Caravan Chat

mark70

we were new to caravanning this year and a few items were brought which were not as useful as we thought they were going to be i. e.

small radio / television (Black& white) poor reception& quality.

There must be others who have found themselves in similiar situations

What is the most useful or useless item you have brought for the van in the last year. This may help others starting out.

Teresa

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

Heres just a few of the things we have found very useful to us

1/ The corner steady drill socket so theres no more manual winding

2/scienic awning they are so easy to put up and take down

3/15 inch flat screen tv/computer monitor so i can use it at home for the pc and in the van as a tv

4/Gas kettle so if you go on a cl with no electric use still get a cuppa in the morning

5/And a top tip for when you are looking to buy a caravan look for one with removable carpets.

Cheers Dazkim

Don't bother buying one of those bins you assemble and put a black bag in as the bag falls through when it gets heavy.

Agree about the drill, makes life a lot easier.

Think long and hard before buying a porch awning, most of the time we can't be bothered for two nights!

. ...........Think long and hard before buying a porch awning, most of the time we can't be bothered for two nights!

44732[/snapback]

Bonus of a porch awning, though, is it will fit nearly every van you'll ever have.

One of the best buys as they last forever, the double skillet by D&F Promotions, Greenways Farm, Flaxlands, Carleton Rode, Norfolk NR16 1AD (Tel 01953 789175).

You'll see them at a lot of the shows and they advertise in the caravan magazines.

(PS Rode in the address is correct !!).

Bonus of a porch awning, though, is it will fit nearly every van you'll ever have.

44738[/snapback]

I thought the same but when we last changed our caravan there was no way we could put up our porch awning without blocking a window.

The best buy we made was our caravan mover.

Pete.

I thought the same but when we last changed our caravan there was no way we could put up our porch awning without blocking a window.

The best buy we made was our caravan mover.

Pete.

44748[/snapback]

And probably the most expensive, lol :D

And probably the most expensive, lol :D

44750[/snapback]

No. ................ the most expensive buy we made for our caravan was a suitable car to tow it with!!!

I guess that this will be the case for a lot of people.

Pete :)

The most useful things I have bought for my van thus far are:

> A kettle which boils on gas from the hob

> My Beauclare skillett and lid (to make it into an effective oven)

Probably the least useful was the mini-recrgable vaccum, which does nothing of the sort. It just makes a lot of noise and pushes the dirt round from place to place.

Cheers

James

Best buy - a small hand held mains vacuum cleaner approx £8 plus VAT from Makro. This works as well if not better than a lot of full size cleaners and is essential if you don't have removable carpets but have a toddler who thinks food is for throwing rather than eating.

Our lightweight porch awning because it's so easy to dry :)

Fiat Rimor Europeo 69P Motorhome

Best buy - a small hand held mains vacuum cleaner approx £8 plus VAT from Makro. This works as well if not better than a lot of full size cleaners and is essential if you don't have removable carpets but have a toddler who thinks food is for throwing rather than eating.

we were new to caravanning this year and a few items were brought which were not as useful as we thought they were going to be i. e.

small radio / television (Black& white) poor reception& quality.

There must be others who have found themselves in similiar situations

What is the most useful or useless item you have brought for the van in the last year. This may help others starting out.

Teresa

44680[/snapback]

Hi, some of the things we purchased have been a 14" colour portable with built in dvd player not quite a lcd one but alot cheaper at 79. 99 from co-op (so if the status ariel is cr** we can watch a dvd) a freeview box (mixed receptions depending on the sites) melamine dinner set (we kept breaking the proper crockery) low wattage microwave saves our gas (we only go on sites with electric hookup) installed a car stereo radio/cd player, we try to make the caravan home from home :)

My most dissapointing buy this year as a newby was the £15. 00 noseweight device - ended up using the bathroom scales with a lump of 3x2 as recomended by experienced vanners'

Ian

44887[/snapback]

But bathroom scales are awkward to carry. Use the scales to calibrate the noseweight gauge then you can carry it with you.

Mike

. ..............  What is the most useful or useless item you have brought for the van in the last year. This may help others starting out.

Teresa

44680[/snapback]

The most useful item was without doubt the PowerTouch mover. :D No more arguments when trying to site the van and the ability to put the van exactly where it needs to go including turning it round completely to take advantage of views. I wonder why we didn't buy one earlier.

Another useful item was a dog duvet with a washable cover. We pull the slats out about 3-4 feet between the two front bunks, take the throws from the seats, fold them and put them on top of the slats. Meggie then sleeps on here covered by her duvet if it is cold or on top of the duvet in warmer weather. Much better than when she used to sleep on our legs on one or other of the bunks. ;)

The most useful item was without doubt the PowerTouch mover.   :D  No more arguments when trying to site the van and the ability to put the van exactly where it needs to go including turning it round completely to take advantage of views.   I wonder why we didn't buy one earlier.  

Another useful item was a dog duvet with a washable cover.   We pull the slats out about 3-4 feet between the two front bunks, take the throws from the seats, fold them and put them on top of the slats.   Meggie then sleeps on here covered by her duvet if it is cold or on top of the duvet in warmer weather.   Much better than when she used to sleep on our legs on one or other of the bunks.     ;)

45289[/snapback]

One of the most handiest items I have bought for the c,van, especially early/late

in the year, is a head torch, as worn by cavers. If your water or gas runs out when its dark, with this torch everything is done with two hands, and a nod of the head puts the light where you need it

What about a aquaroll, better still get two

44814[/snapback]

this thread is about things that have been brought but found they are a waste of time . .. or they might have been the best thing ever.

An aquaroll does not come into this category, most people buy aquarolls as this is a necessity

The best thing I have brought is an x-box for playing games/DVDs, if you don't get a signal for Tv you have something to do/watch.

I also have a freeview box, but it depends on the signal.

a drink caddy £1. 99, so i don't have far to stretch for my beer

halogen heater it can be used on 400, 800 or 1200 watts so shouldn’t blow any fuses and gives a lovely homely glow of at the same time. also when it falls over it automatically switches off.

Don't bother buying one of those bins you assemble and put a black bag in as the bag falls through when it gets heavy.

44732[/snapback]

If have one of those bins don’t use one set of tubes so making the bin lower, then the bag doesn't fall through. Also it encourages you (me as well!!) to empty the bin more frequently and so less chance of a smelly bin in summer. !!

Best things:

£10 hand held hoover from Aldi

Sunncamp porch awning. 15 minutes erection time, great!

Worst thing -

Expensive Digi TV gizmo box for connecting to Laptop - Useless!!

Nissan X-trail 2. 2 DCi - 2005 Adria Altea 502 DK,2 well-behaved boys who I am immensely proud of!!

(Also a 1990 VW Golf Convertible, which definately does not tow anything!!!)

This post is not meant to intentionally offend anybody

Archived