Excess Sealant Around Door & Window Frames

Griff

Anyone noticed just how much excess sealant seems to have exuded from around the window frames etc on Bailey's after fitting? which I think looks right a mess :o .

Other manufacturers do not seem to have this problem at all, Swift for instance.

Maybe that they and others are using different more sealant friendly frame sections where the sealant is contained within the section.

Anyone tried to tidy theirs up at all and if so how?

Gonna look rubbish when it discolours with grime etc. :(

When I get my Van, thought about using an old credit card or something to scrape away the excess while it is still soft with maybe some white spirit to remove the smears etc? - big job though.

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare if the truth be known ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

Strange that, I have just bought a 9 month old senator and I was impressed with how little sealant was visible compared to my old 2001 challenger which was dreadful for over sealant (even on awning rails)

Very pleased with this Senator and glad I made the switch to Bailey :)

Yes I have a lot but wont touch it unless it gets discoloured. Don't want any man made leaks :rolleyes:

John (Road Runner)

My dog a Great Dane named Bruno

Winniebago Wakeechee ARV 34 ft Ford 460 V8 7500cc

Towcar 2010 Volvo V70 SE 2. 0D -Compass Rallye 460/2L GTE - Kawasaki VN800 Cruiser

Guest Hobbybod
Yes I have a lot but wont touch it unless it gets discoloured.   Don't want any man made leaks :rolleyes:

45965[/snapback]

Very wise, John!

Don't know what sealants Bailey etc. use, but be aware that, in summer months, sealant can expand. At cooler temperatures the extruded sealant will partly contract back to maintain the 'seal'.

If it's removed then there's nowt to contract back and you'll increase the chance of some leaks, as John surmised.

Hobbys and other German 'vans invariably show some extruded grey sticky sealant from the awning rails etc. I just clean it as best I can and leave it there.

Now which 'vans are more prone to leak??

If it's removed then there's nowt to contract back and you'll increase the chance of some leaks, as John surmised.

45968[/snapback]

Hmmm, take your point but surely the frames must be presumably sealed at the various points where the sealant does not protrude?

Looked at a few new Baileys yesterday and there did not seem to be any consistency in how it appeared to be applied.

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare if the truth be known ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

. ...and check where the front panel and rear panel meet the roof - on all those that I have seen the sealers seem to have had a hayday - it looks very untidy but hopefully will keep out the damp !!

I wonder if there are any particular manufacturers whose 'vans are more prone to dampness after, say a couple of years - if anyone knows the answer perhaps it could be posted.

2005 Kia Sorento 2. 5 Auto towing 2011 Conqueror 645

Have noticed the sealant myself - got some on the fingers when I grabbed the door frame while entering (lesson - don't grab doorframe). I have also noticed some on a cover that I used to protect the roof when parked near an Alder tree (awful thing that drops cones that leach brown terrible staining gunk onto the van :( ).

On the subject of the Alder - anyone got any comments about dealing with the stuff it drops? unfortunately it's on the neighbour's property & we've already pruned it vertically in line with the boundary! :D Otherwise the prune would have been horizontal! :D

JL

And now the carvanstore side panels have "smudged" into the sealant & smeared it over part of the exteror panel. B)

What should I use to clean it up? :huh:

Archived