Electric Heating

Totty

I know that all about the site there are various threads on the subject of the electric heating in vans, but please beaar with me. We have a 2004 Oaklahoma which takes ages to heat-up. We have read the manual and responsibly only use the electric side of the heating system as instructed but it takes ages and ages to heat up a cold caravan upon arrival on site even with the gas, and is not at all effective when used on its own without the gas. Is this just the way they are or do we have a duff one?

I know this will be no consolation, but the electric heating on my 2003 Senator Wyoming is much the same (I assume you have the Truma heating?). My previous Carver was never a problem.

I know they can be better - my friend has a large Avondale Argente which is always nice and toasty!

One thing I keep meaning to do and it may be worth checking is to look at the sensor for the thermostat. I suspect mine is just laid in the back of the wardrobe and I am wondering if that is the cause.

Totty

My experience with our new Eccles is similar. In our previous Europa we had the Carver. Apart from the control dial and connection rod always jumping out of its seating it worked fine. We even found that on 500 watts it gave out enough heat. The Truma heater in the Eccles barely gets warm on 500 watts and the minimum seems to have to be 1000 watts to get an acceptable temperture. After a while it stops pumping out warm air despite it not being warm enough in the van. On gas it seems to work fine. When it goes in for service I will get them to check the sensor and perhaps go for a remote one. So far not impressed with Truma products as the water pump went after 6 months.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Hi there

I too used to have Carver in my old van and it was easy to use and really warmed the van up quick. Now we have a 2004 Bailey Senator Carolina and the Truma unit seems to struggle to get going. Once warm however we do find it as good at maintaining the temp as the old unit. Boosting it up on gas first does seem to speed up the process.

I have noticed however that once the stat temp. is reached the element cuts out but the fan blows on even though only cold air is coming out. I assume this is to prevent the heat exchanger cooling too quickly and warping. I am going to get it checked on the next service though because I would only expect the over-run to be for a few minutes and not indefinately.

Now we are used to the Truma system it is ok, just a bit more fiddly than the Carver!! :D

Seee thread titled "Heating" in "Caravan Chat".

It seems this is a Truma problem not restricted to Baileys

Brian

My german is rubbish, you couldn't give us the full link could you please, this sounds interesting.

4575[/snapback]

Wow I want one, :blink:

If you click on the British flag on their web page you will get the UK version

Paul

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

It appear that this problem arise because the sensor is fitted in or near the wardrobe.

I have not notice any problem with my 04 Pageant Vendee as the sensor is fitted to the front of the van and there has been time when I had to turn the control down during the night because it is too hot and that was in very cold weather.

Ok thank you, the van goes in for its first service in April, I will ask if they can fit a sensor for me. I was convinced that it was just because it was a "rubbish" heating system oversold by the salesman and we were just dissapointed.

Hi Totty,

Are you sure that you don't already have a remote sensor already fitted? My 2003 Pageant came with one fitted as standard. It is located on the underside of the overhead locker above the front side windows. It looks like a small black disc of plastic about 10mm dia from the outside.

If you don’t have a remote sensor, the sensor is located inside the control unit and if this is located close to the heat source it will cut out prematurely.

To do a quick check to see if the electric heating is working, turn off the fan and switch the heating on set the outer ring to 2000 with the thermostat turned right up to 9. You should get heat almost immediately out of the fire. If this works then put the fan on, move the 3-position selector to "A" (automatic) and the fan speed to 5. This should direct the heat through the ducting.

You should find the optimum setting for the thermostat is around 6 or 7.

When the temperature reaches the set position, the heating will cut out and the fan speed will reduce to a very low speed. The problem some experience is that the heating does not cut back in again.

I have never found the need to use the gas and as you can see from the photo we have been out in the snow.

It should work from cold with or without a remote sensor, so fitting one may not be the answer to your problems.

Brian