New Caravan - Delivery/inspection Charges

lccoral

Today I was 'shopping' for new Van.

I thought retail Price was OTR [on the road] - Wrong - add another£500+ for delivery and pre-delivery inspection. What a rip-off!!!

The Motor car trade used to do this nonsense but it was outlawed [i believe] some years ago.

I am disgusted. What do others think?

Mike :angry:

I thought retail Price was OTR [on the road] - Wrong - add another£500+ for delivery and pre-delivery inspection. What a rip-off!!!

The Motor car trade used to do this nonsense but it was outlawed [i believe] some years ago.

44291[/snapback]

I reckon that there is a case for "everything" to be sold OTR. Hidden extras annoy me.

Like computer kit that used to have the ex-VAT price in great big numbers with the VAT-inclusive price in size 5 font !!! That was outlawed.

I often wonder what happens on a pdi ;) against what we think should happen :)

I suppose what I mean is, do they do a service check, a visual check, or do they have to go through everything, or just see if anyone notices? ;)

When I was in the motor trade we had a check list. .........although we went through everything as if it was our own car, :rolleyes:

really we wanted them to come back for their next car, (and servicing) after all without customers who would pay our wages. :o

However I agree, it should be all in, and no hidden extra's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I agree that the price quoted should be the price you pay, forget all this 'on the road charge' nonsense.

If there is a cost involved in pre-delivery inspections, it should be included, or deducted from the manufacturers profit.

I've just bought a new van and the list price quoted was the price I paid, no extra charge was added and I didn't haggle to achieve this, it was the price the salesman offered me.

The list price! He didn't even mention an 'on the road charge'.

So is there some light at the end of the tunnel?

Bought a new van at the beginning of the year (well, ordered at Earls Court last year) and a new car a couple of weeks ago and on both occasions the dealer quoted us all in-prices - which is what we paid.

When we purchased our brand new van we were fortunate enough to pay for it in one payment saving on Hp interest charges etc. With these terms the dealer knocked off the (OTR) charges almost immediately without me even asking, which made me think is this extra charge really needed or is it in place to make us feel like we've been given a great saving of £540 for our custom.

With this instant reduction i did haggle further and saved several hundreds of pounds in addition and received quite a few extras free. In my experience saving £1500 inc (otr) is an average price saving on a new build, i'd like to know what it really costs to build a van? :huh:

Dave

What concerned me when trawling the various dealers was the attitude that 'if you don't buy it someone else will'.

They really didn't seem to care whether I bought a van or not.

I noticed this particularly with the Bailey dealer.

I was also a cash buyer. (Perhaps this is the problem, don't the dealers make commission on the finance they sell?)

I found this most unusual and have never experienced this when in car showrooms.

Has anyone else ever found this?

Perhaps this is why these charges still apply.

We found the same thing, if you have cash they are not really bothered, we got nothing when we bought our van,and we paid the asking price. it was a case of if this is what you want, this is what you pay.

Shiba. :rolleyes:

We found the same thing, if you have cash they are not really bothered, we got nothing when we bought our van,and we paid the asking price. it was a case of if this is what you want, this is what you pay.

Shiba. :rolleyes:

44390[/snapback]

Makes you feel really keen to return to the same dealer doesn't it? (not)

Even if no discounts or other incentives were offered - a friendly attitude, and treating the customer as an individual, costs absolutely nothing but can pay dividends in continued custom.

Any dealers care to comment here?

Cheers all,

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Guest mr_sheens

all i can say is that our dealership has always quoted OTR and even the prices on the screens are OTR. not every other dealer does though. as a purchaser it is wise to ask and make sure there is no other hidden charges. a lot place the list price in the windows to make the same caravan "look" cheaper.

our salesmen are very laid back, almost horizontal, with no hard sell and they will take time to chat about your needs and your suitability.

I must admit, the dealer I finally bought from was very good, (or at least I should say the salesman was very good.)

I was just a bit disappointed with some dealers, like I stated earlier, the attitude that 'If you don't buy it, someone else will'. And again, the Bailey dealer's attitude was the worst of all!

Perhaps the demand outstrips supply at the moment, a sellers market?

But they should all take heed, the good times come to an end in all industries!

Had to pay it twice in two year and nearly a Grand :angry: it's a total RIP OFF.

Trouble is if you buy a Bed/Sofa or the likes they want to charge you even if you are prepared to take delivery from the shop (never in stock though) :angry::angry:

if its for delivery and pdi

what happens with a van thats been on forecourt as a demo

its not delivered to dealer for you but so they can sell more

also if they dont do PDI you could say that van is not fit for purpose as safety checks have not been done

all i can say is that our dealership has always quoted OTR and even the prices on the screens are OTR. not every other dealer does though. as a purchaser it is wise to ask and make sure there is no other hidden charges. a lot place the list price in the windows to make the same caravan "look" cheaper.

our salesmen are very laid back, almost horizontal, with no hard sell and they will take time to chat about your needs and your suitability.

