New To Caravaning- Where To Start?

mumsiedeb

Hi,

We pick up our 2008 Bailey Ranger tomorrow from a dealers who has left in the water but, battery, electric lead. step and gas bottle.

what words of advice can you give us to help to get off to a good start? what are the essentials to buy(looking at getting insurance sorted today) what hints and tips do you have for us and what else do i need to buy.

thanks

Debs

Start with this. ................ http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/caravan-advice/ and work your way down the list on the left.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

When you can run to one, a digital multimeter, similar spec. to this one

Know your Caravan and car tyre pressures for towing

Know your Noseweight and learn how to pack the caravan.

Edited by gumdrop

Firstly, welcome to the wonderful world of caravanning! Secondly, make sure the dealer explains slowly & carefully how everything works or fits (a good handover should IMHO take at least 30-40mins - not including any paperwork!). Hopefully the previous owner will have left all the original paperwork with the van when they traded it in (it should be in a blue plastic box); if this is not there you should be able to download the owners manual via the Bailey website.

If you intend to make your first trip out in the van to a CC or C&CC site then don't be afraid to tell the site wardens that it is your first trip and that you might need a bit of help (we were all at that point once in our hobby), don't be afraid to either ask for or accept help from those pitched around you (most of us are a friendly bunch and always happy to help a newbie).

Take your time and enjoy yourselves, you will find that each time you do it it will become that much easier and it won't be long before you are offering help and assistance to others.

Good post kiaman.

The first trip can be very daunting, just remember we've all been there so just take it easy, don't be afraid to ask take a pen and paper to jot down things you need.

Welcome, enjoy and let us all know how you get on.

Buying a van was the best thing we ever did- we've explored so much of our great country that otherwise we just wouldn't have.

Hi,

We pick up our 2008 Bailey Ranger tomorrow from a dealers who has left in the water but, battery, electric lead. step and gas bottle.

I hope you mean he has left in the Water Barrel ;) If he has left in the water it needs draining down. :lol:

Download this and print it out as a checklist to take with you. http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/caravan-advice/buying/checks-when-buying-a-caravan

Ask him what year the tyres are dated and get him to show you the mark on the tyres. WK/YY. Week and year of manufacture.

There is a chance they are already out of date and require NEW ones now. (based on 5 year changeover)

Has it got a spare wheel and will he add one as a freebie?

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

For your first trip, go somewhere local for a few days.

It gives you a chance to sort things out and if things really go wrong it is easy to pop home.

poolebob

Firstly, welcome to the wonderful world of caravanning! Secondly, make sure the dealer explains slowly & carefully how everything works or fits (a good handover should IMHO take at least 30-40mins - not including any paperwork!).

30-40 minutes is nowhere near a good handover for a newcomer to the game ( and Im guessing from the post that mumsiedeb is just that ) My handover took over 2 hours and they told me in advance to expect that, and it was 2 hours well spent and could even have been longer. 30-40 for an experienced caravanner getting a new model might be fine, but not for a novice.

30-40 minutes is nowhere near a good handover for a newcomer to the game ( and Im guessing from the post that mumsiedeb is just that ) My handover took over 2 hours and they told me in advance to expect that, and it was 2 hours well spent and could even have been longer. 30-40 for an experienced caravanner getting a new model might be fine, but not for a novice.

I said "at least" not "no more than"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I said "at least" not "no more than"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can read, You seem to be very sensitive for some reason. No criticism of your statement was either given or implied and Im sure everybody else who read my post understood that. I,ll apologise in any case, if my wording offended you, but I really think you need to calm down and stop looking for offence and insults where none is intended. All I meant to do was expand on info given and hopefully add value to the thread.

*Exclamation* some peeps get rattled here

I'm sure this kind of arguing isn't good for the forum or the op

(null)