Car Mirrors

I am looking at buying my first mirrors but am confused as they range from £6 to £50. Anybody got any advise on the best mirrors fro a Passat and what should I look to pay?

Milenco mirrors are the best going, and fit really well, with very little vibration. You should get them for about £15 each.

Hi all

When I was starting out I was given a pair of Mirrors, I have used them and they are fine.

The thing is they are both different makes, but they are the same principal.

Big mirrors with two rubber straps that you tighten.

They were just the job, they are not expensive mirrors, I have seen the design I have for about £20/£25 a pair.

But I feel it really depends on the shape of the mirrors on the car, to how much you pay, and to how good they are.

Peter

I am looking at buying my first mirrors but am confused as they range from £6 to £50.   Anybody got any advise on the best mirrors fro a Passat and what should I look to pay?

4160[/snapback]

I wouldn't spend much on them. I put one on the driver's side to comply with the law, but I find the car mirrors are fine. I also have a Passat

All these Passats (me too). I have used the rubber strap type on the wing mirrors for years and find them fine, inexpensive and will work on most cars (Montego, Xantia and Passat to date).

Have not used the ones that clip to the wheel arch but would advise against the ones that clip to the door as found that they damaged the window rubber over a length of time.

Do use mirrors of some type as you cannot see past the van without this aid and this is illegal and dangerous. Also use both as, while the nearside one is not so vital, it is very useful when pulling in after overtaking and also when reversing.

Roger

I would go for the cheaper ones that are simple and quick to remove.

Very handy on ferries when you need to remove (or fold in) your mirrors quickly before some idiot from the car behind walks past and rips one off.

Pete.

I use mirrors made by Weekend. They have a bit that goes between the window and door frame and a rubber strap to under the door. Excellent mirrors that don't vibrate, I can see the whole height of the 'van and inexpensive.

The only problem I have found is they don't fit Series Landrovers.

Anyone know any mirrors that fit to a vertical mirror the same thats found on a Land Rover Defender? Most mirrors that clip onto the door mirror are horizontal based not vertical. Someone please help as I am going away in 4 weeks and need some by then. Yes I know a Land Rover is wide anyway but just to keep the cops happy!

I use mirrors made by Weekend. They have a bit that goes between the window and door frame and a rubber strap to under the door. Excellent mirrors that don't vibrate, I can see the whole height of the 'van and inexpensive.

The only problem I have found is they don't fit Series Landrovers.

Anyone know any mirrors that fit to a vertical mirror the same thats found on a Land Rover Defender? Most mirrors that clip onto the door mirror are horizontal based not vertical. Someone please help as I am going away in 4 weeks and need some by then. Yes I know a Land Rover is wide anyway but just to keep the cops happy!

4414[/snapback]

A Landrover may be wide but not 7' 3". I have had 2 types of strap-on mirrors which are OK but now have a set of SMAT Colt mirrors which are similar in design to the Milencos with two clamps and a strap. The mirror and bar can easily be removed for ferries etc. These work vey well.

For the mirrors which are taller than they are wide, you could do with this type of mirror but with a 90 degree bend in the tube. It would be easy to fabricate but I'm surprised no manufacturer offers these as an alternative. They could then be fitted to van-derived cars and Transits etc.

I agree with Roger, two mirrors are essential. Turn left with a cyclist creeping up the inside? No thanks!

Mike

Guest john1215

I have a Passat and I use Milenco mirros. I have one either side, I agree with the comments made about 2 mirrors especially when towing abroad you need a nearside mirror. The normal car mirrors are rarely sufficient unless you have a really narrow caravan. You really need to be able to see at least the rear offside corner of the van when travelling straight.

john1215

• 1 month later...
Guest john1215

I'd like some suggestions about which towing mirrors will best suit my Volvo V70 please. I have Milenco mirrors at present that I uzsed on a Passat but they tended to mark the paintwork on the mirrors and I wanted to avoid that if possible andalthough I prefer to use the type that fit on to the existing mirrors I can be persuaded otherwise.

john1215

The legal requirement is to be able to see back along the caravan. This requires that the mirrors extend BEYOND the with of the caravan.

If you can't see the awning rail at the rear on both sides when straight, then your mirrors don't extend far enough.

Even large 4x4's don't have mirrors which extend beyond 2. 3 m so in practice all non-HGV or LGV vehicles need two towing mirrors fiited. The car's own mirrors simply don't extend far enough.

Guest john1215
The legal requirement is to be able to see back along the caravan. This requires that the mirrors extend BEYOND the with of the caravan.

If you can't see the awning rail at the rear on both sides when straight, then your mirrors don't extend far enough.

Even large 4x4's don't have mirrors which extend beyond 2. 3 m so in practice all non-HGV or LGV vehicles need two towing mirrors fiited. The car's own mirrors simply don't extend far enough.

14725[/snapback]

Roger,

Thanks for the lesson, that's great to know, but what does that have to do with which type of mirror will suit my V70 :D

I have a Passat and have towed for many years using a pair of Raydyot Mirrors that secure with rubber straps to the door mirrors of the vehicle.

