Mover Doesn't Move

JohnDT

Help needed I have a year 2000 Carver mover that no longer moves. When pressing the red button twice on the handset to activate all I get is a quick blink from the light and that's it. I have of course done all the logical checks to batteries and terminals etc but no fault found. My suspicion is the fault must be in the main control box has anybody ever had to replace this unit. Are they available as a spare part I wonder or better still how or where can I get it checked out.

John

John

Is there a reset button on the main control box? This could be the problem. Did you also check the terminals on the main control box, its just I once had the problem where a nut had vibrated loose. Good Luck.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

I agree with the last post, check the handset battery, if thats ok then double check the battery, terminals etc.

Its amazing how many faults are traced to minor probs that are easily fixed, but expensive if you've involved "the trade".

As a last resort you can only get a control box checked by a main dealer who will probably want to send it back to Truma (who I believe are at Burton On Trent) be prepared to pay about £400 for a new 'box.

Without seeing it my moneys on the handset battery.

Dave (Powerwheel fitter)

classiccarmeets. com

I had a similar problem a couple of months ago with my Reich mover, albeit it only affected one of the rollers. You could here it clicking but this one roller just wouldn't turn.

I took it back to the dealer who fitted it and after a check of all the components he replaced the internal workings of the main control box.

This was done under the guarantee.

If none of the other solutions you have been given solve your problem it could possibly be the main control box, as you initially suspected.

Ron

Any caravanners near by you with movers ?

Try their controller on yours, your controller on theirs

Dont need to engage drive units just try with drive unit free

Might eliminate one or the other

Any caravanners near by you with movers ?

Try their controller on yours, your controller on theirs

44354[/snapback]

Don't know whether the same would apply to a Carver, but if it were a Powrtouch, one handset wouldn't work on someone elses mover until the frequencies were configured.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

My main unit was replaced FOC early in its life due to known problems with the receiver, ( just thought, mine was a year 2000 as well )

The remote was just re used without any reprogramming, so I am assuming my suggestion might work, can only be worth a try

Hi Sparkey. you asked JohnDT to try someone else's mover remote on his Van, I know that his is a Carver, we have just had a Powrtouch fitted, and we were told that our remote will only work on our van and is registered to us, so that if the van is stolen, at least they won't be able to get a remote for it, unless of course you leave the remote in the van, which we were told not to do.

Shiba.

Do Carver have an hard wire that you could try, to rule out the wireless bit

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

i had same problem on my powertouch

i put their wire from handset and control box and it worked ok

so got a new one from powertouch and all ok

It was the hand set batteries. Thank you all for your replies I decided, plus also being strongly prompted by my son who had to come and help me push my van into the gararge that I should recheck the batteries. I was sceptical as I had only recently fiitted new batteries but I will admit they were some obscure unknow make bought at local boot sale. So after a sudden moment of inspiration I remembered that the TV remote had 4 AAA batteries and bingo problem solved. So after a lecture from her indoors about buying on the cheap (or unless it comes from Tesco it's not worth having) it's off to the shops for 4 new Durcells maybe even a spare set perhaps. It has certainly made me realize how effective and easy these movers are.

John

Edited by JohnDT

John I had the same problem - at our overnight near Dover, prior to 6 weeks touring in France.

Naturally I phoned Carver [Truma] and the guy said "have you pressed the red button twice" No says I only once. Blamed my age and thanked him feeling very silly.

So now we have a 'Press twice' sticker on the hand controller. Pathetic isn't it.

Takes all sorts and theres no fool like an old fool.

We do keep a spare set of batteries handy.

Mike :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi JohnT

We have exactly the same type and year mover and it happened to us last year.

We couldn't understand what was wrong, we went out and bought new batteries for the handset but it was still the same.

What it was in the end was there is a re-set button on the end of the control box (our box is under one of the seats). I just pressed it in and the problem was solved.

No problems since but if it happens again at least we know what it is now.

We don't know what caused it to trip, it could have been the battery was a bit dodgy and I tried moving it with the mains still attached, could have been a power surge or something.

