Cold Temps

Daveg

Hi all,

Want to go away at weekend, but forecast is for freezing overnight temperatures .

Any tips for stopping aqua roll, wastemaster and anything else freezing and causing damage.

Thanks

Dave

p. s. I am also using propane :unsure:

There been several topics on this, but we have never had a problem with pipes freezing etc,

Providing the temperatures aren’t sub zero I think you are more or less covered if you’re already on Propane :)

Fiat Rimor Europeo 69P Motorhome

For waste water it is best to use a conventional bucket as this can be emptied even when frozen solid.

44733[/snapback]

As long as it isn't plastic and you bash it tto hard, in which case it will shatter.

(Bin there, dun it, got the tee-shirt etc etc. LOL

Have been away may times in the winter and usualy lag thew water container never had a problem. was wondering for vans with fitted water tanks are these tanks insulated?

Never had a problem in the winter apart from supplementing the electric heating with gas.

Just enjoy the experience of winter caravaning!

Yossa

In that case how do you stop the water freezing in an in built tank?

44852[/snapback]

With a lot of systems, you can switch out the onboard tank and use an water container (Aquaroll) in the normal manner. If it is VERY cold, I suggest doing this.

As the on board tank is inside the caravan usually below the front seats I would suggest that if it got to a temperature where this was at risk of freezing you wouldn’t be able to live in the caravan!

In addition to this the Aquaroll outside would have frozen long ago.

Desperado

Any tips for stopping aqua roll, wastemaster and anything else freezing and causing damage.

44697[/snapback]

Yep - leave 'em at home! A slightly frivolous reply I know, but you get the drift, I'm sure.

We have an onboard tank that is both inside the caravan and raised from the floor, so it's well insulated from the outside weather. This is fitted in a front bed locker, and the access drop flap to this locker is normally left open to allow warm air to circulate overnight. We do however still fill this from an external aquaroll, but simply leave the aquaroll empty when not actively filling the onboard tank.

If you are going to use an aquaroll to supply water during freezing conditions, then this should be well insulated. Wrap a jacket around it and don't forget to insulate the base from the ground too. The most likely part to freeze is the supply hose to the caravan, so insulate this particularly well, disconnecting it overnight to bring it inside the caravan overnight. (Don't forget to fill the kettle for a morning cuppa before going to bed).

The waste is always directed to a bucket when the outside temperature is below freezing. This is bacause a bucket of ice can still be emptied, whilst a frozen waste container, usually cannot.

See also this thread.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

The bucket is a good idea for the waste water after dark but revert to the waste master in the morning then after evening meal empty and use the bucket.

At the same time that you go from waste master to bucket, i would empty the aqauroll and remove the pump and use a cotainer for water to make tea and brush teeth . Look on the bright side most English winter days are wet and windyColjac :)

If you had problems at the weekend with the fridge getting too cold you might find Winter covers useful, you can get them from most accessory shops for about £20. 00

These covers fit onto the outside of the van over the fridge grille and help to prevent "overcooling" by restricting the flow of air to the cooling fins.

Well we are away in a few hours with freezing forcast for tonight. WE will follow your tips and see how we get on!

Mark

I must admit, my biggest fear would be the pipes freezing.

The Aquaroll, if kept reasonable full, would take a lot to freeze, would it not?

The same would go for the Wastemaster, so would it be prudent to put some clean water in it to start?

I am of the impression that, the greater the volume of water, the harder to freeze it.

But the pipes, different matter, you cannot keep a large volume of water in the pipes as they don't hold a large volume.

I'm certainly no expert so don't take these as facts, just my reasoned thoughts and I'll stand corrected if I'm off the mark!

Let us know how you get on mark70,

Cheers,

As the on board tank is inside the caravan usually below the front seats I would suggest that if it got to a temperature where this was at risk of freezing you wouldn’t be able to live in the caravan!

In addition to this the Aquaroll outside would have frozen long ago.

Desperado

44861[/snapback]

. ...and a lot are just underslung. ............

I must admit, my biggest fear would be the pipes freezing.

The Aquaroll, if kept reasonable full, would take a lot to freeze, would it not?

The same would go for the Wastemaster, so would it be prudent to put some clean water in it to start?

I am of the impression that, the greater the volume of water, the harder to freeze it.

But the pipes, different matter, you cannot keep a large volume of water in the pipes as they don't hold a large volume.

I'm certainly no expert so don't take these as facts, just my reasoned thoughts and I'll stand corrected if I'm off the mark!

Let us know how you get on mark70,

Cheers,

45040[/snapback]

If you've got a bit of background heat overnight in the van, then the internal pipes won't freeze.

Regarding the outside I agree it would take a lot more than a frost to freeze the Aquaroll - never had a problem with mine yet :unsure:

If you've got a bit of background heat overnight in the van, then the internal pipes  won't freeze.

Regarding the outside I agree it would take a lot more than a frost to freeze the Aquaroll - never had a problem with mine yet :unsure:

45051[/snapback]

What about the pipe that goes from the aquaroll to the side of the van?

That will have water in it, any suggestions to stop that freezing?

Also, what about the submersible pump . . are they fairly robust?

45097[/snapback]

I'm set up on my drive at the moment (long story - builders in etc) so we have been using the facilities in the van all week and it's been minus 2 some mornings.

So far the aqua roll and the water supply pipe hasn't frozen - I guess the supply pipe above all would be more prone to freezing but it's been OK so far.

I see oldboy lags his pipes which I really ought to do before our next trip out at Christmas :o

We have spent many New Year's Eve's away in the caravan, and will do so again this year. We have had severe snow even in February,and one memorable Easter we had several inches of snow. A polystyrene tile under the aquaroll, a cylinder jacket round it, and plenty of bubblewrap on the inlet pipe and we were ok. Saying that, we always keep a container of water inside the caravan overnight just in case and use that for morning cuppas etc. You can get small heaters for fishtanks which can be fitted inside your aquaroll so I believe, but we've never bothered - and believe me, it gets cold up North! Keep a couple of hot water bottles in the van, pop them in the bed, half an hour before you get in. Use them during the evening to put your feet on if you suffer from 'caravan frozen ankle' syndrome, and in the morning, wrap your undies round a hottie before you get dressed! All good, old-fashioned advice, but the secret to keeping warm is not to get cold in the first place!

Hi All

Well after a weekend away in the lovely frost the only slight problem we had was Saturday morning the water pump pipe did freeze so all I did was submerse it in warm water in the wash up area and back in the aquaroll there was a layer of ice inside the aquaroll but didn’t cause and problems at all and to pre-empt this happening again I took it in the van on Saturday night had no problems using butane gas either but whether that was because it was a new bottle I am not sure.

All in all a wonderful weekend and will definitely do it again and would defiantly rather have the frost to cope with than the rain to put up with!

Regards

JON

45097[/snapback]

SIMPLE, at night just disconnect it and take it inside the van. We normally keep a couple of 5 litre bottles of water in the van for drinking etc. and a small container to rinse the cassette if necessary assuming it is fed direct from the aqua roll.

Adria John - I so agree about preferring frost to rain! Wrapped up warm, a brisk stroll on a frosty day makes you feel really virtuous, whereas a walk in the pouring rain just makes you feel wet and miserable! Also, you can have great snowball fights when it's really bad, there's always acres of nice clean snow around a caravan site when it's snowed overnight.

Archived