Sign in to follow this  
Lefthand Down

The Great Myth Of Urban Britain.

From the article

What proportion of Britain do you reckon is built on? By that I mean covered by buildings, roads, car parks, railways, paths and so on - what people might call "concreted over". Go on - have a guess.

http://www. bbc. co. uk/news/uk-18623096

Seems to be a lot of space for Walking after all.

After just spending some time in London its nice get back to where I can see more green that houses from my house window, plus the Peak district on my doorstep.

each to his own. !

Not read the article, but I'd guess at something like 5%?

Edit: Read it now, seems I was under by 1. 6%. That's a lot of space left for cows.

Edited by Shirker

But if returning to the UK after a night flight the contrast with many other countries is stark don't you think!

And why do all these advertising wonks think it's so cool to use the term 'urban' all the time. Cars, housing, clothing, furniture etc all have the 'urban' epithet attached willy nilly.

And why do all these advertising wonks think it's so cool to use the term 'urban' all the time. Cars, housing, clothing, furniture etc all have the 'urban' epithet attached willy nilly.

Because it's all rather urbane?

As pointed out previously,it is very noticeable how little "unlit" landscape we have compared to most European countries (Holland being the exception) when flying at night.

That brings to mind a trip from the Channel Islands to Southampton a few years back when I remember looking out of the window and seeing the northern coast of the Isle of Wight perfectly outlined in streetlighting. Inland from a few hundred yards around the coast it was pitch black in comparison. The shape of Southampton Water was outlined as well with the blackness extending over the New Forest. Winchester shone like a beacon in a sea of black as we descended towards final approach

It may sound like a lot of room but when you look

at all the people that flock into the available countryside

for their R&R it comes across as very crowded, which

is probably why the tiny remnants of wildlife are under

pressure and we see more and more creatures turning up

in our gardens; Their last refuge.

Sign in to follow this