Coachman Factory

Wonky

Hi everyone, thought I'd just pass on a little insight into a recent visit to the factory.

I took my van back to the factory for a roof repair (Hailstone damage - not a fault!!!), and whilst there was treated to a brief factory tour.

I cannot really adequately describe what I witnessed except to say that each person had his/her job and it was performed with the utmost care! The panels are all made on site as are the cabinets, in fact everything (except the soft furnishings and GRP panels), are made on site. This ensures quality, and, as we all know, that is what Coachman are all about. No rushed jobs, no friday vans, no bodges. The management run a policy of producing quality and not quantity. I am told that they could actually produce about 75% more vans per day if they hurried BUT, they don't!

Another nice thing to see was the workforece actually walking on the roofs - with the designers blessing - the guide was very proud of this capability!

My visit has only served to reinforce my belief that Coachman Caravans are really the best UK made vans bar none and I'm very glad to have ordered a new one :lol:

Martin W

Discovery D3 HSE + Coachman VIP 575/4 2016

www.pennplanning.co.uk

Guest Hobbybod
. . . . I cannot really adequately describe what I witnessed except to say that each person had his/her job and it was performed with the utmost care! The panels are all made on site as are the cabinets, in fact everything (except the soft furnishings and GRP panels), are made on site. This ensures quality, and, as we all know, that is what Coachman are all about. No rushed jobs, no friday vans, no bodges. The management run a policy of producing quality and not quantity. I am told that they could actually produce about 75% more vans per day if they hurried BUT, they don't!

Another nice thing to see was the workforece actually walking on the roofs - with the designers blessing - the guide was very proud of this capability!

My visit has only served to reinforce my belief that Coachman Caravans are really the best UK made vans bar none and I'm very glad to have ordered a new one :lol:

Martin W

44787[/snapback]

Martin, I'm sure they are, but at some, rather large, price!

Everything, apart from quantity of production, also applies to Hobbys with the addition that their furnishings are also produced 'in factory'!! Probably applies to other German 'vans as well.

And Hobby produce ~22,000 'vans per year with Hymer producing nearly the same number. So decent, quality production methods need not be confined to small scale producers. But what you do get is a far lower, and much more affordable, price.

Pity that the ONLY UK caravan to come anywhere near German 'vans, for Quality & Reliability, in the CC survey was Coachman, but at a price almost double that of the other 'vans. Why? Most of us can't afford those prices, as I told the folks on the Coachman stand at the Earls Court Show!! He said he appreciated my honesty!

I do not know the Coachman and I only know what I have seen as far as German vans go.

BUT our Abbey (by Swift Group) is well built, well screwed together, well designed and a much better layout (for us) than any of the German vans we have looked at.

OK we have only owned it since February and we have only done about 4000 miles with it around the UK and France, and only used it for eleven weeks BUT it still looks as good as the day we collected it AND nothing has dropped off and everything works as it should.

And the whole thing cost less than the kitchen in our new apartment. :)

I took my van back to the factory for a roof repair (Hailstone damage - not a fault!!!),

44787[/snapback]

Hailstone damage on a roof that you can walk on??? The mind boggles!!! Giant hailstones, miniture people. .. only messin. ..

:rolleyes:

We have had our Coachman van new in 2002 and have had NO problems what so ever apart from the ever present blown air heating problem that all other van manufactures suffer from. :wacko:  :(

44888[/snapback]

Sorry Sadie but can you explain this problem to me? :huh:

Our van has blown air heating and we have no problems with it and our van was manufactured by 'another manufacturer' :mellow:

And I hasten to add we have used the van in all weathers since last February when we collected it. :)

Martin, I'm sure they are, but at some, rather large, price!

Everything, apart from quantity of production, also applies to Hobbys with the addition that their furnishings are also produced 'in factory'!! Probably applies to other German 'vans as well.

And Hobby produce ~22,000 'vans per year with Hymer producing nearly the same number. So decent, quality production methods need not be confined to small scale producers.   But what you do get is a far lower, and much more affordable, price.

Pity that the ONLY UK caravan to come anywhere near German 'vans, for Quality & Reliability, in the CC survey was Coachman, but at a price almost double that of the other 'vans.   Why? Most of us can't afford those prices, as I told the folks on the Coachman stand at the Earls Court Show!!  He said he appreciated my honesty!

44798[/snapback]

Your points are noted and to a degree, agreed with, but, how can you say that the price of my van is double that of a comparable German van? We looked at all makes and models at the show and cannot agree with you! Firstly, the German vans only had a couple of layouts that we liked and BOTH of these were over £19k - our van was £18k! Furthermore, this price was very competative compared to all other UK makes (there were only three makes with the layout we wanted though). The only maker that appeared cheap, was Bailey and, sorry boys and girls but these were 'cheap' if you get my drift :o

Also, please note, I am not knocking German vans - they certainly are very, very well made. But, most of them are not suitable for my style of caravanning (rallying) as they have little, or no 12v outlets. They are also very heavy - not that that is a problem to me at the moment.

Martin W

www.pennplanning.co.uk

Hailstone damage on a roof that you can walk on??? The mind boggles!!! Giant hailstones, miniture people. ..  only messin. ..

:rolleyes:

44844[/snapback]

Yup!

The hailstones were bigger than golfballs and also wrote off the Discovery bonnet!

The worst damage was to the curved section over the front windows of the caravan - this is a very weak point as there is only glass fibre below it! Our friends (who were travelling with us), also lost a front window of their van!

Scarey :mellow:

Martin W

www.pennplanning.co.uk

Hobbybod

I think you are being a little unfair with "At a price almost double!" My Pastiche cost around 15K of my hard earned. If you can tell me where I can get a comparable for around £7500 I will buy you one as well!!!! They are very siimilar in price to Baileys Senator and Swifts Conqueror as far as I can see.

btw Wonky I agree with you about the factory. We regularly go on the Owners Club Factory rally. it is a grand weekend. You should try it.

Regards

A very satisfied Coachman owner!