Towcar For A Compass Rallye 635

moylcgb

we have just bought a compass rallye 635 late summer (our first caravan ) and matched it with a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4. 7 V8 petrol engine with a mind to get it autogas converted. it is a great towcar but when talking to people in the motor trade they all advise against the auto gas conversion( they breakdown, poor resale, the trade wont touch them etc ) and with the conversion costing £2500 i have know decided to look for a big diesel motor. it is only now that i relise just how big and heavy this caravan is ( wouldnt swap it for anything else ) and how limited Iam in my choice of towcars that i thought i would ask others for their advice . there must be plenty of other people with these big caravans on the road and it would be nice to know what they use to tow them. my only other wish is a seven seater if possible but this is not a essential . iam looking to spend no more than £13000. i look foward to your thoughts

Suggest you try a Toyota Landcruiser Colorado 3. 0 D4-D. This engine was from Y Reg. 2001. I wanted an Auto and had difficulty locating my vehicle. After 18 months use I am highly delighted, comfortable, reliable, economical [30mpg solo 26ish towing]. Check out this site for car info. http://www. honestjohn. co. uk/home/index. htm - then car-by-car breakdown.

I tried ALL the 4x4's but the Colorado was in my opinion - easily the best. Everything you need is Standard.

Good luck with your search and do let us know which you choose.

Mike

A diesel 4x4 with enough weight to tow at least 1800kg, for less than £13000 is hard to come by. Some suggestions:

> Nissan Patrol 3. 0

> Mitsubishi Shogun LWB 3. 2

> Jeep Grand Cherokee 2. 7

> Hyundai Terracan 2. 9

> Toyota Landcruise Colorado 3. 0 D4D

> Landrover Discovery 2. 5 TD5

Cheers

James

A diesel 4x4 with enough weight to tow at least 1800kg, for less than £13000 is hard to come by. Some suggestions:

> Nissan Patrol 3. 0

> Mitsubishi Shogun LWB 3. 2

> Jeep Grand Cherokee 2. 7

> Hyundai Terracan 2. 9

> Toyota Landcruise Colorado 3. 0 D4D

> Landrover Discovery 2. 5 TD5

Cheers

James

44762[/snapback]

James I have to admit that we [wife & I] tried ALL of the above vehicles plus a Kia Sorrento and 2. 5D Range Rover. Apart from the Kia we felt the others were all very agricultural. The Terracan felt as tho it would wander all over the road unless it was constantly corrected - very tiring! The Kia was a decent ride but for us a bit lightweight and 2. 5 is too small an engine especially with Auto transmission. As soon as we set off down the road for a few miles test drive in the Colorado it just felt better. Very quiet [after engine warms up] - smooth ride with little road noise and so easy and relaxing to drive. My wife has no hesitation in going shopping [Tesco etc] and loves driving 'Elsie'.

I guess we all think our vehicle is the best for carvanning - we p/x'd a new Passat Sport Estate [6speed TDi 130bhp for Elsiebecause overtaking vehicles caused some discomfort but not anymore - never a 'twitch'.

Just try a Colorado and compere - we did and it's no contest, but thats just me - others I am sure will disagree - which makes these Boards so interesting.

Good luck

Mike B)

I'm sure a Merc ML CDi would tow your van fine - I forgot to put it on the list to tell the truth. The only thing to bear in mind is that it doesn't do very well in customer satisfaction/reliability surveys - though I'm sure somebody will passionately rise to its defence.

Cheers

James

thanks for the replies i found the honest john website a great help and i will continue my search has anybody done much towing with a mercedes ml270 diesel

44842[/snapback]

I have had an auto ML270 CDI since September 03 and have now done 26k. The first service became due at 16k and the second service looks like it might also be due after a further 16k. It tows our Senator Oklahoma effortlessly and, unless it's particularly windy, generally gives about 22mpg. Solo, I have obtained 33mpg but generally it's about 26mpg. Average mpg since purchase is 24. 5. I have been on two Mercedes-organised off-road days and I was very impressed with the off-road ability on ordinary road tyres. In Dec03/Jan05, we were in Braemar when the temperature was minus 13 deg. The snow became hard packed ice but the Mercedes towed the 'van off the pitch without wheelspin.

Reliability wise, I have had a headlight replaced twice due to condensation and a couple of parking sensors had to be replaced. The Mercedes replaced a TD5 Discovery and has proved to be a more comfortable car in every way, esp for rear seat passengers. I am looking forward to having a look at the recently introduced new M-class as it has had very favourable reports.

Mlamont