Heating Issues With New Caravan

Guest iank

THIS IS A LETTER WRITTEN TO TRUMA. I am fed up with the way the heating behaves especially when the van costs a small fortune. Hopefully they will respond and then all those with heating problesm will be supplied with a contact name at Truma.

Hi,

Along with numerous other caravanners we have experienced problems with the electric side of our heater. A remote sensor has been fitted by the dealer but this still has not cured the problem.

The problem is that the heating comes on alright no problem and then when it reaches the set temperature, it switches off, but then does not switch on again until it is nearly freezing or manual intervention by either my spouse or myself. The worst selections are the 500w and 1000w.

As mentioned I am not alone with this problem and it is mentioned on nearly every caravan forum. It is my conclusion that the design of the heater is poor and is not able to do the job that it is supposed to do.

The dealer has unsuccessfully tried to remedy this issue on both our caravans and both caravans were under a year old. Our present caravan is a 2004 Lunar. As I am of the opinion that the design of the heating appliance contravenes the Sale of Goods Act in that the appliance is not of a reasonable standard and does not fulfil the purpose for which it is designed I will now be escalating the matter to our local Trading Standards as it is obvious that in my opinion Truma as a manufacturer are passing on goods with design problems for the dealers to sort out.

I would like to know if Truma take this problem seriously and whether they are taking steps to rectify the poor design? I do not want to be getting up all night long to adjust the heating system in the caravan just to stay warm. An early response would be appreciated as the caravan is going into the dealer in the first week of December and if the problem is not cured permanently under the Sale of Goods Act I will be rejecting the caravan and Truma will be caught up in the fall out. Basically I am fed up with freezing when my heating system should be working correctly!

Regards,

Ian

Now that is a great letter, please let us know how you get on, as you say you are not on your own, and if the Heater is not up to doing the job it was intended for, then Truma must rectify the matter, and I doubt you are the first to complain to them.

Shiba. :unsure:

I had the same problem as you recently and found the cure was instant when a new control circuit board was fitted – any idea what the dealer is going to test next when you take it back in December??

btw I did notice that the replacement boards have had the relays upgraded from 10 amp to 16amp - hope this helps.

Fiat Rimor Europeo 69P Motorhome

Wow Ian,

When I had the same problem, I phoned my dealer about it, but they told me it wasn't a warranty issue, so I phoned Explorer, She told me to give her ten minutes, then phone my dealer back. They got me a remote sensor, it helped but not totally curing the problem.

I phoned Truma and asked them what was up, I was told it was a sticking relay, they asked who my dealer was, I told them. They said to make arrangements with them and have a new control panel fitted, I did, and now it's working brilliantly.

Both Explorer and Truma were exemplary, I couldn't have asked for better service.

I had a lot of help from Tradetech and arc systems though :)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Ian

I thought you could not invoke the Sale of Goods act against the manufacturer but this had to be done against the retailer? Sale of Goods Act I wish you luck in getting the problem sorted out. However I think I would have taken a different approach with Truma, at least until I had received their take on the situation. Just a thought.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

It is the retailer that will have to carry the can under the Sale of Goods Act but if they are unable to resolve it I will be escalating the issue as I am really fed up. The issue was highlighted to the dealer and Truma within less than a month of buying the caravan new. All to often the manufacturer passes poor quality goods onto a dealer who then battles with the manufacturer to get it resolved. Then it became summer and sort of forgotten about until last weekend.

The dealer has been good but they have to operate within the design constraints of the heater. I think that the main problem with the caravan industry is that there are no standards that they have to work towards so they can just say that it is working within their tolerances whatever that may be. There is no ways that I would want to sleep with a gas heater on in a caravan!

I had a lot of help from Tradetech and arc systems though :)

44889[/snapback]

They came to my rescue too - thanks again Gary & Steve :)

Fiat Rimor Europeo 69P Motorhome

The issue seems more prevalent on recent caravans and also on the location of the heater. Perhaps if you could indicate the model of caravan and location of the heater it may help the manufacturer resolve the problem as I will pass this information onto them although the parameters that the heater operates within should have been taken into account for all sorts of caravan designs.

Archived