Please could someone tell me the full and empty weight of the small 4. 5 kg bottle of gas. I can hear the liquid inside the bottle but unsure how long it will last.

Thanks

MARK. .

VECTRA 1. 9 CDTI 150BHP, SPRITE MAJOR 6 2009.

The weight of the bottle (for calor anyway) is given on the metal plate on top. Add the weight of gas to this for the full weight. I have a cheap luggage weighing spring scales and I can easily check how much gas.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Cheers, it is a calor bottle and there is no weight on the metal plate, but on the side of the bottle there is a weight saying TARE 9. 5 kg. is this the full weight ?

Found this info - 4. 5 kg bottle, empty 5-6 kg full with gas = 9-10 kg

7 kg bottle, empty 9-10 kg full with gas = 15-17

Sounds about right.

away to find the scales. ..

If it's any help, here's a snap shot of one of our 6Kg propane bottles, showing the tare weight (empty weight) on the metal ring under the valve.

Pic-1333.jpg

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

Here we go. on the silver ring there is the weight in pounds and ounces. my bottle is 13lb 2 oz take the pound weight ie 13 times it by 0. 453592 to convert into kilograms. total = 5. 8 kg. empty bottle weight is 5. 8kg ish.

SORTED. ......

hI Dee Tee, you are correct TARE is the emply bottle weight. on the side of my bottle on the neck part has both empty and full details in pounds and kg.

Thank MARK. .

Glad you're sorted :)

Next question. .. ;)

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

If you get one of these it will show the gas level. It is also a valve and will shut off if a bad leak occurs.

You turn on the gas and press the button on the side to get gas through. Fitted to the cylinder it then show the pressure.

http://compare. ebay. co. uk/like/170683036211?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&adtype=pla

Gaslow version at twice the price has a handwheel for easy connection. The gauge remains of your gas pipe all the time and you do not need a spanner to change the cylinder.

http://www. thegaslowcentre. co. uk/magento/gaslow/english/lpg-gas-equipment/lpg-gas-level-indicator-gauges. html

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. Internet connected via 3 dongle Windows 7. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine.

LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,.Reich Move Control. Safefill Fitted. ,CT. Ninja (Hon) Flies the flag. Tyron Bands

Not Much Money but we do see life. Motto . Carpe Diem .

For future reference i noticed the CC hand book has a list of gas bottle weights.

IMHO the pressure gauges are a bit of a gimmick. LPG/Butane/Propane all change from liquid to gas at a given rate and will, at the same temp, show the same pressure for "most" of the time. Its only as the liquid contents diminish and the available expansion space increases above a certain ratio's, that the pressure will start to drop. Thats why people get caught out. .. "it was green five minutes ago and I've only grilled the bacon and its in the red" :blink:

The only sure way to check the contents is by weight, or using one of the"transparent" cylinder products. I'd invest in a small set of hanging scales. I did see one that I thought "might" be suitable in a fishing tackle shop. .. I think it was for sea fishing use as it seemed to weigh things bigger than a minnow! :D

FT

2006 Landrover Freelander HSE TD4 (remapped) + 2011 Sterling Celebration 550
No trees were harmed by this message, but several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

my blog. ..Caravan Chronicles Twitter: @CaravanChron

2005 Kia Sorento 2. 5 Crdi Xe, 2007 Compass Corona Magnum 544 two 80 watt roof solar panels

I use one of these, great for gas bottle and avoiding Ryanair excess baggage charges.

http://www. ebay. co. u. ..=item3a71054859

Nice Find !

FT

2006 Landrover Freelander HSE TD4 (remapped) + 2011 Sterling Celebration 550
No trees were harmed by this message, but several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

my blog. ..Caravan Chronicles Twitter: @CaravanChron

From what I could find out the weight stamped on the foot of the bottle is as said is the basic weight of the bottle. However because of slight variations in the valve design which can be separated from the steel bottle this is then "updated" by the pressed aluminium ring around the valve which was the actual weight prior to refilling.

There is no specific way to measure the contents by reading the pressure to assess the contents of the bottle. The bottle is never filled completely and there is always some free gas in the top.

4. 5Kg of LPG is approx 8. 3 litres, I don't know what the actual capacity of a 4. 5Kg bottle is but if you assume 10 litres that would leave 1. 7 litres of actual gas. This gas is at a pressure sufficient to stop any more of the liquid boiling off to produce more gas. When you draw off some of the gas this reduces the pressure so some of the gas can boil off to replace it. You then stop drawing off gas, the LPG continues to boil off until the pressure rises to the same point then stops boiling. There is then less LPG and more gas but at the same pressure as before so no pressure guage can tell you how much LPG is in the tank until it is nearly empty. At that point all the LPG has boiled off and all you are left with is pressurised gas and as you use that last bit up the pressure will drop. So the best a pressure guage can do is warn you you are nearly out.

For info LPG approximately expands by 250:1 so 4. 5Kg is about 2000 litres of gas. It is very variable according to temperature, air pressure etc.

Coachman Amara 520/4 2003

LR Freelander 2 XS SD4 2. 2 Auto Indus Silver

Border Collie and ES Spaniel (with nothing between its ears)

The ultimate answer is an autochangeover valve. Mine uses every ounce of gas and then changes to a second cylinder. I took off an empty cylinder after it had changed and very carefully opened the tap. It gave a short hiss and that was it, all gone.

It is even possible to get a combined bulkhead regulator and changeover valve now. Cheaper than a new Truma regulator I believe.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. Internet connected via 3 dongle Windows 7. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine.

LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,.Reich Move Control. Safefill Fitted. ,CT. Ninja (Hon) Flies the flag. Tyron Bands

Not Much Money but we do see life. Motto . Carpe Diem .

dani1.png.612d6e01077fc019922e7ab4766586f5.png

Land Rover Discovery 4 SDV6 (2015) towing Adria Adora Danube (2013)

LFLWS.png.e8d3e7541fd366f848642c52fd56294d.png

Caravan & Motorhome Servicing & Repairs in Gunthorpe, Nottinghamshire

As already mentioned, the tare weight of the gas cylinder is it's empty weight, commonly found on a stamped disc around the cylinder valve.

The gas contents of the cylinder is given by weight, i. e. a 4. 5kg cylinder will containg 4. 5kg of LPG, a cylinder can contain more but to comply with weights & measure legislation, should not contain less!

Mitsubishi ASX4 2. 2 Auto Outlander PHEV GX5HS & Compass Omega 574 - with wifey & woofie!

Has anyone seen the new calor 6kg lite weight bottle, it claims that the bottle is 50% lighter than a normal bottle. Has anyone bought one of these yet? is so did it make alot of difference to the nose weight?

The other problem im running on butan atm and this is propane. Is a gas regulator an easy swop?

Abbey 215 GTS, Towed by Skoda Octavia 59 plate, 2. 0L TDI CR VRS DSG.