Wheel Clamps

tonyp

I am going to have to purchase a new wheel clamp for the new Hobby 540UFe (previously I had an alarm system - usless). I would appreciate any advice on what to avoid as well as what is the best buy.

My priorities are security, easy of fitting, weight, price.

Anybody had a van stolen with wheel clamp correctly fitted?

Any better security devices?

Many thanks tonyp

Guest john1215

If your van is desirable by the less desirable they will have a go whatever you put on. I sometime wonder if there is a "challenge" in it for the offenders.

john1215

Tony

Try attatched link:

http://www. practicalcaravan. com/product/nov04. html

However, whatever you use someone will take your van if they really want it. All you can do is make it as difficult as possible.

Roger

Sorry but asterisks supposedly hiding inappropriate language are not acceptable.

Edited by TonyW

• 2 weeks later...
Guest john1215

Roger,

That is a brilliant link. I am surprised it offers so much information as I posted a message a few months ago on the old board about Caravan magazines and Practical Camper got a fair old slating as being rubbish. I've seen a few references to it over the past few weeks and it certainly doesn't seem to be rubbish, quite the opposite in fact, are you a reader?

john1215

I had my van stolen which had the Bulldog Titan wheelclamp, Alko hitchlock, SAS alarm with tilt sensors. Van was seen being towed up the road with the alarm screaming.

I now have 2 x Titan wheelclamps, Alko hitchlock, SAS alarm, Supermule plus Sodium lighting from dusk to dawn, 3 x colour video cameras to a time stamped VCR. .......I bet they will still have a go!!

4023[/snapback]

What part of the world did this happen in? Was your van at your house?

What security do you use on site? Have you ever had any problems on holiday or aware of anyone who has had their van stolen whilst on holiday?

Pete

I have a rise and clamp wheel clamp on one wheel and a sas clamp and a bulldog euro clamp on other wheel, a bulldog mini hitchlock locked to a hitch post and one of those little locks that fit in the hitch handle and also a big notic in the back window saying "if this caravan is being towed it has been stolen please call the police". Also it is stored behind 2 gates made out of RSJ's and an alsatain running around. I would like to see them try to get it and I would love even more to see them get nicked!

My dad had his stolen about 10 years ago with hitchlock and wheel clamp and car parked up next to it and it dissapeared in the night. I even heard it go but at 3am ish I thought it was the wind. Didnt even cross my mind at 12 years old it was thieves. I was scared for years after that there maybe someone behind the van. Evil people and wish there was a way to get our own back on them.

How much is it for the satelite tracking system? I thought they were very good. Certainly if I was investing in a new van I would seriously consider it and with such a desirable van as a Hobby.

I am going to have to purchase a new wheel clamp for the new Hobby 540UFe (previously I had an alarm system - usless). I would appreciate any advice on what to avoid as well as what is the best buy.

Many thanks            tonyp

3933[/snapback]

Hi Tonyp

My advice would be for you to take your caravan to your local dealer

and try on some different makes till you find the one you like.

Up to a point it wont matter what kind you get as the only difference is that it may take them an extra couple of minutes longer . ..

Sorry to say . .If they want to steal your van they will.

They are the scum of the earth and I would like to see them all put away for life.

Happy Caravanning

Tommy G

I don,t think any device is that safe, a lad who works at our place as just had his BRAND NEW 14K Van taken off a storage site near us, he paid a fortune out for all the security locking devices only to find they taken the van and just burned all the wheel locks and hitch locks off with an accetelene burner, he found them all on the floor where his van should have been, seems thieves are wlling to go to any measures to get what they want .

If you have one of these Alko stablizers is there any other type of hitch lock that will fit over it besides the Alko on? The Alko hitchlock looks rather flimsy and as if it could be prised off. I woukld like a hitchlock that looks like a huge box an covers the drawbars and most of the jockey wheel. Make it real awkward for them thieving swines. :angry:

Guest Hobbybod

3933[/snapback]

Hi Tony, Sorry to keep referring folks to the http://www. hobby-owners-club. co. uk/forum/ but all the info. on security is there in the Security topic.

I had to get a wheel clamp for insurance purposes (NFU) and got an SAS, U-shaped one (often used on cars on Garage forecourts). However you should realise that Hobby wheels/tyres are wider than most UK ones, and you must make sure you get one which can fit ~205 tyres or bigger; first one they sold me was too small!!

Hitchlocks seem pretty useless, apart from the Winterhoff 19mm pin hitchlock (Robstop), which was the only one to defeat 'test-thieves' in a recent test.

A hardened steel pin slides through a hole in the coupling disabling the release mechanism.

I had actual thieves try to steal my 'van when parked in front of my house. They failed. They couldn''t get the old style Robstop hitchlock off and broke the hitch handle when trying. Also the SAS wheel clamp had defeated their efforts at removal, but they may have managed it with extra time.

On the Hobby forum there are postings on using mobile 'phone alarm/warning systems which do NOT need an annuual fee, like 'Tracker'. SAS do one I think, 'Text Alert' ,or something like that. Oh, and I've also got the electronic tags (Stoptheft) on my 'van; better than the CRiS system.

But if they want it they'll get it. My 'van is in a pretty secure CC storage compund now!

• 2 months later...

All locks and clamps can be removed given the correct tools and time, I used these below to protect my cars, I am selling some as I have been ordered to down size the fleet by the wife. I asked clamping companys and a few traders before i bought them and these came out as not cheap but compact easy to use and very robust against attack

They are used by the DVLA and are very difficult to remove

£110 if you want one cost £230 each new

post-1123-1112305175.jpg