Baker69 and all others with a mover fitted, :o

NEVER NEVER NEVER use your mover (of any make) with the mains still attached and live. :o

1. .. The motors are powerful enough to rip the battery box right out of your caravan, destroying the wall in the process. should a wheel foul the cable. :o

2. ..Your charger is only capable of approx 12 amps maximum, your mover when working hard WILL DRAW 80amps, this WILL damage your charger. :o

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year to all my customers and friends on here :)

Baxter Electrical Contractors

Hi Dave,

I never thought about it overloading the charger, hope I haven't damaged it, can I check it with a meter?

What happened was I was using the mover on site and the 85AH battery (which was on it's way out) was only able to move the van a very small distance before running out of juice altogether. I connected the mains lead back on hoping to move the van the 2-3 feet it had left to go but it didn't make any difference so I ended up reversing the car onto the van anyway.

Yes, I was always aware the cable was there and didn't worry about it too much as there was miles of slack and I was only moving it a couple of feet.

I've since bought a new battery (110 AH) so hopefully everything should be fine next time out.

Thanks for the (shouted) warning Dave, but I have used my mover with charger on several times - no problem at all, and I wouldn't expect one. The bulk of the current is drawn from the battery, with the mains unit contributing up to its maximum output as necessary. A bit of additional voltage is useful if the battery has been standing a while without a charge, especiailly on the slope that I expect my mover to go up.

GMC

Hi GMC,

The fact that with the mains connected and the battery very low there was still insufficient power to operate the mover seems to re-inforce what you are saying in that it doesn't draw directly off the charger but only from the battery.

As you say the charger would have been trying to contribute up to its max output but was still not enough to put enough power into the battery to operate the movers sufficiently.

Sorry about shouting last time, but it IS important.

where the power is drawn from can be affected by a number of factors, including the condition of battery terminals. Electricity will take the path least resistance, so if terminals are not 100% then it will try to draw from the charger.

To the best of my knowledge there has been at least one caravan on fire, as a result of using the mover whilst plugged in, and at least one more where the charger burnt out. Both had the fuses by-passed!!

if the mover is NOT working hard then it only draws 8 to 10 amps, upto 80 when working hard. Please take this seriously, it is important, and will invalidate your warranty if mis-used.

Thanks for the advice Dave.

I have a multimeter, how can I check the charger out to ensure I haven't damaged it?

Hi Baker69,

all you need do is set your multimeter to dc volts, read voltage across battery, turn on charger, read voltage across battery again.

flat battery is less than 12v :(

fully charged battery 12. 5v :)

on charge, approx 13. 5v or there abouts (depending on a number of things) :D

if it reads 14v start to worry <_<

if it reads over 14. 5 panic. :o

If readings are not clear, turn off charger, turn on a couple of lights for an hour or so (to run battery down a little) take readings again. Dont forget to recharge battery. While we are talking battery's it pays to do the discharge/recharge bit about once a month at this time of year to keep the battery healthy. dont forget that a battery is rated at 25c, and for every deg below 25c it looses 1% of capacity, So at 0degC it will be 25% down, and not capable of doing what it can in summer. (It'll go flat quicker)

Dave

Thanks for that Dave,

I'll make a note and check it out when we next go away in the van.

As you seem to be well up on batteries can you give me some advice on my new battery?

I bought it brand new a couple of months ago, and it was fully charged when I got it. I couldn't see any point in putting it on the van as it is in storage so I've kept it here at home in the warmth. It's one of these maintenance-free types and has a viewing lens on top to see the state of charge/condition. It's still on the green fully-charged condition at the moment, is there any need to charge it yet or should it need charging at all over the winter period? I've heard people say you should charge them once a month even when not in use, but as it is new and still showing a full charge I can't see the point.

What do you suggest?

Cheers,

Steve B

Hi Steve,

yes I would put it on charge for a while. As I said earlier it pays to discharge a little, then re-charge about once a month to six weeks. While talking batteries never store on a concrete floor, always on a bench or at least block of wood or pallet. Apparently it knackers the battery somehow.

Yes I know a bit about batteries, having worked with them for forty years, but also Market Harborough (home) was the base for Tungstone Batteries (now gone) so I know a lot of people who know a lot more than me about batteries in general.

Happy new year