Sign in to follow this  
mayblossom

Not Very Secure Storage!

My friend has just rung me and is really upset as the warden from Camping and caravanning site in West Horsley, Surrey, has just told her they've had a break in overnight and some lowlife has been and damaged her van, not sure to what extent or how many have other vans have been vandalised, apparently lots of jockey wheels have been taken off and thrown around :( happened between 11pm and 7am . Must have gained entry from the back of the storage area as access is actually throughout the site, really surprised no one heard anything as the site is quite full at the moment. Had a look on Google and not sure if the set up is the same now but it backs onto tracks so I suppose easily accessible. Feel so sorry for her as her and her family are due to go away week after next :( police are there now so she's not allowed to go and see just how bad things are.

feel for me i am ther unlucky one who had his brand new one week old caravan stolen last night from that storage facilty

they gained entry through the front gates and then drove it back out that way breaking every bit of security in its path.

noone saw a thing, funny how many times those net curtains twitch during the day, but on this occasion everyone was on sleeping tablets

i think your friend will be alright, from what i saw, there were a couple of jockeys missing and the worse damage was my mate next to me who had his front locker and front door forced open.

Sorry to hear about the theft of your van. I'm surprised that thieves intent upon taking a van should mess around playing with jockey wheels! Don't you think that's strange?

Assuming, of course, the events are linked!

Edited by John_b_45

very strange indeed, unless they needed one specifcally for their own van and wanted to save a tenner

A couple of years ago mine was broken into, nothing stolen, just the fly screen/ strips at the door or nicely platted. .....

a week later they came back and stole it. ..., and put everything they didnt want in a nice tidy pile on the slabs at the side.

It was an oldish van, a 1990 Lunar Delta twin axle end bed room,but they moved 3 or 4 almost brand new vans to get it out thro the fence in the compound and across 2 fields to the road, they must have spent hours getting it out, nobody heard a thing. ..

out of 40 plus vans mine was the only one touched. ....I keep looking :ph34r:

I dont believe it. ..

brand new one week old caravan stolen last night
Justin,

I am always sorry to hear of people's property being damaged or stolen, but providing it would not prejudice any police enquiry, would you like to put the model details on our "stolen" caravan section of the forum?

Gordon.

Thanks Gordon,

I have entered the following on the stolen section, (Link to stolen caravans section added by Admin)

good idea

I am gutted my brand new Hobby Premium 560 CFe just been stolen last night from the secure storage at Horsley Caravanning and Camping Club Site in Surrey

its only a week old and had loads of extras on it

including beige leather

Gas oven above fridge

Extractor fan above hob

Autark Package

Spare alloy Wheel and bracket

and a brand new premium light awning still in its box

i loaded it on Tuesday with all our gear so we could go away in it tonight and some one stole it

the chassis number is WHB24U58H0FC35480

the Police officer in charge is DC Jackie Green, 01483 639800 ext 2627 or 01483 571212

SUBSTANTIAL REWARD FOR INFO THAT WILL GET IT BACK

i can't get another one til the autumn and waited 5 months for that one!

please keep an eye out for this single axle 560 CFe

speak to the police with any confidential info you have please

regards

Justin

I am so sorry Justin. Have just come back from checking my friends van at the site and I find it all very strange that no one saw anything, why were all the gates not locked at night, and if your van was stolen between 11 and 7 like the warden suggests how come the people staying in the vans on the track to the compound heard nothing, wardens on site too, all very strange. I can't imagine how you are feeling. For some reason they took the jockey wheel fro my friends van and bits were dumped outside the storage gates and the wheel thrown some distance from the van. I thought it odd that these bits hadn't been picked up, just left where they were. Really hoping your van can be found Justin, a really horrible thing to go through. :(

My feelings go out to those on this thread who have had their caravans damaged, or worse,

stolen. It's sad that there are so many now who will, without any thought steal something that

another has worked long and hard to pay for

All those "liberal-minded " folk who called out for more lenient punishments please stand and

take a bow :angry: :angry: !!

Hmm?

Edited by Wayneskie

I discovered this weekend when i visited my caravan, which is in secure storage at Canterbury C&C, site that someone had jemmied open the door and stolen a knob from the top of the Truma heater! The site tell me that there was a break-in in December but they didn't notice the damage to my door and frame so I wasn't notified. They towed it onto a pitch for me on Friday still without noticing the damage. I had a quote of around £5/600 to replace the door and frame and i am worried now that when I notify the insurers tomorrow, I will have fallen foul of the 'notify within 30 days rule'.

its the same allover the ownes take money but dont put back into there sites they seem to think its ok to just carry on taking the £££££££££££

Strange reading about "thugs" breaking into secured caravan storage sites. Only this evening I had a phone call from a friend who lives in Staffordshire and she told me that where they park their caravan there had been a break-in and jockey wheels had been stolen from some of the caravans. Fortunately their new Bailey Unicorn Valancia had not been touched, this site had a code on the gate to get in. My friend also told me one of the latest scams is people buying up old cheap caravans getting them stored on secured sites and then going in and taking the new caravans. Seems to me these people have no shame and will doing anything to make money.

Justin - so sorry to hear about the theft of your new caravan, & hope you get the insurance through & a new van quickly (not sure I would want a van back after it was stolen).

Acklam - hope you have no problems with the insurance. If there is a problem, perhaps the storage owners might cough up as they didn't tell you there'd been a break in to give you the opportunity to visit your van as soon as you could to check on it.

Joan - can well believe that they do the cheap van thing. ...hopefully I can sleep soundly in the knowledge our storage has a huge waiting list so that would deter any would be thief!!!

Sign in to follow this