feature of a lot of holidays in England, I go caravaning with five dogs so as you can imagine a bit of rain doesn't keep us in doors, we always take a stack of sheets and towels and ignore the weather, plus where we go in Cheddar there are nine pubs in easy walking distance so it will be a shame to stop in.

Tony.

Granted, you're not going to be sun bathing!! But a bit of rain never stopped us doing anything we've planned. Someone once said 'there's no such thing as bad weather, just bad preparation'.

I for one love a storm, sound of rain on the caravan roof is one of the best noises ever. Also, if we carry on getting 'summers' like this, maybe some of the more popular sites will have a bit more space for everyone to enjoy them. Since this recession started, every Tom, Dick and Harriet seem to have bought a caravan or tent, some sites are ridiculously full to the brim all year around! Its the over crowding that has often made me think of leaving the hobby. Heres to wet summers and empty camp sites.

Wet weather no issue at all, if anything the kids love it all the more! Just take more time over the journey when towing in windy weather.

might i suggest an umbrella. ....... :huh:

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

Its the British nature to complain about the weather, can you imagine being away in sunny weather and feel like you are in an oven, can't sleep for the heat, to warm to go for a walk and spending most of the day in a cold shower to cool down. Sure we could do with a bit less of the watery stuff but its all part of living. :D

Jimmy

Good waterproofs or pitch near a lake a go swimming, its great in the rain, swam and walked lots in the lakes last week.

I have a good waterproof storm porch made of PVC. It is 20 years old and cost £25. It has a high quality zipped door and sheds water like a ducks back. It will even handle snow because it has a well sloped roof to keep the snow from getting deep.

It is supposed to be a winter porch but having to use it now is a bit of a shock.

There is the advantage that it provides somewhere for boots and wet togs.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

I don't let the weather stop us. What I get fed up of is "you're going caravanning in this???" er. .yes I am, skin's watertight :D plus I also love listening to the rain battering down in the caravan or when i'm sitting in the awning.

Compass Shadow 1988

The only thing that got to me last time we caravanned in really wet weather were the slugs that sought shelter in our awning, our shoes, sleeves of our coats if they were hanging too close to the ground, shoes, dog bowls and beds :X

We booked our trips at the start of the year, at least three nights away but usually four or five, once a month from March to the end of September.

Sometimes, with work and family pressures, the only thing keeping us sane is the thought of our next trip, never more than five weeks away!

The 'new' van (new to us!) has enough space so me and wifey aren't squeezed if we stay in.

If it's wet, we have plenty of books already in the caravan, with plenty of fruit juice (the fermented sort). A HDD media player has a few dozen films loaded to play back in the evening if needed.

The waterproofs are already packed for walking woofie, he doesn't really care about the weather, just his walks.

Should there be an unidentified glowing object in the sky, we go out to greet it and replan, also got shorts and stuff packed ready for all eventualities, even summer appearing B)

if it's warm and raining water pistols are fun. ..

Sometime the children even join in! :D

We go whatever the weather (and pre-caravan that included Dartmoor in a Force 8/9 one November). Best advice is to get a long waterproof mac or poncho, and wear shorts and crocs!! As has already been said, skin is waterproof. For best (ie going into town or something), take two sets of waterproofs each - one on and one drying. Sounds like overkill but I really do not like being indoors and neither does the six year old and we value our change of waterproofs!

Advice from the other half would be make sure you've got a Radio Times, a TV/DVD player and enough DVDs to keep you company while your wife and son are out enjoying the weather.

Just got back from Peak District after a few days in van, we don't normally mind what the weather is like, been out in it all, we got snowed in on the site for a week in Feb,no problem, but! this week has got me beat, just gave in, packed up and drove home to more rain. From a very fed up Denise

being one of those people that hate too much heat and the sun (always sit in shade), i am quite happy for it too be cool and dont even mind some rain. Being a non driver and having to travel to my seasonal pitch by public transport i would be very happy just to get there without getting soaked. Then i can hibernate with my supplies that are bought on the way and totally chillax for a few days. absolute bliss. B) marion

The only thing that got to me last time we caravanned in really wet weather were the slugs that sought shelter in our awning, our shoes, sleeves of our coats if they were hanging too close to the ground, shoes, dog bowls and beds :X

Not our beds btw the dogs bed

Were on a seasonal so i guess its slightly different to touring. But i know 3 people with expensive units that havent been anywhere this year yet as they cancelled all planned outings due to the weather forecast. We have been in ours every weekend bar 3 since just before easter. The weather is part of it in our opinions. Even the kids find things to stay amused in the poorer weather.

We go whatever the weather, as long as the wind isn't too bad. We were in Scarborough a couple of weeks ago and it rained for 3 of the four days we were there. One of the day's, the rain showers were torrential and a poor Estonian couple in a Rapido pop top were flooded out. The rain must have somehow got in through the roof seals and soaked their interior. They managed the night in it but were gone the next day, and their van was abandoned in the car park. I doubt they will enjoy rainy breaks away in future.

With our summers tending to get wetter each year i wonder if it would be a good idea for more caravan parks to place hardstanding pitches instead of what is now very muddy ones in places. The rain you can put up with but having to slosh around in mud with the dogs just makes me gag!! I know that stones are nowhere near as attractive as grass but thick mud has to be what puts a lot of people of caravanning in the wet weather. Ellen.

I used to have a boat, don't know why I swapped it!. If you never went caravanning in the rain

you would never get out. Went to Hereford 3 weeks ago and ended up towing back through the

floods. Just make sure the water does not come over the the wheels and no problem. (I did leave

the rear steadies down on that occasion though!!) It was hammering it down and I forgot. them. Good

job I was parked on an incline, and they were already half way up. Just lost my plastic feet!

I think we have must have been extraordinarily lucky with the weather this year. Neither of us likes cycling in the rain but since the snow at the beginning of Feb (we were staying in Chatsworth for the weekend !) we have had long weekends in 4 different CL's plus a week in a CL in Suffolk and a week in a 'mini-camping' in Holland and I can only remember one day when it rained and stopped us from cycling (into Stamford) so we drove there instead and then walked round the town. Another day that stopped us cycling was last week in Holland when it was really hot and humid so we drove to a Dutch caravan dealer ! How sad is that !!! :)

The down side is the garden at home is a complete mess as it seems that the only dry weekends have been those when we've been away !!! ;)

Forgot to say that we book all our trips away at the beginning of the year so no chance of picking the good weather - just been very lucky !

Edited by Shirl250