44498[/snapback]

This is nice to see :). ........... its just a pity its not the norm with all dealers ;)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Guest Hobbybod

44291[/snapback]

I'd feel like you, Mike; thoroughly p****d off.

I can't belieeeve it!; all these stories of lousy Pretty D@amn Inadequate PDI's, extra charges and disinterested, if not rude, dealers.

Well that's not quite true; I've been made only too familiar with it.

Result is I use a German dealer who has an impeccable reputation for service, sales, courtesy and very competetive prices.

There MAY well be equally good dealers in the UK, but they are much easier to come across abroad, I'm afraid.

So spread the word folks. If you can recommend a decent UK dealer then lets hear it, so we can give them our business and hopefully the others will gently go to the wall!!

. ........................... If you can recommend a decent UK dealer then lets hear it. ...................

44553[/snapback]

Swindon Caravans at Hook, Wootton Bassett. I have had 2 vans from them, nothing but praise - including the servicings.

if its for delivery and pdi

what happens with a van thats been on forecourt as a demo

its not delivered to dealer for you but so they can sell more

also if they dont do PDI you could say that van is not fit for purpose as safety checks have not been done

44510[/snapback]

I bought a demonstrator van, the previous years model. Paid the screen price only. .. which was over £2000 off the price new!

i thought the powers that be on here, where going to have a reccomend a dealer section? whatever happened to it?

44578[/snapback]

I started a thread last week on this, but was confined to the south west area, and got loads of good feedback on some local(ish) dealers to me! Will be invaluable when I start going for a look at the latest models. ..

Here it is Thread

Guest Hobbybod
I started a thread last week on this, but was confined to the south west area, and got loads of good feedback on some local(ish) dealers to me!  Will be invaluable when I start going for a look at the latest models. ..

Here it is Thread

44583[/snapback]

Thanks for that link to Mr. Sheens query.

I also thought that a 'Recommended Dealer' list was going to be started.

If it could be 'pinned' and perhaps subdivided into geographical areas then it would prove to be a very useful resource.

The management could produce a 'pinned' up-dated index every now and again. Perhaps even with a 'feedback score' (a la e-bay) based on the posted recommendations.

It might even get me to consider UK dealers again!

Talking of which I've found Broad Lane Caravans pretty good at their Kenilworth, Rugby and Alcester branches, whenever I've had need to use them. (Which for a 'van was way back in 1989)

I bought a demonstrator van, the previous years model.   Paid the screen price only. .. which was over £2000 off the price new!

44582[/snapback]

agreed you can get some good deals on year old demo vans

but im on about this years van

2005 make & model thats been on forecout for a few months as a demo being sold at full price with delivery price on top

you can see its a demo by the amount of crushing of carpets & upholstery and sticky finger marks

Thanks to everyone who replied - I feel better knowing that others are as unhappy as I am.

Another complaint was the poor Dealer websites - often out of date - often no photos [ which I find sad in this day of Digicams]. Many sites did not have a list of New or used Caravans. Barrons I found virtually useless [plus some others that I cannot recall] too many just want you to phone in etc. Are they just too embarressed to show their prices or frightened of competition?

Is it truly a 'Sellers Market' at the moment - I'm not so sure it is.

We even tried to look at German Caravans but finding photos/layouts/ etc was hopeless. A Burstner S630TS looks promising but we are still awaiting Brochure.

Living in Cornwall we have only 1 new caravan Dealer [bailey]. Highbridge Caravans were one of the best sites for photos/info. etc. I am pleased they were recently voted best SW Dealers.

So far I have had 2 quotes for a new Van - both full RETAIL price + Delivery and PDI. The 'Trade-in-Value' was a joke. We have almost decided not to change Vans. Sad really as we were quite excited at the prospects.

My impression so far of the Caravan Industry is that it is 25 years out of date and reminds me very much of how the Motor car industry was in 70/80's and look what has happened to all the British Car Manufacturers.

Moaning completed.

That's life!!!

My impression so far of the Caravan Industry is that it is 25 years out of date and reminds me very much of how the Motor car industry was in 70/80's and look what has happened to all the British Car Manufacturers.

44658[/snapback]

My sentiments exactly!

And as I said earlier, the good times come to an end in all industries, the British car industry is a shining example of that!

Let's hope that notice is taken of threads like this one on forums like this one!

Archived