Never had a problem and they give excellent vision .

Looking at the Towsure catalogue (Ref M92) similar mirrors can be obtained for approx £8 each, more than adequate for the task I would consider.

JONO

The handbook for your Passat should quote the overall width INCLUDING external mirrors. The handbook for your caravan should quote it's overall width. These two measurements should enable you to calculate how far your towing mirrors need to extend beyond your door mirrors. You can then choose suitable mirrors which fit securely to your door mirrors.

Another Passat caravanner may be able to give more specific recommendations but since all our towcars are different widths, it's not easy for the rest of us.

Guest john1215
I have a Passat and have towed for many years using a pair of Raydyot Mirrors that secure with rubber straps to the door mirrors of the vehicle.

Never had a problem and they give excellent vision .

Looking at the Towsure catalogue (Ref M92) similar mirrors can be obtained for approx £8 each, more than adequate for the task I would consider.

JONO

14775[/snapback]

Jono,

I used this type of mirror on a discovery I had, I changed to the Milenco type as I didn't feel that the Raydot type with the rubber straps would be secure enough but I'll look at them again, Thanks

john1215

Dont forget the law also has a maximum width - seem to remember no more than 200mm greater than the vans maximum width.

BUT please check on actual dimension.

Just found this:-

TOWING MIRRORS

The law on towing mirrors is a little hazy. The law requires the driver to have an “adequate†view to the rear and down the sides of the caravan, but does not define “adequateâ€. So do you need extension mirrors or not? Not if your towing vehicle’s mirrors are large enough and can be adjusted to see down past the sides of the caravan. But most cars will need extension mirrors to satisfy the law.

If you do fit extension mirrors, remember that it is an offence if they project more than 200mm from the side of the vehicle or trailer, whichever is the wider. This means that when driving solo, they must not project more than 200mm from the edge of the towcar – hence most will need to be removed after pitching if you are going to take the car off the site.

I wouldn't spend much on them. I put one on the driver's side to comply with the law, but I find the car mirrors are fine. I also have a Passat

4290[/snapback]

If going to France, I would strongly advise to have a pair. French police are hot on outfits being able to see behind them properly.

(Written with the hindsight of having been pulled over once). ;)

If going to France, I would strongly advise to have a pair. French police are hot on outfits being able to see behind them properly.

(Written with the hindsight of having been pulled over once). ;)

14848[/snapback]

I personally would define "Adequate" vision as, "being able to see the front and rear of both sides of the caravan simultaneously when the caravan is in line with the tow car, whilst also having a clear view of following traffic in the lanes to your left or right. If this requires the fitment of two (or more) mirrors, then so be it. Clear vision through the caravan is a bonus, but not all designs allow for this.

The Milenco mirrors referred to earlier are very good (I know as I have a set) but my preferred mirror is the "Special Mirror" available from Repusel http://www. repusel. com because it has a slightly larger and squarer head. It is available with various extension arm lengths and with flat or convex mirrors. There is also an optional webbing (anti vibration) strap that is worth every penny since it not only removes all vibration but also prevents the mirror from blowing back when hit with the bow-wave from oncoming HGVs.

Regards,

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Guest john1215
I personally would define "Adequate" vision as, "being able to see the front and rear of both sides of the caravan simultaneously when the caravan is in line with the tow car, whilst also having a clear view of following traffic in the lanes to your left or right. If this requires the fitment of two (or more) mirrors, then so be it. Clear vision through the caravan is a bonus, but not all designs allow for this.

The Milenco mirrors referred to earlier are very good (I know as I have a set) but my preferred mirror is the "Special Mirror" available from Repusel http://www. repusel. com/sites/site_0/index. php because it has a slightly larger and squarer head. It is available with various extension arm lengths and with flat or convex mirrors. There is also an optional webbing (anti vibration) strap that is worth every penny since it not only removes all vibration but also prevents the mirror from blowing back when hit with the bow-wave from oncoming HGVs.

Regards,

Gordon.

14851[/snapback]

Gordon,

That looks good. What does the webbing strap attach to. I went to the link site but the larger photos didn't want to work.

john1215

Gordon,

That looks good. What does the webbing strap attach to. I went to the link site but the larger photos didn't want to work.

john1215

14873[/snapback]

Hi John,

The strap is fixed to the front wing of the towcar with (of all things) a large sucker. I didn't initially think this would stay in place for long, but I have never had it pull loose in many years of use, so I'm now a convert! You'll see from the Repusel site that it's referred to as a Davit. I thought that was a kind of crane, so I'm not sure why the name is used in this context. Maybe it has some other meaning in Dutch? This strap has a universal fitting so can be used to brace to almost any make of extension mirror.

I hope that helps,

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Gordon,

A last question, the sucker doesn't leave a mark on the body at all?

john1215

14920[/snapback]

No, other than a clean circle on each wing when towing in "British weather" LOL.

ATB,

Gordon.