New Tow Car

In the Last 18 yrs I have owned 15 Ford cars and I have always been happy with every one of them my present car is a Mondeo TDCI and I am happy with this one and it tow like a dream, I am now toying with the Idea of changing to a Kia sportage or sedona. just wondering what you Folks out there will do if you were to change car will you stick with the same car company or take a chance with another company?

Hi Yung

Am I right to think you still have your Ford Priviledge? If so why not look at the 2. 2TCDi mondeo. My youngest son has just got one and he reckons its the bees knees (not quite what he said!) I have been in the car and it is really nice. He's got the ST model.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Changed my Mondeo TDCI last Thursday back to a VW, as had all sorts changed under the bonnet and it still ran like a bag of spanners when cold.

Ford basically ran out of ideas on what to change next, which is a shame because it was a great towcar.

Great deals to be had at present on the last of the old shape Passats.

Andrew

I'm thinking of moving away from Ford having had 2 Mondeos in a row! Its more for a change as much as anything else. Not had any (and I mean any) serious faults in the last 3 years driving them. Just bored of looking at the same dash. .. ;)

Company car list only covers Ford group, VAG, BMW & Merc. Unfortunately the grade I'm on doesnt give a startling selection, so it will probably be a Passat estate. ..

It always depends what you want to use the car for - besides as a caravan tug - we had a Peugeot 406 2. 2 HDi Estate, a terrific car, comfortable, extremely roomy and towed very well BUT you could feel the van pushing you when slowing HOWEVER we needed the space in the back for moving house and DIY materials etc.

Having completed our move and (hopefully) our DIY we decided to get something that I felt happier with when towing - hence the Kia Sorento now sits in our proverbial stable. A fantastic 'tug', extremely comfortable, still got reasonable economy and whilst no where near as much load space as the the big Pug 406 it has enough for our needs.

And whilst I would have loved to keep British workmen busy by buying a Disco I just could not justify the EXTRA £15,000. 00 for the same spec as the XS Sorento.

I'm thinking of moving away from Ford having had 2 Mondeos in a row!  Its more for a change as much as anything else.   Not had any (and I mean any) serious faults in the last 3 years driving them.   Just bored of looking at the same dash. .. ;)

Company car list only covers Ford group, VAG, BMW & Merc.   Unfortunately the grade I'm on doesnt give a startling selection, so it will probably be a Passat estate. ..

44257[/snapback]

Gazhyde

I am in the same position as you but the other way round. I have had two Passats in a row the latest being the estate version and am just about to move to an X Trail. You will not be disapointed in the Passat the only reason I am not haing a third is I fancy something different. Current car is the 1. 8 Turbo tows very well and better than I expected for a petrol car, we wizzed past many 4x4's on our way to Cornwall and back which just slowed going up hill! Personally I would get a diesel passat as the petrol versions have low towing limits on my car its just 1300kg.

Mark

I'm thinking of moving away from Ford having had 2 Mondeos in a row!  Its more for a change as much as anything else.   Not had any (and I mean any) serious faults in the last 3 years driving them.   Just bored of looking at the same dash. .. ;)

Company car list only covers Ford group, VAG, BMW & Merc.   Unfortunately the grade I'm on doesnt give a startling selection, so it will probably be a Passat estate. ..

44257[/snapback]

Nothing wrong with a Passat Estate! Bought ours before we started towing again, otherwise we would have gone for the diesel, but we manage fine, as long as we don't get on a really muddy field. The load capacity is brilliant, and the 12v connector in the boot to run the coolbox is great for having the drinks (oops, I mean the meat and things!) at the right temperature when we arrive! We just returned to caravanning this year, and we're loving it all over again.

Yes David still on Ford privilege and that is the only thing that make me buying Ford because for £11,000 - £13000 for a Mondeo I think it is good value for money. by the way the Mondeo ST is not recomended for towing by Ford

by the way the Mondeo ST is not recomended for towing by Ford

Hi Yung

Simon does not intend to tow with his but the same engine is available (as you know) in the other models. By the way why don't they recommend the ST is it the suspension?

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Hi Yung

Simon does not intend to tow with his but the same engine is available (as you know) in the other models. By the way why don't they recommend the ST is it the suspension?

David

44337[/snapback]

suspension and rear bumper need to be changed before towing

• 1 year later...

but ford publish it can tow a braked trailer up to 1800kg . ....confussing !!??

FORD MONDEO 2. 2TDCi ST (155ps) 5d (05)

Production 16 Jun 2005 until now

Length 4804 mm

Weight 1562 kg

Gears 6 Speed

PerformanceEngine Size 2198 cc

0-60 mph 8. 4 s

Power Output 152 bhp

Torque 360 Nm 265 lb-ft

Top Speed 134 mph

Unbraked Towing Weight -

Braked Towing Weight 1800 kg :D

CostsMPG 44

Insurance Group 13

Euro Emissions Standard IV

CO2 Emissions 166 g/km

but ford publish it can tow a braked trailer up to 1800kg . ....confussing !!??

FORD MONDEO 2. 2TDCi ST (155ps) 5d (05)

Production 16 Jun 2005 until now

Length 4804 mm

Weight 1562 kg

Gears 6 Speed

PerformanceEngine Size 2198 cc

0-60 mph 8. 4 s

Power Output 152 bhp

Torque 360 Nm 265 lb-ft

Top Speed 134 mph

Unbraked Towing Weight -

Braked Towing Weight 1800 kg :D

CostsMPG 44

Insurance Group 13

Euro Emissions Standard IV

CO2 Emissions 166 g/km

Oooh an old thread dug up.

The ST TDCi is approved for towing but the ST V6 petrol isn't.

Cheers

Lee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

Oooh an old thread dug up.

The ST TDCi is approved for towing but the ST V6 petrol isn't.

Cheers

Lee

yes indeed so, i did a quick search and all has now been answered. many thanks to all.

Anyone know a good st tdci estate for sale ???

max

Edited by maxiboy