Sign in to follow this  
Ich

Be Safe Out And Up There

I had this brought to my attention earlier

http://www. bbc. co. uk/news/uk-wales-18669936

not, obviously these guys were fools but it does emphasise the dangers on the mountains of the UK.

A read of these incident notes from Wasdale MRT would be a good idea. (and the advice section)

If you are visiting the upland areas of the country please make sure you are properly equipped and know what you are doing.

I see many families setting off for a walk on the hills with kids wearing trainers or wellies, similarly parents.

If you haven't got boots don't do it!

Yep, I always take the right gear.

Got extremely dense cloud cover on a summit one day and it was scary getting down, even with a map and compass! Invested in a gps after that.

Went up Snowdon a few years ago, some idiots were going up in flip flops. And yes they were walking up, not just got off the train.

Invested in a gps after that.

As with road use, never rely on gps, it will point you towards your destination and show you where you are, but on a mountain in fog if you have no map or compass and know how to use them you will not know if you are about to step off a cliff!

GPS is fine if you know how to use it. You would still need a map.

Gps with a OS map loaded would be better. I'd still take a map and compass though aswell.

As with road use, never rely on gps, it will point you towards your destination and show you where you are, but on a mountain in fog if you have no map or compass and know how to use them you will not know if you are about to step off a cliff!

i know i'm new here but i don't entirely agree with you on this one. ..i spend a lot of time up on the beacons and know quite a few of the local mountain rescue people. ...who incidently are equiped with GPS units. ..garmin etrex - not even expensive ones!!

they also use a mobile phone app!!!

http://www. viewranger. com/en-gb/other/search-and-rescue

people should not have them at the expense of map and compass but. ...how do you take a compass bearing in thick fog or low cloud cover with no visibility?

All Gps will give you a map grid reference you can then apply to your OS. ..bingo know exactly where you are.

also a lot of GPS now have map technology and will pinpoint you on a map and not just give you an arrow to a predetermined waymark. ..also will link upto about 32-36 satelites in the beacons so very reliable signal not to be confused with mobile phone gps reception. ..

but there is also a place for mobiles too. ...phoning for help when you can't find your whistle

john

The Garmin E-trex leaves a breadcrumb trail on the way out and will get you back over the same route.

Do carry extra batteries though. :rolleyes:

how do you take a compass bearing in thick fog or low cloud cover with no visibility?

A full mountain safety/leadership course will teach that, how do you think folk navigated before gps was in common use. It can be done but at very slow speed!

Yes there is no doubt that gps is a huge aid, but not on it's own!

I had this brought to my attention earlier http://www. bbc. co. uk. ..-wales-18669936 not, obviously these guys were fools but it does emphasise the dangers on the mountains of the UK. A read of these incident notes from Wasdale MRT would be a good idea. (and the advice section) If you are visiting the upland areas of the country please make sure you are properly equipped and know what you are doing. I see many families setting off for a walk on the hills with kids wearing trainers or wellies, similarly parents. If you haven't got boots don't do it!
I read about these Lunatics every year and acutely seen some of the Lunatics head for the hills when up in Invercoe, Glen Coe. I would Bill the individuals who have to be Rescued due to there incompetence and stupidity. Would put a Message out to these amateur hill walkers. They don't realise they are endangering the lives of Rescue Personnel in sometimes treacherous weather conditions.

GAS . .......... :angry:

Edited by Grumpy Auld Smeesh

Yep, always take a map and compass but, as has been pointed out, they're only useful if you know exactly where you are.

Been on a navigation course, know about timing and pacing but the etrex lets you know exactly where you are (normally within a couple of metres in my experience) so it's etrex + map + compass for me.

Yes, if you follow them blindly you could walk over a cliff but not if you use a bit of common sense.

I download gpx files of the walks before setting out and, on the one occasion I've had to turn back due to severe weather, I used the track back feature to retrace my steps back to the car.

Anybody with any hill walking experience knows that you can have a totally different climate on a summit and will go prepared unfortunately some 'amateurs' think hill walking is a 'walk in the park'.

I had a friend who was in a whiteout and he had to take compass shots every 20 yards to stay on course. He reached for his compass and it was gone. He stood still, thinking how it had disappeared seeing as it was on a lanyard. Feeling round his neck he found the cord. The compass has blown round behind him in the high wind. From that day he took 2 compass's. He was pre GPS.

Working near Sca Fell Pike, I was approached by 3 guys who wanted to know where the path up the mountain was, this was one cool autumn day with rain forecast.

2 were wearing shorts, the other jeans and between them they had a small daysac. I pointed out their equipment shortages (no map etc) and that it could be risky going up.

Their answer, a classic

We'll be OK we're mountain bikers!!

As an avid walker I would recommend a good O/S landranger map and a good compass (Silva). I have a GPS but only use it when in bad weather conditions to give me a location that I can then plot on a map. Take spare batteries. A whistle, enogh food and drink for longer than your proposed walk should you get into trouble. Good quality boots are must along with appropriate clothing. Up in the fells wether can change very quickly. A bivi shelter can be a good idea as they are light and get you out of the wind. Always leave your intended route with some one along with estimated time of return. Mobile phones dont always work in the hills. But charge your battery up anyway.

Take note of local weather forcasts, national ones are not accurate.

I watched a Rescue programme on TV this week where 3 walkers had got lost on top of a hill by low cloud obscuring their vision.

They had a phone but no maps or compass between them. A helicopter was called in by local police and this had to land because it was low on fuel and could not see the summit either. With 30 odd minutes to go before dark they where asked to walk towards the sound of the engines they had last heard.

They did have a whistle and this was heard by the heli-crew. It all ended without human loss but to rely on a mobile phone was really stupid.

The rescue was FREE. I wonder if a bill would wake some up. You get a bill if you call an ambulance.

There is I believe a change due soon to Search and Rescue services. An American firm Bristows have won a contract to take over from the UK chaps. This US firm has better equipment than ours apparently. (so good they had to get clearance from the US military.)

The Americans are coming -- heaven help us !

david

Sign in to follow this